: Starter problems?

cadi197
02-26-07, 11:37 AM
I have a 1996 Cadillac Devile with the 4.6l northstar. Recently it has seemed like the car is cranking slower. Also when the it starts it makes a noise like the starter armature is not disengaging......squeal kinda like you trying to start it when it is already started. The battery is a Optima and is fairly new. Seems like it does it only when the car has sat overnight or so. Am I safe to say that the starter needs replaced? Thanks for any help.

dkozloski
02-26-07, 01:02 PM
I have a 1996 Cadillac Devile with the 4.6l northstar. Recently it has seemed like the car is cranking slower. Also when the it starts it makes a noise like the starter armature is not disengaging......squeal kinda like you trying to start it when it is already started. The battery is a Optima and is fairly new. Seems like it does it only when the car has sat overnight or so. Am I safe to say that the starter needs replaced? Thanks for any help.
It sounds to me like you could remove the starter, clean the dirt and grease out of the drive, and it might be okay.

cadi197
02-26-07, 02:32 PM
Just got back from an auto parts store. I used their equipment (used to work there myself) and the battery & altenator tested fine. When I tested the starter it said "High Current Draw". I guess I will be replacing the starter tonight so I don't hurt my battery any more than it has already done.