07 - Dead Battery - MYSTERY SOLVED
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 07 - Dead Battery - MYSTERY SOLVED in Cadillac Escalade Forums; In a thread I started yestered, titled 07 - Dead Battery - Clues, I now have been able to repeat ...
    AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

07 - Dead Battery - MYSTERY SOLVED

In a thread I started yestered, titled 07 - Dead Battery - Clues, I now have been able to repeat the steps, and guarantee a dead battery by morning.

The last thing I had done was take CD's out of the Escalade for a trip to town in the BMW. By repeating these steps, you too can kill your battery.

1. Hold the CD EJECT button for 6+ seconds, and ALL CD's spit out.

2. Hold the CD LOAD button for 6+ seconds, and only put in 1 CD.

Just sit tight, and wait. Your CD player will keep spinning indefinitely, waiting for more CD's, until the battery dies.

Nice feature!

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

'06 QuickSilver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Escalade Ext

Re: 07 - Dead Battery - MYSTERY SOLVED

looooooooooooooooooooooool

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I did this 3 times in my newest 07', after about 30 seconds it shut off completely and stopped running.

I'm wondering if I need a software update. My vehicle was built in February. I noticed on the TIS web-site that several updates have been made on the NAV/RAD system(s). Can't seem to identify anything specific, but it looks like they've been busy fixing things.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Do you have ANY aftermarket equipment installed in this vehicle, lojack, DVD, whatever?
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to hold the load or eject button for 6 seconds? Does this initiate some special "load all" or "eject all" feature?
    There does appear to be a software update available but GM doesn't really outline what this is for other than "problems loading or ejecting CDs or DVDs".

There is nothing aftermarket on this vehicle.

The 6 second hold on the LOAD allows all CD's to be "speed loaded".

Same with the EJECT. It will unload everything pretty quickly.

Dave

If you can show the dealer what makes it happen and they can get it to act up they should be able to fix it for you.
    I'd try the software update first and then order a new radio.
    The key is being able to make it act up.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

I think I'll keep my 03 Lade a little longer. That's some pretty good problem solving to find that's what was killing the battery. Nice work.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I think I'll keep my 03 Lade a little longer. That's some pretty good problem solving to find that's what was killing the battery. Nice work.
    It's not only the 2007's that this happens to. When I had my 2003 Escalade, the battery died all the time. It turns out that the battery was bad from the factory and I had to replace it like a few months after buying the car. However, my 2005 has had no battery problems at all. Very pleased with it.

Thanks.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Cadillac Escalade View Post
    It's not only the 2007's that this happens to. When I had my 2003 Escalade, the battery died all the time. It turns out that the battery was bad from the factory and I had to replace it like a few months after buying the car. However, my 2005 has had no battery problems at all. Very pleased with it.

Thanks.
    What's the point of your post exactly? Don't feel like you have to defend the 07 Lade, because I'm not trashing it.

I didn't imply electrical problems were limited only to the 07. This is the first I've ever heard of the CD player (specifically) draining the battery. I've never heard of this phenomenon from the 03-06s. There have been other electrical demons with the 03-06 models, but most all the bugs have reared their head. The 07 will have it's own set of bugs that may take awhile to emerge....and that idea isn't specific to any make or model of vehicle. I'm leary of jumping into new models for this reason, among others. YMMV
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    What's the point of your post exactly? Don't feel like you have to defend the 07 Lade, because I'm not trashing it.

I didn't imply electrical problems were limited only to the 07. This is the first I've ever heard of the CD player (specifically) draining the battery. I've never heard of this phenomenon from the 03-06s. There have been other electrical demons with the 03-06 models, but most all the bugs have reared their head. The 07 will have it's own set of bugs that may take awhile to emerge....and that idea isn't specific to any make or model of vehicle. I'm leary of jumping into new models for this reason, among others. YMMV
    I'm not defending the 2007, just stating that it happened to my previous 2003 as well. I just wanted to put that out there. I don't think that any GM battery is good and I would replace the battery in any GM car than I own. I question jumping into new models as well due to small bugs and certain kinks that need to be fixed, but this 2007 seems pretty well equipped.

Thanks.

esv007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade

MY 07 Escalade has died 3 times. 2 times when I brought it to an after market alarm place who thought it was because the doors were opened...
    1 time in my driveway... I also thought it was the cd spinning but after a while I thought it stopped...

Well, now this time, I had to call GM Roadside service... while camping. It took only 1 CD of music to drain the battery.

This makes 3 full discharges on my battery. The plates must be burned clean by now.

I guess I'll have to go to the dealer now...

I wonder if the dealer's service department can to see my road-side service calls?

Dave

Yes, your roadside calls show up in the vehicle's warranty history.
    It just needs enough time for them to be processed to show up in the records.
    Usually less than a week.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.