07 - Dead Battery - Clues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 07 - Dead Battery - Clues in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I know there was a previous thread, but why not hash it again. I washed the Esky Saturday afternoon, put ...
    AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

07 - Dead Battery - Clues

I know there was a previous thread, but why not hash it again.

I washed the Esky Saturday afternoon, put it in the garage. Sunday afternoon, go to start it and its dead. Not enough juice to even get a slight glow out of my test-light on the battery posts (checking for loose cables).

However, I did do something Saturday that may be a clue to what happened.

After putting the caddy away after its bath, I went inside, and unloaded the CD changer, since the wife and I were taking the BMW to town.

I'm wondering if doing this without the ignition on somehow caused the whole NAV/Radio system (and amp) to power on, without it properly shutting down after 10 minutes.

There were 2 others on this forum who have experienced the dead battery thing. Does this sound like something you might have done too?

I looked on the TIS thing, and noticed that there are plenty of software updates for the NAV/Radio, but the service depts says there are no SBs on this issue.

Anyone have any information?

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: 07 - Dead Battery - Clues

I have had many GM cars and trucks over that past 10 years, probably 7 out of 15 the battery died in the first 6 months, most of the other were dead in 2 years. I now replace them (I have two red tops on order) with Optima's as soon as I get a new car or truck. I just don't think they are very good, or at least the ones I have had.

Thing is, it's odd to have a battery totally discharge in less than 12 hours, unless there is a drain on it.

When I hooked up a trickel charger, it's charging time indicated a fully dead battery, slowing coming back to life. If there was a plate problem, sometimes the battery kicks back into a full charge. Not in this case.

Also, there wasn't anything that "jarred" the battery, which might make a plate slip, and discharge. Once charged, started it, and today, its fine.

However, since it experienced a full discharge, the life of the battery is now shortened considerably.

Hopefully, the dealer will replace it, but I'm not so confident they will, without it showing internal problems (on a tester).

Dave

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Dave, some of my new SUV's would work one day and the next day they were dead, never any warning, and at first a completely dead battery was the last thing you would think it could be, but as I said it has happened to me many times.

ARIZONARAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Ok...here's The Scoop....i Have A 2002 Escalade...replaced Battery 3 Times Already. Then Noticed That When I Shut Off The Ignition, The Odometer And The- P R N D-, Stay Lit (it's Blue)! I Set The Alarm And Went In The House...went Back Out About 20 Minutes Later To Check It....and It Was Still Lit Blue, And Also The Battery Light Was Lit Up!
    I Got Back In The Truck And Turned The Ignition On, Then Off Again..lo And Behold It Went Off! And So Did The Red Battery Light!
    Then I Started Fiddling With The Ignition And Realized How Touch It Was...i Can Actually Turn The Ignition With My Finger, And The Odometer Will Light Up...turn It Back Abd It Goes Out!
    Can We Say Defect!.........

Sincerely,
    Arizonaran

RANGER 66 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 EXT

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I took the truck to get the windows tinted and everything was fine. After the guy finishes with my window no more than 45 minutes later, I get in the truck after the guy drives it out of the work bay and it wouldn't start. The thing wouldn't turn over and the service engine light came on. I tried it a few times and nothing happened. I got a jump and went to the local autoparts store and bought a redtop. I agree with HCVONE about the GM batteries. I had the same thing happen to me with my last GM SUV. Get a optima and never look back.

RLTW

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

When my battery died, it was shorting itself out every so often. Sometimes it would start, other times it wouldn't. I replaced it with an AC Delco and haven't had any problems with it so far (3 years now that I think about it). After this winter I'll probably switch to an optima, I think the winters in Binghamton will have claimed their prize.
    ~Steve

skahn1@aol.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Cadillac EXT

The third day I had my 07 EXT, 8/20 I was heading 20 miles to the lake all highway, and my battery light came on and message said "check charging system." Parked truck and the next day it would not start. Leaving my boat to run up to the store, I had to jump the battery. I went into the store and left it running for 30 mins thinking it would charge. Got back to the lake, turned off the truck and it was dead. The next day leaving the boat, I had to jump it again. Well, drove back home, thinking Monday morning I would have to jump it again. I was wrong it started fine, and I have had no problem until 2 days ago when the battery light and "service charging system" message returned while driving on highway. Been to busy to get to the dealship, although I have notified them.No problems starting since the lights appeared briefly a few days ago. Will keep you posted........Steve

I found out how the dead battery happened. Not wanting to wait for an unexpected dead battery again, I tried to repeat the last things I did the day before it died.

I've found the flaw.... I'm starting another thread for the answer...

mikeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Never happened to me but Ive had problems starting my car, I thought I had a bad starter, fuel pump, filter, all that. Turns out PASSLOCK is messed up and didnt recognize that I was using the factory key.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.