Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I just bought a new 07 Escalade a couple of weeks ago. I often use the flash to pass on ...
    fridaym5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's

I just bought a new 07 Escalade a couple of weeks ago. I often use the flash to pass on all the vehicles that I have owned. I was trying to use it the other day and it didn't seem to be working. I took it into the dealer and the dealer claims that it only works while the headlights are on. This seems not only stupid but also dangerous. I checked other escalades and they are all the same. I checked several other models of Cadillacs and they work as expected - even when the lights are off you can flash. I got home and read in my manual on page 198 and it clearly says that the flash to pass feature should work at all times, even when the lights are in auto position. I don't believe that any other cars on the road work like this. Why would they do this on the Escalade only.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's

Are you pulling the lever towards you or pushing it away from you?
    FTP only works if you pull the lever back towards yourself.
    It's opposite of activating the high beams.
    The normal high beam (push away) will only turn on the high beams with the lights on.

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    The normal high beam (push away) will only turn on the high beams with the lights on.

Thanks.

AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a theory about this. HID's take several seconds to "warm up". Since the high-beams are not Halogen like the 03-06 models, there simply isn't a valid solution for this feature.

If you notice some of the other German cars with HID only lights (Audi), the HID's are lit up as DRL's, and so are already "hot" for flashing. Those with Halogen high-beams don't need this.

And if you didn't already notice, the high-beam flashing when the lights are hot (on the '07) is rather lethargic.

Dave

I also have a 06 corvette - flash feature works fine , also read page 198 in your manual says it should work anytime.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by AWF_AXIS View Post
    I have a theory about this. HID's take several seconds to "warm up". Since the high-beams are not Halogen like the 03-06 models, there simply isn't a valid solution for this feature.

If you notice some of the other German cars with HID only lights (Audi), the HID's are lit up as DRL's, and so are already "hot" for flashing. Those with Halogen high-beams don't need this.

And if you didn't already notice, the high-beam flashing when the lights are hot (on the '07) is rather lethargic.

Dave
    The high beams are halogen, only low beams are HID

The flash to pass does not work on either of my 07's unless the headlights are on, and of course this is not correct.

I'll check a couple of them but that's how it has worked for quite a few years now. Maybe something is different.
    I only get to mess with them if they are broken so I am going off experience here.

I'll check a couple of them but that's how it has worked for quite a few years now. Maybe something is different.
    I only get to mess with them if they are broken so I am going off experience here.
    EW, the lever pulls back like it should work how the earlier years did, but nothing happens. Did you get a chance to look into the radio deal with the aux. Thank you

AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    The high beams are halogen, only low beams are HID
    Actually, on the '07s, if you look, there is no Halogen HIGH beams. There is a internal shutter behind the HID lens that opens the beam up as a high beam.

This is pretty easy to see by just looking at the front of the truck with the high-beam on, and listening to the high-beam solenoid activate as you "flash to pass".

It's the time it takes the solenoid to activiate that gives it the "sluggish" feel, compared to a halogen light.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AWF_AXIS View Post
    Actually, on the '07s, if you look, there is no Halogen HIGH beams. There is a internal shutter behind the HID lens that opens the beam up as a high beam.

This is pretty easy to see by just looking at the front of the truck with the high-beam on, and listening to the high-beam solenoid activate as you "flash to pass".

It's the time it takes the solenoid to activiate that gives it the "sluggish" feel, compared to a halogen light.

Dave
    You are correct, and I stand corrected. I was just checking it out, and now understand why there can not be a "flash to pass" now, they are using the same HID for low and high beams. What's pretty strange is in the 07' headlight assy. there are three sets of lights, the lowest are the HID low and high beams, the top is day time running lights (which can be turned off by rotating the headlight know to the left) there are bulbs in the center position that do not seem to come on.

Read Pg 198 in your manual - they should work anytime.This is not only wrong its dangerous, show me other vehicles that work like this.lets get to the bottom of this-I rely on this feature.

It doesn't work anytime.
    I looked at it today, not sure why it even has the switch that pulls back.

I'll try to look into it some more, it looks like with HIDs this feature is not possible. They won't strike the lamps for an instant, it would burn up the lights for that. It should use the incandescent bulbs in the top but those might only be DRL.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone really honestly and truthfully use this feature?
    I know the argument is "it says so in the owners manual" but truth be told.... is this something you really use or what?
    Just asking out of curiosity, please don't read anything into it.

EW, I have been looking into too, you can still use it with the headlights on to flash someone with their highbeams on. I use it on the highway when I am behind someone to get out of the way, but can live with out it. I want to see how they work so I plan to pull the headlight assy out to check it out.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Just out of curiosity, does anyone really honestly and truthfully use this feature?.
    no because you never know if the person you flash is a psycho who will kill you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.