Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's in Cadillac Escalade Forums; The question about whether anyone really uses this is based on locality. Having worked in the England for a while, ...
    AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Warning about flash to pass feature on 07's

The question about whether anyone really uses this is based on locality. Having worked in the England for a while, it is typical to flash someone to give them the "go ahead", if someone is pulling onto the road

In the US, it means "Dont even think about it".

Also, the flash to pass is pretty common. Even on 2-lane roads, it gives warning of a pass. Many times, the slower driver will yield (or slow down) in order to make passing safer. On 4 lanes, they pull over pretty quickly.

Here [in the US], I usually get dumbfounded looks or the finger.

Dave

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The few minutes I have had to look into this indicate that any Cadi that uses HIDs for low and high beams are not going to have the FTP feature.
    As I stated before the XLR and apparently the '07 Escalade use HIDs for the low beam with a small door covering half of the beam, when you switch to high beams it moves the doors up but no lighting changes happen.
    On the lamps with HIDs for low beams and incandescent (halogen) lamps for high beams the halogens will do FTP.
    The owner's manual may be too generic. I have seen GM print left over information before that is not entirely accurate. Once it's in print it's hard to change.

I asked whether people use it or not because I feel the same way as some others. I feel if I used FTP for what it was intended for I'd get flipped off, followed and beat up or shot.
    I use the FTP feature mostly to flash other drivers to let them know their high beams are on (oncoming).
    I know in Europe people are different.
    Just curious, that's all.

AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ewill3rd,

Can you take a look at my thread titled "'07 - Dead Battery MYSTERY SOLVED" and let me know if you have any suggestions.

How would I approach the dealer so that they don't roll their eyes at me?

Thanks,

Dave

I'll take a peek.

fridaym5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

EW-Here in seattle I use FTP all the time.On a busy road l'll leave a gap and flash a oncoming car to allow a left turn. when lg rigs pass use FTP let them know its ok to merge left. And also just to say Hi. Usually never use behind another driver-It's not to acceptable here. Yes I use FTP alot.

EW - CadillacTech Do you have more info on this prob. Thanks

I have to confess I have been quite busy.

Based on what I said in my last post and what I have seen, I'd say that if it has full HID headlamp systems and no incandescent headlamp bulbs that flash to pass will not work unless the lights are on.
    I am sure it has to do with the hardware in the lamps themselves.
    I don't think this feature is required by law and that they just did it voluntarily, but with HIDs you can't strike them for a feature like flash to pass and then turn them back off repeatedly or they will be ruined quickly, and if you have ever had to replace an HID lamp and ballast, you know it's not cheap to do.

jaycough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 esv

ok got a question, the headlamp assembly has three lights, top is DRL, bottom is HID, what is the middle one for? no matter what I do I can't turn it on. Owners manual silent.
    Pass to flash doesn't work, but if you press key fob HID lights up, so it works for that but not pass to flash?

Anyone?

I am not sure what lights up when you press the transmitter, next time I get my hands on one, I'll look at that.
    Do they light and stay lit or just flash? Day, night, or always?
    Not sure what the middle one is for and I can't get to the service manual right now. I haven't worked on enough of these to know what the standard and optional equipment packages are.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by jaycough View Post
    ok got a question, the headlamp assembly has three lights, top is DRL, bottom is HID, what is the middle one for? no matter what I do I can't turn it on. Owners manual silent.
    Pass to flash doesn't work, but if you press key fob HID lights up, so it works for that but not pass to flash?

Anyone?
    The bottom is the HID's, the middle is DRL and the top is parking lights (I might have the top and middle mixed up)

jaycough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 esv

on mine, parking lights just light tail and amber on side of headlamp. top is DRL and the middle doesn't do a thing.

HID lights up and stays on when you hit fob for 10-15 seconds

Is that where they were suppose to put FTP ?

No there is no flash to pass with this light setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycough View Post
    on mine, parking lights just light tail and amber on side of headlamp. top is DRL and the middle doesn't do a thing.

HID lights up and stays on when you hit fob for 10-15 seconds
    Just got back from the local Caddy dealer. the headlights, the bottom is the HID light, the middle is daytime running lights, the top is parking lights. It was this way on mine and 3 others.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

If you partially depress or lift the turn signal stalk (not enough to lock it down or up) the signal will quickly flash 3 times. I advise my customers to use this to signal a pass or a "go ahead". If you're in the "Tow/Haul" mode, it will flash 4 times.

This is acheived by pressing down or up on the stalk, not forward or back like using the high beams.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.