Type of gas for your 07 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Type of gas for your 07 in Cadillac Escalade Forums; The only major difference between regular and premium is the octane level and maybe some added detergents. The 07 manual ...
    2007EXT4ME is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Type of gas for your 07

The only major difference between regular and premium is the octane level and maybe some added detergents.

The 07 manual calls for premium, as i am sure the 02-06 does also. Now why you can tell a difference in the older models but you cant in the 07...i dont know. I am sure it isnt because of some "special filter" though.

Keep in mind, not all gasolines are the same either. It is also possible that you got ahold of some bad gas.

I will try it though and if i dont lose any performance, mileage and i cant tell any difference...then i will run regular also. Why pay extra if it doesnt help anything???

TL408 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade

Well....I'm almost done with my first tank of gas, this is the free tank that came with the truck. I didn't remember to ask them what they filled up with. But I'll fill it up with regular and let you guys know soon.

Cheers
    -TL408

hog4oc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The only difference between regular and 91 is when the truck start from stop, the premium give you better acceralation, the 87 grade you have to step the gas padel harder.

Once you put the air intake, there's none difference.

CDBLU is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just got my 07 escalade on Sunday, and I asked the salesman what type of fuel he just put in it, while I was filling out the paper work. He said regular...and assured me that regular was the way to go...

Is he right or wrong.....the debate continues...............

ALLeyez187onME is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

exactly what my dealer told me. he said that you can use whatever you want, but regular and premium will make no difference. so i use regular to save a few bux for FOOD

AWF_AXIS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The reason the GM engineer's recommend Premuim is to provide the most HP and Torque under load. The computer system will compensate for Regular by retarding the ignition timing just enough to prevent pinging, however, it can't do this unless it senses the pinging first.

The 6.2 engine has 10.5 compression, which is higher than most other GM engines. In order to get the 403 HP rating, GM needed the higher octane to prevent pinging with optimal ignition timing.

That being said, to use regular under daily driving conditions is probably fine. As for real-world experience, when towing, I had momentary pinging when accelerating (using regular).

When filled with premium, no such pinging is detected.

I don't put a lot of stock in what the "dealer" or "salesmen" say. After all, someone earlier said one of these "dealer" guru's said a "filter" allows the use of regular.

Dave

reginald.r.hawkins is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When I bought my 2004 Escalade the dealership told me I can put regular in it. I use to drive a Deville and it tells you to use Premium. Well I was putting in Super gas in the Esc. and I wasn't getting a good acceleration. So I let the tank go all the way to empty then put in Regular, and as soon as I drove out the gas station I was getting quicker acceleration . So I been using regular ever since, and have had no problems.

You got better acceleration out of regular? What about gas mileage?

IMO, if premium is recommended, why not use...regardless of if you can "feel" a difference or not. I mean seriously, what are we talking about...maybe an extra 5$ for a tank of gas?

I just dont see what the big deal is. Once every tank of gas, bypass McDonalds and go home and eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and there you go, same difference.

bblucero is offline Cadillac Owners Member

(2007EXT4ME.. That's funny)-- My husband and I have been using premium because that's what the 2007 book recommends. I guess there is no cut and dry answer. When we picked up the truck they did fill it with regular gas also.

Im glad you got a laugh out of it, i kinda giggled when i was typing it. I am gonna use premium all the time.

reginald.r.hawkins is offline Cadillac Owners Member

By the way I'm getting good gas mileage.

boatmanea is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): White diamond '04 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 2007EXT4ME
    The only major difference between regular and premium is the octane level and maybe some added detergents.

The 07 manual calls for premium, as i am sure the 02-06 does also. Now why you can tell a difference in the older models but you cant in the 07...i dont know. I am sure it isnt because of some "special filter" though.

Keep in mind, not all gasolines are the same either. It is also possible that you got ahold of some bad gas.

I will try it though and if i dont lose any performance, mileage and i cant tell any difference...then i will run regular also. Why pay extra if it doesnt help anything???
    The '04 manual reccomends regular grade gasoline. That was one of the reasons I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by boatmanea
    The '04 manual reccomends regular grade gasoline. That was one of the reasons I bought it.
    Roger that. I guess my "assumption" made an "ass" out of me.

boatmanea is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): White diamond '04 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 2007EXT4ME
    Roger that. I guess my "assumption" made an "ass" out of me.
    Not trying to bring you down, bud, just clarifying. No hostile intent implied.

It's interesting to me that the '07 recommends premium gas (according to the peeps on the forum) but tolerates regular. Honestly it makes no sense to me. No aftermarket fuel additive or product (Octane Booster, Tornado, etc...) has ever been proven to make a shred of difference to the octane or performance of the vehicle (in MPG).

As far as I'm concerned, what the book says, goes - CYA if you know what I mean. If you ever had a problem with the engine or anything related and the dealer finds out you were running regular when premium was reccomended, you're SOL.

My 2 cents.

RCJFC888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was reading the owners manual and it said premium is recomended but you can use regular.It also said you might get some pinging and acceleration might not be as good as when using premium. I have been using 89 octane with no problems I have had my 07 for about three months now. Gas mileage seems kind of bad I think I am averaging 12 miles per gallon but it is what it is. I didn't expect to get great gas mileage when I bought it, if I was looking for 35-40 miles per gallon I would of bought a Prius.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.