Hybrid Cadillac Escalade to be offered in fall of 2007 - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Hybrid Cadillac Escalade to be offered in fall of 2007 in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Wow, this one is a real thread that needs the attention of the mythbusters for sure. I see a lot ...
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Hybrid Cadillac Escalade to be offered in fall of 2007

Wow, this one is a real thread that needs the attention of the mythbusters for sure. I see a lot of comments based on a total lack of understanding on how hybrid vehicles work.
    Having been trained on the Hybrid Silverado trucks that have been out for a few years already I can tell you a little about how those work and how Cadillack will probably do it.

First of all, it's not a battery run car, but it does have additional batteries. Three of them in fact, mounted under the rear seat and connected in series. They are 14 volts each and total up for a 42 volt system. I think they are expensive but only to the tune of about $300 each and as far as I know there is no scheduled swap out period, you'd replace them as they went bad, but it would probably be a good idea to replace them in sets. There are a few more control modules to do additional work for the hybrid system, no conventional starter or alternator and a special torque converter.
    The starter/generator goes between the flywheel and the torque converter and makes the vehicle start and helps it stop with "regenerative braking".
    It starts the gas engine and assists it to get going on it's own. Under certain conditions the gas engine shuts off and it uses electric motors to maintain power steering and heat, but if the A/C is on, the engine keeps running. It does this primarly at stops to elminate idle time.
    Thinking back I do believe there was some mention of the system operating under certain cruise conditions but it's not designed to "add power" to the vehicle while driving.

Personally I believe hybrids are more hype than help.
    It's an interesting idea.
    I'd rather see "Active Fuel Management" myself. (GM doesn't call it DoD anymore because the average consumer didn't get it.)

GM has provided what people wanted for years, big powerful vehicles, then the price of gas goes up and people get mad because GM sold them what they wanted. Then GM gives them more fuel efficient vehicles and people bash them for trying to sell underpowered greenie wannabe cars. Seems like consumers are more retarded than manufacturers to me.
    I hear a lot of people making decisions based on half truths and speculation and wanting something because they say it works on the news rather than doing real world research and deciding what is best for them.

Just trying to offer an opinion, take it or leave it.

escaladefan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Wow, this one is a real thread that needs the attention of the mythbusters for sure. I see a lot of comments based on a total lack of understanding on how hybrid vehicles work.
    Having been trained on the Hybrid Silverado trucks that have been out for a few years already I can tell you a little about how those work and how Cadillack will probably do it.

First of all, it's not a battery run car, but it does have additional batteries. Three of them in fact, mounted under the rear seat and connected in series. They are 14 volts each and total up for a 42 volt system. I think they are expensive but only to the tune of about $300 each and as far as I know there is no scheduled swap out period, you'd replace them as they went bad, but it would probably be a good idea to replace them in sets. There are a few more control modules to do additional work for the hybrid system, no conventional starter or alternator and a special torque converter.
    The starter/generator goes between the flywheel and the torque converter and makes the vehicle start and helps it stop with "regenerative braking".
    It starts the gas engine and assists it to get going on it's own. Under certain conditions the gas engine shuts off and it uses electric motors to maintain power steering and heat, but if the A/C is on, the engine keeps running. It does this primarly at stops to elminate idle time.
    Thinking back I do believe there was some mention of the system operating under certain cruise conditions but it's not designed to "add power" to the vehicle while driving.

I'd rather see "Active Fuel Management" myself. (GM doesn't call it DoD anymore because the average consumer didn't get it.)

GM has provided what people wanted for years, big powerful vehicles, then the price of gas goes up and people get mad because GM sold them what they wanted. Then GM gives them more fuel efficient vehicles and people bash them for trying to sell underpowered greenie wannabe cars. Seems like consumers are more retarded than manufacturers to me.
    I hear a lot of people making decisions based on half truths and speculation and wanting something because they say it works on the news rather than doing real world research and deciding what is best for them.

Absolutely...

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post

Yeah, except for one thing--the Silverado/Sierra Hybrid models are BARELY even classifiable as true Hybrids, because pretty much all they can do is shut down the gas engine at a red light and have a conventional electrical outlet in the bed.

They were more of a basic experiment than anything for GM, and the only reason they came out with them was to be the first "Hybrid" truck. But the gas mileage is identical to a regular model, the on/off of the engine can be quite jerky and rough, they've had some issues since intro, and just are not that polished of an experiment.

That said, the current Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon (and possibly Escalade) that are undergoing final development testing are VERY different. These will be two-mode systems, and be able to accelerate FULLY on electric power from a stop (i.e., gas engine off) and then kick the gas engine in as needed, run on a combination of both, or just on the gas engine alone. This is the same way the well-known Toyota system works, and it should make a very noticeable change in fuel economy of these trucks, especially considering the stop and go driving where the gas engine never has to lug around and slurp gas--it can do it on full electric, or just lighten the load with a combination.

This is in addition to paying special attention to improved aerodynamics (deleted roof racks, different front fascia shaping, lower stance, different tires, etc.), to also help economy.

A Tahoe Hybrid is still going to be every bit a Tahoe, it just won't slurp gas as needlessly as one usually does on occasion (stop & go, etc.), but then will also have the same or better power when under the gun, because it can run on BOTH gas and electric. Just because it has a 2 mode powertrain isn't going to make it a sissy vehicle

So, suffice it to say, there's pretty much no comparison between the current worthless pickup Hybrids, and these big ute versions will be much better executed and be extremely attractive.

Here's a few good articles on them:
    2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Two-Mode Hybrid - 2006 Detroit Auto Show - Automobile Magazine
    Detroit Auto Show: GM debuts Chevy Tahoe Hybrid - Autoblog
    GM - GMability Advanced Technology: Chevrolet Tahoe with Two-Mode Full Hybrid Exploits Fuel Savings, SUV Driving Pleasure and Performance
    Hybrid Cars - Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid

Rubber Soul is offline Cadillac Owners Member

haha, you people think your balls are going to shrink if you buy a hybrid?

This thread has to be the most comical and ignorant thread in the history of the internet.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Soul View Post
    haha, you people think your balls are going to shrink if you buy a hybrid?

This thread has to be the most comical and ignorant thread in the history of the internet.
    Agreed

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

At least one person took the time to post links with actual information instead of just arguing about nothing based on conjecture and rumor.

Looking at some of the sites listed I see they are going to do it differently than the pickups, but it's pretty retarded to argue about something that's not even close to production.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.