2008 Escalade ESV: Passenger HID headlight known good but not lighting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2008 Escalade ESV: Passenger HID headlight known good but not lighting in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2008 Esc ESV. The passenger HID headlight is not operating. I swapped it with the driver side ...
    texasruss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Esc

2008 Escalade ESV: Passenger HID headlight known good but not lighting

I have a 2008 Esc ESV.

The passenger HID headlight is not operating. I swapped it with the driver side lamp and it works on the driver side. The driver side lamp does not work on the passenger side. All headlight fuses are good (swapped them as well). (I even bought another lamp and it fires in the Driver side but not the (Passenger side.)

Note: That headlight has condensation in it, so wondering if the ballast may be bad because of water leakage? Anyway to test a ballast?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

padumstorf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Re: 2008 Escalade ESV: Passenger HID headlight known good but not lighting

Buy a new ballast. The condensation inside the head light housing is enough to condemn the ballast over a fairly short period of time. The way the ballast is
    attached to the bottom of the housing allows moisture to settle on it and fry it. Once you renew the ballast, use a dielectric grease and coat all the electrical
    connections upon reinstallation. Bring the housing inside overnight, dry the inside. Seal the housing halve seams with 3M weatherstripping adhesive, Its yellow (or black) but you wont see it. Good luck, pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by padumstorf View Post
    Buy a new ballast. The condensation inside the head light housing is enough to condemn the ballast over a fairly short period of time. The way the ballast is
    attached to the bottom of the housing allows moisture to settle on it and fry it. Once you renew the ballast, use a dielectric grease and coat all the electrical
    connections upon reinstallation. Bring the housing inside overnight, dry the inside. Seal the housing halve seams with 3M weatherstripping adhesive, Its yellow (or black) but you wont see it. Good luck, pretty simple.
    Thank you for the help.

Two questions:

1) Define 'renew the ballast'. You mention bringing the ballast inside. is that the old one, ie can it be renewed, ie repaired?
    2) Do I need to get an OEM ballast? I see plenty of other ballasts available and they seem to be rated for bulb type (D1S) and color, ie 6000k. Are they all created equal (assuming the aforementioned parameters?)

Thanks.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I think he is saying renew as in replacing the ballast, some times replacing one of the ballast you may get slightly different bulb colors from side to side

padumstorf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Sorry about that Tex, got ahead of myself a bit. Renew it, as in buy a new ballast, do not replace it with a used unit. The ballast you have is no good except for identification. U can find a new one online thru a number of reputable outfits that sell them from $40.00 on up to retail. Match it by the manufacture and part number. If the manuf and part # match, you are buying OEM, same Caddy uses. Some sell the lamp along with the ballast, your lamp works, use it as it matches the other side better than a new one would. Bring the headlight housing inside your house or some place climate controlled where you can dry the inside 100%. Theres a breach in the housing seam that has allowed moisture in, apply the 3M wetherstripping adhesive directly over the seam, (do not use silicone) When you are ready to install the replacement ballast put dielectric grease on the pin terminals and around all of the other plastic covers on the housing. Wipe the lamp down good with household alcohol and do not touch the lamp itself. Reinstall the complete unit. Good luck.

Can anyone recommend a good source for a decently priced ballast? Padumstorf mentioned $40, but the lowest I can find is $140. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.