Help with car trade/purchase. Considering Caddy Escalade and others....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrHolland
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Help with car trade/purchase. Considering Caddy Escalade and others.... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; My husband and I currently own a 2008 FJ cruiser. While we love it, really we do, we just miss ...
    aimcat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help with car trade/purchase. Considering Caddy Escalade and others....

My husband and I currently own a 2008 FJ cruiser. While we love it, really we do, we just miss the creature comforts we have had with some other vehicles in the past. I have since before owned a Lexus GX, GMC Envoy, and now the FJ. All of these vehicles have been pretty worry free. So now we are considering trading and the vehicles we have been looking at are: Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, Audi Q7, new design Lexus GX, BMW X5....now all of these when trading would be used with 60k miles to 80k miles at purchase. We want something reliable, nice to drive, and something nice to look at.
    Can you guys give me any opinions? Also if there are any other vehicles that might work that I missed keeping in mind we would like something luxury.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalde, 2013 CTS-V coupe
    I would stay away from Audi and BMW. From experience, and also from reading other forums about these cars, are not high mileage vehicles. They need a lot of work and they are very expensive to repair. They are both prone to be in the shop constantly and will go through tires every 15-20k. Unless you have deep pockets and another car to drive I would stay away. Look for a '09+ Escalade either CPO or one with all the maintenance records. Either way you should have happy maintenance free driving for years to come. Good luck.

Re: Help with car trade/purchase. Considering Caddy Escalade and others....

What about an 07-08 Escalade or 07-10 Navigator?

Spkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalde, 2013 CTS-V coupe
    Search the forum on that year. Stay away from the '07-08. They are known to have transmission problems. The last thing you want to deal with is a couple thousand dollar repair on your new suv.

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

While I love Ford, they did an absolute horrendous job on the redesigned Navigator ('07+), and I would not consider one. Seriously, go and sit in an Escalade, and then the Navigator, and you will see why. It looks and feels ancient.

With that said, you can't beat the reliability of a GM SUV. The Escalade has been on the road for 8 years now, and it does not look dated, at all. If you can swing a properly maintained certified pre-owned Escalade, it will make you happy.

I would stay away with BMW, Audi, Mercedes, unless the vehicle is under warranty. They can be very costly to repair while the Escalade is not since it shares many parts with other GM vehicles and is relatively simple to work on. The only other brand that I would feel safe owning out of warranty is Lexus.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I wouldn't buy any Escalade before 2009, a little research and the reasons should become obvious. Good luck

What about an 08 gmc yukon Denali? Still has the flashier looks but I'm able to get it for less than a escalade. I just cannot seem to find any 09 and up escalades for my price range I need to spend. Are the 08 denalis ok or same problems as escalades?
    Also what about a dodge durango?

MJCT208 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

I dont know why you guys say stay away from 2008 escalades I understand the 2007's... But I've owned my 2008 escalade since August 2008 70 Months later and the truck has not given me one problem besides peeling chrome rims. Not one wind noise, leaking of sorts, door handles breaking, etc. If anything 2008 is the year to buy because as the years went on they began taking awayleather pieces, (3rd row no longer leather, Door panels lost some leather 10 -up, leather shifter gone 11-up, Cashmere interior color and carper changed to a darker less desirable color, 2nd row power release buttons no longer located above your head which was very convienent, cylinder deactivation 09-up which is annoying for not much of a benefit... all little things that GM started to realize they could cut out to save money.

Thanks for info ^. So transmission ok in 08? What about the Denali? Any thoughts on a Durango?

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

There are ppl with 2007 and have had good luck. Why 2009?? It was the best optioned truck. Why later than 2009??,,,because they became more refined year after year. If you can't afford to buy a luxury vehicle then you can't afford to maintain it. Trying to find a cheaply priced luxury car is very dangerous.

As for the Durango, this isn't a dodge forum !!!
    texas1 likes this.

texas1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If your trying to buy a used luxury suv with high miles cheap . I would say dont do it because your budget might not allow to repair it considering 80k miles is close to major repairs like shocks and suspension parts not long ago i did my front shocks 2k for both front shocks miles on my truck was 80k

bigksone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 ESV, 2004 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by MJCT208
    I dont know why you guys say stay away from 2008 escalades I understand the 2007's... But I've owned my 2008 escalade since August 2008 70 Months later and the truck has not given me one problem besides peeling chrome rims. Not one wind noise, leaking of sorts, door handles breaking, etc. If anything 2008 is the year to buy because as the years went on they began taking awayleather pieces, (3rd row no longer leather, Door panels lost some leather 10 -up, leather shifter gone 11-up, Cashmere interior color and carper changed to a darker less desirable color, 2nd row power release buttons no longer located above your head which was very convienent, cylinder deactivation 09-up which is annoying for not much of a benefit... all little things that GM started to realize they could cut out to save money.
    Couldn't agree more

JHC828 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum / Sierra Denali / Infiniti FX50S & M45

Stay away from dodge... I had one for a short time and it was always in the shop.

I currently have an 08 Sierra Denali AWD (same platform as the Yukon Denali and Escalade) and have had ZERO problems, currently at 80k miles. My first Escalade was a 2009 Premium swb AWD and I drove it for 2 years (50K miles) and the only thing I had to have done was a new battery, replaced under warranty. I now have a 2011 Platinum ESV and same story, needed a new battery but no other issues, fingers crossed as I'm out of warranty at 60k miles. I have no plans to replace either even tho they are both out of warranty. I've taken extremely good care of them and I plan on them lasting for a long time, as the new platinum isn't due to come out until next year and it will have to be on the road for at least a year before I will consider one, with all of the things going wrong right now and the issues they had with the 07. I'm hoping my '11 will last another 2 years and the '08 another year.

Good luck with your decision!

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Check out the Jeep Grand Cherokee. We currently have a 2015 Escalade Premium and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Jeep wasn't even on our radar when we were looking for vehicles. Rather than step into a used "luxury" vehicle check out a new 2014 Jeep. If the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit was a little bigger I would never even of bought the Escalade. So if you can step down a little in size, the new Jeep GC is an amazing vehicle. Mine has a v8 Hemi (definitely recommend stepping up the hemi!!) , 8 speed transmission, raises and lowers I believe 4" with the press of a button. Adaptive cruise control. Great Infotainment system. Heated/Cooled seats & wheel. Very nice interior too (classy wood wheel and trim). It has all the luxury features my 85K Escalade does, just lacking a little in size. It's like an affordable North American Range Rover. You'd be making a mistake not looking at them at least... just my 2 cents.

FYI a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (which is the most expensive model Jeep makes with the exception of their street racing SRT model) comes in around 55k new.

Here is how we have ours configured: http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201...rintSummary.do
    *Kinda, it won't let me print a config that has the v8 option. We added the hemi, brought it up to 54 and some change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.