Map Read Error Fix with pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Map Read Error Fix with pics in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys my 2009 had the errors while trying to read ANY navigation disc, I didnt want to dump money ...
    2muchspl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac Escalade

Map Read Error Fix with pics

Hey guys my 2009 had the errors while trying to read ANY navigation disc, I didnt want to dump money into sending it off because most aftermarkets and phones are better. After compressed air didnt work, I dismantled my Navigation to inspect things and noticed the nav dvd eye was covered a light film & very cloudy as if something inside had off gased,like a silicon. Here is a write up on what I did.

DISCLAIMER: If you are not familiar with how to remove ribbon cables from simple PC boards find a neighbor who can do those steps for you.

Tools Needed: T6,T7,T10 torx bit, 7mm socket,plastic trim removal tool for radio removal, delicate hand.

1st, verify that your DVD Nav laser is actually functioning..this can be done at night by putting a nav dvd in and lightly pushing on dust shield on front slot. you should see a red glow from inside the nav itself as the laser tries to find the disc. I CAREFULLY used another disc to slighty hold the dust shield up and got my face right next to slot. If error happens, you must eject disc and reinsert it so laser can try to read nav disc. You have about 15 seconds from the moment the nav tries before it gives up and errors so quickness counts.

If you saw the red glow, youre in business! If not...your laser or nav itself is broke :/

Remove disc from Nav that you put in (required), disc in changer can be left in or removed.

Remove Navigation by following this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diCScDqZhmw

sit nav on a table with a good towel to prevent scratches and remove L & R brackets (3 T-10 screws on each side)

Flip nav over & remove this screw as well as screw on opposite side, think it was 4.5mm or 5mm

remove base plate from rear side like pic, there are little dimples (red arrow) on side that I used a flat head screw driver with to help plate come up

Now you should be able see the 6 disc and ribbon cable, we will remove both cables.
    the large on is held in by a push lock and the smaller one is a simple slide in style

undo lock by gently pushing them out

Now remove the 4 (4.5 or 5mm) screw holding changer down and gently remove it from nav

next remove the 4 T-7 screws that hold Nav drive down

lift it up about 4 inches to GENTLY remove the ribbon and white wire connector. Note that the white connector is marked with sharpie from factory to prevent being reinstered wrong. If yours is missing this put a simple dot on connector so u can know which side faced up

Nav should easily come out of unit, sit it down and remove the 2 ribbon cables. the larger on is a lock style again and the smaller is a slide in style

remove the 4 T-7 screws and flip board up and over

chakde likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Map Read Error Fix with pics

Still with me? good! now these steps are simple but very hard to explain in words. we need to get laser eye from carriage, There are 4 T-6 screws that need to be loosen/removed.
    loosen the BLUE arrowed screws while removing the RED.

example of loosened blue arrowed screw

slide laser down and off guide rail by doing this motion.Im using my middle finger to supply the upward motion. Your focus should be on the left rail area next to traversing screw. we are not removing the rail but gently pulling it up so the eye assembly can slide off the end.

see how cloudy eye is (white streak is sunlight creeping thru kitchen blinds,sorry)

just a touch of alcohol and gently wipe eye clean

cleaned eye

lets put it back together, I used a little screwdriver to help get the left rail up to hold on. then slide dvd eye back on

next we are going to slide the right C side of the eye onto right rail

tighten the 4 t-6 screws then scroll up to the are you still with me pic and reverse your steps

using an acquired 10.3 disc

never seen these screens until today

chakde and ElKompaAndres like this.

JLeosnow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade ESV

Thank you very much for the detailed write up and pictures! My 08 always displays MAP DVD READ ERROR when I have tried multiple navi discs.... Do you think this may be the problem? Could you elaborate a bit more on the mentioned compressed air proceedure?

Thanks!
    -John

A member suggested they blew a can of compressed air that you can get from Walmart or computer store to maybe free up dust that might of settled on laser. Great idea but it didnt work for me. As you can see there was a film over the lens and needed to be physically wiped off

Thanks again 2muchspi! One other question if you don't mind.... Do you remember what your display was showing as far as the error? In other words, what sis the screen say after you inserted a disc?

Thanks,
    -John
    2muchspl likes this.

I believe it said Map DVD read error or Map Read Error, it would say it constantly. Ejecting disc would make it try to read again but it would ultimately error again after 15 seconds or so and never getting to the Caution OK screen.

Thanks. Thats what mine is displaying as well...

-John

roadog1aj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

Awesome tutorial!!
    Thanks for sharing!! Maybe this qualifies to be added to the: "FAQs and TECH INFO" sticky????

John you should definitely give this a shot, it looks more involved than it really is. Once I got it working I actually removed it THEN disassemble it again with detail pics for you guys. If it was too hard I absolutely wouldnt of done it 2x. I estimate most can do the break down in about 20-25 minutes. I didnt have the super small torx that was needed but my local Ace had a bargain bin that had a set in it for $3.99.

Roadog1aj That would be awesome, I know dismantling aint for the faint of heart but if peoples nav aint working and theyre not upgrading to a HDD nav. This could be great for them.

ElKompaAndres is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade
    I'm going to try this today, I really don't want to pay that much for a replacement nav when I can pay the same for a aftermarket with a lot more features for the same price. thanks for the write up and I'll check back!
    2muchspl likes this.

I couldn't agree more, its a member here that has already done the alpine 8" double din in the factory location that rivals the cost of the super nav.

Kudos on trying it! I felt I had nothin to lose by tryin since it didnt work in the 1st place. Take your time on dissambly and reassembly, double check all the ribbon cables when putting it back together.
    ElKompaAndres likes this.

I freaken love you bro lol, this is awesome. Worked like a charm, and im a few cents richer. I guess the previous owner (kids, im guessing) put a few coins in the navigation slot/drive. Anyways here are my pics to prove this worked awesome. Thanks again, couldn't be happier and im so glad I actually tried this before trying other alternatives!!

before cleaning

.89 cents inside nav drive!

my nav drive is a little different

after cleaning, updating nav

updated, working (gps not locked due to being inside of garage, drove and gps locked on pretty quick)
    2muchspl likes this.

Pumps fist! Glad it work but man I just laughed out loud at the 89 cents bonus you got. Did you notice the fog on the eye before wiping it. How much time did you need to break it down and reassemble? Maybe someone else who is leaning on the fence will give it a shot too
    ElKompaAndres likes this.

You could see it more in person, my phone's camera kinda sucks. It was like a white glaze that came right off with alcohol, you could tell the difference on the lens after the cleaning. The whole thing took less than an hour, from taking apart the panels to putting back on the suv. This time also includes me taking a break to put my 1 yr old daughter to nap during the process. Really really easy and simple! Oh and my drive is probably different due to my Escalade being a 07'.

Thats great news, 1 hr of work to save $1000...I'll take that any day. Hopefully this thread gets a sticky, Im glad you took pics of the different drive!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.