Help! Issue w/ 2007 Escalade: Front-Drivers Side Wheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Help! Issue w/ 2007 Escalade: Front-Drivers Side Wheel in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Has anyone experienced an issue with popping/gnashing from the front end? I just bought a 2007 Escalade AWD w/80k back ...
    BoostedToy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade Platinum

Help! Issue w/ 2007 Escalade: Front-Drivers Side Drivetrain

Has anyone experienced an issue with popping/gnashing from the front end? I just bought a 2007 Escalade AWD w/80k back in October. It's the second Cadillac I have owned (I had a 2009 CTS-V but needed something larger).I have loved each of my Cadillac's to date but I am a bit disturbed with the Escalade so far. I had to replace the tensioner and idler pulley just a month after purchase. The navigation and CD player went out just two months into ownership. Then I had my gauges go out (it ended up being a fuse, but why this happened in the first place is odd? I have never had this happen in any other vehicle.) I am now having the fourth issue in a short period of time. My wife is now very unhappy that I purchased the vehicle (she wanted to go with an import). I love the vehicle when it has been functioning but now I have by far the most concerning issue. I am not sure what is going on but I was pulling out of a parking lot earlier and I heard very loud (bystanders/pedestrians all rubber-necked around to me each time it happened). The pops occurred at 1-10 mph or so. It sounded as if a half-shaft was about to snap in half. Any help, suggestions or insights would be extremely helpful. I have nearly exhausted my bank account fixing this thing and I have only owned it just over three months...

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

J

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help! Issue w/ 2007 Escalade: Front-Drivers Side Wheel

Of note, as I drove at higher speeds, this near-violent popping went away. When it happened earlier this evening in a parking lot (even when driving the vehicle straight, wheels uncut), it seemed the wheel/s would rotate approximately 2-3 times and then the loud pop would occur. It sounded horrible. Did I get a lemon (I test drove and performed what I think would be a reasonable inspection prior to purchase). I've really enjoyed the vehicle, even with the expensive nav/cd and a couple of other issues. This one, at least on the surface, seems much worse and really concerns me. Any thoughts, insights or assistance is MUCH appreciated...

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

I'm sorry BT I just don't know enough to advise you ... but if it is so loud as to have everyone around you noticing my advice is please take it to have it looked at. I realize money is tight but the more you drive it like this the more expensive the fix could get, not to mention it could be dangerous.

As far as whether or not you got a lemon, It's hard to tell from here. Truth is, and I don't mean this in a mean way, you chose to purchase a high mileage luxury vehicle from its first model year without any significant warranty protection. It sounds from what you state that it wasn't treated with the most care by its previous owner/owners. A lot of times in these cases the worst is detected shortly after purchase and after the initial group of fixes the vehicle goes on to have an uneventful life, and sometimes it's one thing after the other forever which would define it as a lemon. Your situation isn't that unusual from the perspective that sometimes people stretch their budget buying the least expensive version of an expensive vehicle by choosing its earliest model year and one with high mileage. The problem is that it's impossible to know its full history and the vehicle is still as expensive to fix out of warranty as it would be brand new. This isn't an import/domestic issue, it's an older vehicle issue ... meaning that if you had bought an 07/80K mile RR, Mercedes, QX, etc it would still be vulnerable to similar issues and expense if it had not been treated right.

I hope someone here is able to help you diagnose the problem, but since it sounds like it will have to be dealt with either way, I still say go see a qualified mechanic sooner rather than later. Hopefully it sounds worse than it is and it will be the last issue for a while. Good luck!

No offense taken. I've had new, low mileage CPO, high mileage, etc. I have not had the issues surfaced in this short of a timeframe with any other vehicle I have had. We had a 2003 4Runner Limited until recently that had 240k. We replaced tires (three sets), brakes, one set of rotors, serpentine belt, timing belt and water pump. I also forgot to mention my passenger side door handle broke about a month ago. With all the other things going on, it seemed rather innocuous.

I really am not sure this is an age issue. My CTS-V was near the same age and other than tires, had zero issues. It was my daily driver as well. Soulsea, I appreciate your input, and that is a mighty fine looking ride you have. GORGEOUS.

Spkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalde, 2013 CTS-V coupe
    I agree with SoulSea. Take it in before it gets worse. 07's, as you can read throughout the forum, are plagued with similar problems you are experiencing. I hope it is not your transmission going out but I would advice you to take it in and at least get it diagnosed to see what is causing the noise. (I feel your pain because I had a very similar situation but with a Mercedes which was always in the shop. It was sickening).

These trucks are made to go for a long time. Once you get past these problems the truck should last as long as your Toyota.

Thanks Spkey. The car also has "piston slap" but it goes away once the vehicle reaches operating temperature. I've turned an eye to most of the issues to this point and just took care of them or let them ride (not much I can do about the piston slap. I have had vehicles with forged pistons in the past which did nearly the same thing, though, they were in racing applications).

This latest one with this pop sounds as if it could be a CV joint that is broken or something. It sounds awful when it surfaced. It seems to be at least somewhat linked to speed (occuring more when the vehicle is at lower speeds, less so as speed increases and then non-existent at 35+mph). The transmission appears completely fine and shifts very nicely. The issue I am having sounds like a half-shaft knucke or something in the hub setup gone awry. I have loved certain things about this vehicle. I am distraught.

Spkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalde, 2013 CTS-V coupe
    If it's the cv joint it will make a popping sound when you turn the wheel. Take it to a local mechanic. I would hate for you to damage the truck and have a big bill.

sgrant is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ESV

The front auto ride struts get quite noisy when they fail, doesn't seem to affect the ride, so no obvious symptoms other than the noise. A random noise as well.

Thanks for all the insights everyone. I really think it is something in the CV joint on the driver side. I am not certain about this but it sounds like a binding of a mechanical interface with metal on metal. Any estimates on what it costs to replace this if in fact this is what it is?

Has anybody had an issue with either the CV joint failing or a driveshaft binding on a U-joint? I believe these are the two most likely issues. I highly doubt it's a wheel bearing on the drivers side front wheel. In my experience a wheel bearing issue caused a vibration at times but usually would make a steady low level "roaring" noise of sorts. This issue is a LOUD pop/bang that sounds like a metal on metal binding resulting in a loud pop. When it first happened, I was driving approximately 2-3 MPH away from a parking spot and any bystander or pedestrian within 100ft turned around and stared in the direction of the Escalade.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Have you taken your car to get looked at???

The local dealership will be checking it out this coming Monday. Apparently they got backed up with the decent deep-freeze earlier this week. I believe it is the drivers side CV joint.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedToy View Post
    The local dealership will be checking it out this coming Monday. Apparently they got backed up with the decent deep-freeze earlier this week. I believe it is the drivers side CV joint.
    Hello BoostedToy,

I apologize for the vehicle concern you are experiencing. If you would like my assistance while working with your dealer or would like to further discuss your situation, please send me a private message. Include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

spartoron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV

BoostedToy what did you find out regarding this noise?

ToddEdge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade AWD

If it turns out to be a cv axle, they are very easy to replace. I've done a bunch on Chevy's and the only "special" tool is a large socket to get the main hub bolt off. The axle is only held to the axle housing by 5-6 bolts, which are easy to get to. Sounds to me like a diff or cv issue. Normally when a CV joint goes, the boot slings grease everywhere or the metal on either side is discolored due to getting too hot. One other way to check is to use a jack to lift the front driver wheel and to spin it to see if you can diagnose where the noise is coming from.

Good luck.

Todd

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.