Partial Audio gut/build thread
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rgb129
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Partial Audio gut/build thread in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I *hate* Bose crap and I am upgrading as much as possible. For those of you that like the Bose, ...
    rgb129 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade

Partial Audio gut/build thread

I *hate* Bose crap and I am upgrading as much as possible. For those of you that like the Bose, I envy you. I am picky on audio and bose doesn't come close. I found that in order to keep the stock HU audio controls, steering wheel controls, etc, I must also keep the friggin bose amp. I was hoping to just use the low level inputs from the head unit and bypass the amp. Unfortunately, the volume, fader, etc are sent to the amp via a BUS line and processed in the amp itself. UG.

Eventually, I will probalby do a custom tablet in the dash install and kick the bose amp to the curb, but for now this is the plan using the high level outputs from the bose:

I will use a RF 3sixty.3 DSP with a 3-way front stage, 10 inch sub, and some coax speakers in the rear doors.

Front tweeters: Vifa OX20SC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter (~6000hz+)
    Front mids: Vifa TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range (~300Hz-6000Hz)
    Front midbass: Exodus Anarchy 6-1/2" (~60Hz-300Hz) custom sealed fiberglass door enclosures

Rear doors: TBD coax 6-1/2"

Sub: Alpine SWR-10D2 n custom center console between rear captains chairs

Tweeters, mids, and rear door coaxs will be driven by a HiFonics series VII Aphrodite. The midbass Anarchy's will be driven by a HiFonics series VIII Zeus.

The tweeters and mids will go into the sails. They are there now...pics coming soon on those.

The crossover freqs are arbitrary at this point. I will certainly fiddle with those once everything is up and running.

----------

I took the rear apart and matted the floor and ran the power, ground, signal, remote, and speaker wires for the sub amp. I will be sticking it in the void over the drivers rear wheel well where the tools are.

The speaker wires behind the two front seats are for the mids and tweeters...the aphrodite will be built into the sub box.

----------

The Zeus will be mounted where the stock sub is located up front.

I have cut the drivers door inner skin. I will line it with rigid foam and plastic to form a shell. I will then use expanding foam to fill the void and then carve out my enclosure for fiberglassing. This will allow me to use quite a bit of space that is in the door. I will hopefully be foaming the doors this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Partial Audio gut/build thread

Subscribing!!!

36dbldz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade

Same here

Here are some pics of the mid and tweeter in the sails. I will have build a small mdf frame covered in black cloth to hide them.

mlgreen likes this.

It has been a long time since I updated this thread. I wish I had more and better pics, but I was too focused on the project at hand.

I have the door speakers installed and they are in a sealed fiberglass enclosure in the door. Typically a form is made to slide in to the opening. I wanted the larger space so I built them in-door. This was messy and a pain in the a$$, but came out great. It was tricky to work around the window track. What I did was use various peices of foam and tape to seal off and act as the mold for the enclosure. I have done fiberglass work before and you do need that experience. I do not recommend this method for beginners. The fiberglass was trimmed to be flush with the opening once cured. I then also added silicone to seal both the edges and the baffle. I also threw some around the speaker cable coming in even though that is pretty well sealed.

The baffles were originally intended to come out farther, but the space wasn't needed and the complexity of clearing all the posts and shapes of the door panel made it not worth the effort. The speakers are shifted forward slightly from the stock in order to clear the bend in for the window track.

A combination of a sawzall and jigsaw was used to cut out the openings.

Ok, ok, here is the eye candy!

Here is the baffle test fitting

Here are some pics of the fiberglassing

Here is the final install:

lknox21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by rgb129 View Post
    Here are some pics of the mid and tweeter in the sails. I will have build a small mdf frame covered in black cloth to hide them.

How do these components sound? Im worried that it would rattle like crazy...

If you mean the midrange (this is not a component set), they are only playing around 400-5000Hz...there is not a lot of movement there to cause rattles. All the low end stuff is the midbass in the doors and sub...that is where rattles would come from.

With sealed door enclosures, you eliminate most sources of door rattles. I have zero rattles door panel rattle.

I am still tuning and tweaking, but the sound is amazing.

36dbldz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade
    Any updated pics

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.