Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By hcvone
  • 1 Post By Z71
  • 1 Post By hcvone
  • 1 Post By Z71
  • 1 Post By Andrew224
  • 1 Post By Z71
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase in Cadillac Escalade Forums; What oil is best for the Differential & Transfer case? I want to do some maintenance on it. Can anyone ...
  1. #1
    new york city's Avatar
    new york city is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    195

    Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    What oil is best for the Differential & Transfer case?

    I want to do some maintenance on it.

    Can anyone with prior experience tell me on how to go by this?

    (most important, what specific oils is best for a 2007 ESV when applying it to the transfercase & differential)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    H.V., Pa/Town of Webb, NY
    Posts
    12,943

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    Use at least Mobil 1, you can use Amsoil, Royal Purple or Red Line if you want something better than Mobil 1, the transfer case is easy, there are fill and drain plugs, drain and refill, takes about 1 1/2 quarts of Dexron VI, I use an oil suction device for the rear diffs and front diffs without drain plugs, this way you do not have to take the rear cover off, and makes the job very neat and no mess. There are many oil suction units this is the one we use. You want to use 75-90 gear oil and of course synthetic, you do not need the GM additive for our trucks in the diffs. Here are the units we have there are several companies using the same design

    http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...do?from=Search

    Here is a good write up from a forum member
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...id-change.html
    new york city likes this.

  4. #3
    Z71's Avatar
    Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan 'da UP'-Lake Superior
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    Note - The proper way to service the rear differential is to Remove the rear cover, clean out the cavity and magnet. Changing by any other method does not address the sentiment that is in the bottom of the differential cavity as well as cleaning the magnet of any metal debris. It is not an accepted practice to suck out the fluid. The front differential and transfer case have drain and fill plugs. IMPORTANT--Remove the fill plug before trying to remove the drain plug. If you drain the fluid first and then cannot get the fill plug out, you got problems. Also, USE THE CORRECT TOOLS that fit the plugs, DO NOT use pliers, vise grips etc. The front differential and transfer case are made of aluminum.


    Both front and rear differntials use a Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lube, 5 qts total for both
    The transfer case uses a Dexron VI ATF, 2 qts needed

    Lookup capacities for any vehicle HERE

    Here is a handy tool to install the gear lube and other fluids in tight places. I have used one of these, very good quality.
    ...Bottle Hand Pump
    new york city likes this.

  5. #4
    new york city's Avatar
    new york city is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    195
    Thread Starter

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    Thank You guys for the help!
    1 more question: If I were to add 80-90 gear oil, would it make a difference in anyway?

  6. #5
    hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    H.V., Pa/Town of Webb, NY
    Posts
    12,943

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    That would be fine

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    Note - The proper way to service the rear differential is to Remove the rear cover, clean out the cavity and magnet. Changing by any other method does not address the sentiment that is in the bottom of the differential cavity as well as cleaning the magnet of any metal debris. It is not an accepted practice to suck out the fluid. The front differential and transfer case have drain and fill plugs. IMPORTANT--Remove the fill plug before trying to remove the drain plug. If you drain the fluid first and then cannot get the fill plug out, you got problems. Also, USE THE CORRECT TOOLS that fit the plugs, DO NOT use pliers, vise grips etc. The front differential and transfer case are made of aluminum.


    Both front and rear differntials use a Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lube, 5 qts total for both
    The transfer case uses a Dexron VI ATF, 2 qts needed

    Lookup capacities for any vehicle HERE

    Here is a handy tool to install the gear lube and other fluids in tight places. I have used one of these, very good quality.
    ...Bottle Hand Pump
    I agree that taking the rear cover off is the best way, period, but most owners do not want to do this on their own, or if they do it they end up with a leaking rear diff, I know because our shop see this all the time to repair the problem, and the little Amsoil pumps are the best
    new york city likes this.

  7. #6
    Z71's Avatar
    Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan 'da UP'-Lake Superior
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    Quote Originally Posted by new york city View Post
    Thank You guys for the help!
    1 more question: If I were to add 80-90 gear oil, would it make a difference in anyway?
    75W-90 is the best option. It offers better fuel economy and lower operating temperature under severe usage conditions.

    The W in 75W-90 stands for Winter and indicates the lube meets or exceeds certain criteria for good low-temperature performance. A lubes cold-temperature performance refers to its ability to flow when the component is cold, or below typical operating temperature (212 F / 100 C), and not simply to what feels cold to humans - warm summer days are also cold to an axle. Startup lubrication is directly affected by a lubricants cold-flowability, and the impact is felt at higher temperatures than most consumers would think.

    80W-90 is becoming obsolete in automotive use. You can always go lower with the winter specification (W) as long as the upper limits is the same.
    new york city likes this.

  8. #7
    new york city's Avatar
    new york city is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    195
    Thread Starter

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    75W-90 is the best option. It offers better fuel economy and lower operating temperature under severe usage conditions.

    The W in 75W-90 stands for Winter and indicates the lube meets or exceeds certain criteria for good low-temperature performance. A lubes cold-temperature performance refers to its ability to flow when the component is cold, or below typical operating temperature (212 F / 100 C), and not simply to what feels cold to humans - warm summer days are also cold to an axle. Startup lubrication is directly affected by a lubricants cold-flowability, and the impact is felt at higher temperatures than most consumers would think.

    80W-90 is becoming obsolete in automotive use. You can always go lower with the winter specification (W) as long as the upper limits is the same.
    The thing is I added 80w90.. should I remove it instantly & replace it with 75w90?

  9. #8
    Andrew224's Avatar
    Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Age
    35
    Posts
    131

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    I don't think that the spread is enough to worry about. When it comes time to change it out again, go back to 75W-90.
    new york city likes this.

  10. #9
    Z71's Avatar
    Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan 'da UP'-Lake Superior
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    No, no need to replace it. As long as it was synthetic it will work, its just not the right spec to use. Its somewhat like using a 10W-30 oil when its supposed to be 5W-30. If you are not anal about fuel economy, leave it be.

    When the OEM's go to a lower viscosity the savings in fuel are realized over millions of vehicles and can amount to a substancial reduction affecting their CAFE ratings. One vehicle, not so much.
    new york city likes this.

  11. #10
    new york city's Avatar
    new york city is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    195
    Thread Starter

    Re: Oil Question - Differential - TransferCase

    Alright, got it fellas. Thank You for all your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting