Fixing piston slap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Fixing piston slap in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So, other than replacing the short block, what is the fix? I'd assume new pistons and rings. Just trying to ...
    C4DC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Fixing piston slap

So, other than replacing the short block, what is the fix? I'd assume new pistons and rings. Just trying to brainstorm what i'm in for in the future as the 07 I recently got has it when cold. Don't know how long it will go before it gets worse. Wonder how much this would run too, guess it would vary depending on the shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Banshee8732 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade
    I'm curious also. Mine (08 37k miles) ticks when it's cold. I don't know what to do. After I took mine in to have the slip from 2nd gear to 3rd fixed I've been scared to have anything major done to it. Reason being is they screwed my transmission up way worse than it was before. I'd like to know if it's something that I can let be or if it really needs to be fixed.

SpyShops NY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade

Re: Fixing piston slap

don't worry about it if it ticks when cold, I have a 08 with a small tick when cold. I did a throttle body cleaning it helped. I am also scared to let someone touch my engine, I have 112k miles and its has been the same since I started noticing it around 50k miles I don't remember if it was like this since new. But the sound is the same not worse, if it does get worse when starting up I will look more into it

ELUSIVE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE

I had all new lifters replaced on mine to fix this.

SpyShops NY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade

What did that cost you.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Replacing the lifters will not fix piston slap, only valve train noise related to lifters.
    new york city likes this.

Suicidalbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV
    My 07 sounds like a diesel when its cold (ok, ok, maybe not that badly). Hoping someone can offer a fix besides major overhaul.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

There are some TSBs about it, but so far as I know no fix for it. It's an issue as old and as common as the GMT900s (and even older than that on the 6.0 engines), and other than sounding bad my understanding is that it causes no harm ... which is hard to believe given the nature of the noise. My current esky doesn't have it, but my two previous 6.2s did. One time I left my denali at the airport parking lot for ten days over the winter, I thought the pistons were going to go through the hood when i started her up, but they didn't and it went away after ten minutes.

Jay793 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 ext

Ditto^^ I have a noise on cold starts like a valve noise of some sort, goes away when reaches normal temp. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldent replicate the noise. What to do now? It only has 52k on it

Banshee8732 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade
    Buy a lottery ticket if you can get a dealer to reproduce something you tell them about! The loud whine when I turn after I've been driving for 30 minutes or so is a prime example. They can't hear anything. They don't listen to me when I explain what has to happen in order for them to hear the whine. They start it up, take it around the block, and call it good. Back on track: I'm glad I'm not alone with this ticking noise. Hopefully it's not anything major.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

The term for it as it shows up in warranty service records is CCND: Customer Concern Not Duplicated

It's often a service manager's favorite excuse.

quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

I tried, and tried, and tried to get my dealer and other dealers to warranty it before my warranty expired. Not a chance. GM's official stance is that it is 'normal'. Every other manufacturer admits its a problem and will fix it under warranty but not GM. My guess is they'd be ruined as it affects hundreds of thousands of vehicles. In any event, it will not make your engine explode and in all likelihood it will only slightly shorten it's life. You should still get very long life out of the motor as long as you do your regular oil changes. Kinda embarrassing and ridiculous for a high buck Escalade to be sounding like that on start up but I'm used to it now.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrotman
    I tried, and tried, and tried to get my dealer and other dealers to warranty it before my warranty expired. Not a chance. GM's official stance is that it is 'normal'. Every other manufacturer admits its a problem and will fix it under warranty but not GM. My guess is they'd be ruined as it affects hundreds of thousands of vehicles. In any event, it will not make your engine explode and in all likelihood it will only slightly shorten it's life. You should still get very long life out of the motor as long as you do your regular oil changes. Kinda embarrassing and ridiculous for a high buck Escalade to be sounding like that on start up but I'm used to it now.
    all you can do is keep documentation from the complaints at the dealer and if for some reason it blows within reason, you should have a case. Sucks that it has to go that way

ELUSIVE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE

This was a video that I took before bringing my truck in. They relaced the lifters and that fixed it. The sound hasn't returned. It was all done under warranty. Took almost a week though.

http://youtu.be/TCBqytnwUx0

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
    This was a video that I took before bringing my truck in. They relaced the lifters and that fixed it. The sound hasn't returned. It was all done under warranty. Took almost a week though. http://youtu.be/TCBqytnwUx0
    woah that sounds jus like lifters
    07_Escalade likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.