how often to change rear brakes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, how often to change rear brakes? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've had my truck since February and had the front pads changed a few months ago...what's the general rule of ...
    wangstarr03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

how often to change rear brakes?

I've had my truck since February and had the front pads changed a few months ago...what's the general rule of thumb for when we should change the rear brakes? I'd like to do all 4 (my fronts might need to be changed, again soon) before hardcore winter hits.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by wangstarr03
    I've had my truck since February and had the front pads changed a few months ago...what's the general rule of thumb for when we should change the rear brakes? I'd like to do all 4 (my fronts might need to be changed, again soon) before hardcore winter hits. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, in advance!
    imo the general rule of thumb is change them when they get low, the rear will wear faster than the front because its a smaller pad, i believe i went thru at least 2 rears to one fronts... There are too many variables involved... How fast you drive, how hard you stop are there many hills how much weigh you carry, are you towing.. There really is no schedule in place for this

AZKlaus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

Re: how often to change rear brakes?

It's less a time thing so much as wear- check your pad thickness. I usually like to replace when it's within about 10-20% of new. Your rears will wear slower than your fronts due to brake bias. Are you getting any vibration in the car when you hit the brakes?

wangstarr03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by AZKlaus View Post
    It's less a time thing so much as wear- check your pad thickness. I usually like to replace when it's within about 10-20% of new. Your rears will wear slower than your fronts due to brake bias. Are you getting any vibration in the car when you hit the brakes?
    no vibration whatsoever...my general experience is that the front brakes will wear quicker than the rears, also. I haven't seen/heard/felt any indication that my rear brakes are in need of replacement, I was simply curious as part of my winter preps/checks.

K9Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder View Post
    imo the general rule of thumb is change them when they get low, the rear will wear faster than the front because its a smaller pad, i believe i went thru at least 2 rears to one fronts... There are too many variables involved... How fast you drive, how hard you stop are there many hills how much weigh you carry, are you towing.. There really is no schedule in place for this
    Negative, the FRONTs will wear faster than the rear brakes. About 70-80% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. The reason the rear brakes are smaller than the fronts, is because they are not used as much. You can go a long time before you change out the backs.

^yep... I usually have a 3-1 pad change ratio on fronts-backs.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by K9Caddy
    Negative, the FRONTs will wear faster than the rear brakes. About 70-80% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. The reason the rear brakes are smaller than the fronts, is because they are not used as much. You can go a long time before you change out the backs.
    well thats where the driver and conditions come into play cuz mine is opposite... I anticipate stops and slow to a crawl as to not spill my Hennessy out of curiosity how many miles are you guys getting on front pads

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

well thats where the driver and conditions come into play cuz mine is opposite... I anticipate stops and slow to a crawl as to not spill my Hennessy out of curiosity how many miles are you guys getting on front pads
    I have to agree with the others... Whether you slow quickl and hard or come to a slow crawl the front brakes still do more work than the front. Sounds like your proportioning valve might be faulty.

....I anticipate stops and slow to a crawl as to not spill my Hennessy ....
    haha!! can't argue with that

Misael is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

I'm about due to replace my fronts, starting to get a squeal and odd metal sound. What brand do you guys prefer when replacing the pads? OEM or aftermarket?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    We're you happy with the performance of the stock pads? If so, replace with stock. If you're looking for something more, some performance pads would be a better choice for you.

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium
    One item lots of people overlook is the emergency brake pads. The proper test is to set e brake and add revs to 1200. The truck should not move at all, if so faulty per Cadillac Service. I had 45,000 on the rear, and the e brake would not hold. When the took apart the rears, the pads and the rotors were rust buckets. The metal around the fins and on the edge of the rotors literally started breaking off in chunks. The brake pads and the rotor surface were still fine. There was so Mapuche corrosion I had them do the e pads and new rotors. I do use the e brake on hills. Funny thing, 1 month after the replacement, the hub immediately had surface rust, lots of other vehicles show no sign of ripest on the hubs. I know it has no impact on the brakes and is purely cosmetic, but on a 100k truck is a shame.

----------

Metal sound.... Don't wait another day, I'm pretty sure there are no ware indicators on the rear. Your cutting into your rotors more than likely. Rotors are so cheep these days, depending on the mileage you may want to do pads and rotors. I'm happy with stock other than that nice rust color, they work fine. Don't forget to test your e brake.

cadikarl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

EBC and Hawk are good alternatives to stock pads, and they have more stopping power.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.