HVAC stops blowing Air after a while :( Help!, snowflake button helps??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, HVAC stops blowing Air after a while :( Help!, snowflake button helps?? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Any help would greatly be appreciated. I have searched and searched and cant find anything anywhere on the GMT900 platforms ...
    JCat27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV

HVAC stops blowing Air after a while :( Help!, snowflake button helps??

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I have searched and searched and cant find anything anywhere on the GMT900 platforms if anyone else having a similar issue.

I am having an issue with our HVAC system it only happens when the A/C is on (snowflake button)

Issue:
    A/C blows cold and speed can be controlled/adjusted w/ no issues for ab an hour of driving. Then all of a sudden the air slowly stops blowing out slower and slower until you have the fan on high and nothing is coming out. It almost sounds like its being blocked. I can hear the fan running, no air is coming out of the vents no matter which setting i switch it to.
    The only thing that fixes/helps is:
    When this happens once you hit the snowflake button to turn just the A/C off (not the entire unit) air will start blowing out at the selected fan speed w/in 15-30 seconds, and everything now works as it should on any desired fan speed. When you go to hit the snowflake button again and turn the A/C back on it operates like normal for about 15-20 minutes and then slowly starts to slow down to no air coming out again. I then hit the snowflake button again, air blows out at the correct speed again after 15-30 seconds and the cycle repeats itself after having A/C again for 15-20 min.

Parts/Items Already Replace:

Control Module for HVAC (Dash Unit)
    Blower Motor
    Blend door actuator
    Recirculating door actuator

Not sure what else it could be? Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

roadog1aj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

Re: HVAC stops blowing Air after a while :( Help!, snowflake button helps??

It sounds like your a/c is freezing over, and that would block any air from being moved by the blower unit. Freezing up is usually a symptom of low refrigerant in the a/c system. When you turn off the a/c (Snow Flake) button, it then allows the warm air to quickly melt the ice, thus allowing air to be moved by the blower again. As soon as you turn the a/c back on, the system would again freeze over, blocking air flow as it freezes closed. You may be able to fix the problem by taking it to a service center and having them recharge the a/c system to proper capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by roadog1aj View Post
    It sounds like your a/c is freezing over, and that would block any air from being moved by the blower unit. Freezing up is usually a symptom of low refrigerant in the a/c system. When you turn off the a/c (Snow Flake) button, it then allows the warm air to quickly melt the ice, thus allowing air to be moved by the blower again. As soon as you turn the a/c back on, the system would again freeze over, blocking air flow as it freezes closed. You may be able to fix the problem by taking it to a service center and having them recharge the a/c system to proper capacity.
    That makes sense freezing and unfreezing allowing air to pass. I cant imagine that something blocking the system say it freezing up like that would defrost so quickly? But you could be into something.
    So do you think there is too much or too little freon in the system that could be causing this? Or do you think there might be something (shooting in the dark) thats not working properly allowing the system to get "too cold, and freeze" like a regulator or temperature control module?

My experience has been that freezing was always a symptom of low refrigerant level. I guess it has something to do with too much air in the coils instead of refrigerant, and it causes more condensation to freeze on the outside of the coils. Eventually the icing condition builds up enough to block the air flow. As soon as the a/c is turned off, the engine heat, outside air, etc. quickly melts the ice, and you get air flow again. I can't rule out some other culprit, as I don't have experience with other control failures. My problem with freezing was always a low level of refrigerant. It's easy to get tested, and topped off. If it was me, that is the first thing I'd do. If you still have the problem, at least you know the level is good.

MPLIN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Check the AC condenser in the engine bay when the air stops blowing. If your problem is being caused by the AC system freezing over, the condenser should be covered with ice when the air stops blowing. If your condenser is covered in ice then the two most likely problems are low refrigerant level as roadog1aj mentioned or a bad sensor in the condenser. The sensor is located on the condenser itself. I'm having a similar issue with my 2008 ESV. My refrigerant pressure check out OK so my next step is to change the sensor. From what I found out, the sensor can be swapped out without the refrigerant leaking so it should be a fairly simple job.

Quote Originally Posted by MPLIN View Post
    Check the AC condenser in the engine bay when the air stops blowing. If your problem is being caused by the AC system freezing over, the condenser should be covered with ice when the air stops blowing. If your condenser is covered in ice then the two most likely problems are low refrigerant level as roadog1aj mentioned or a bad sensor in the condenser. The sensor is located on the condenser itself. I'm having a similar issue with my 2008 ESV. My refrigerant pressure check out OK so my next step is to change the sensor. From what I found out, the sensor can be swapped out without the refrigerant leaking so it should be a fairly simple job.
    MPLIN, any updates on swapping out that sensor? I'm have my refrigerant levels checked over the weekend to rule that out as an issue....

MPLIN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JCat27 View Post
    MPLIN, any updates on swapping out that sensor? I'm have my refrigerant levels checked over the weekend to rule that out as an issue....
    I been busy with work so I haven't had a chance to purchase and change the sensor. To prevent the system from freezing over I have been turning AC on for 10 to 15 mins and off for 1 to 2 min. Cycling this over and over so far has kept the AC blowing cold air. (I know it's a pain but it works for now) Sometimes I forget and leave the AC on too long and when it freezes over, it take about 2 to 5 min for the ice to melt and the AC blowing again. I probably won't get a chance to work on it until mid to late Nov. I'll post an update when I get the sensor changes out.

computerman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

Did this start after you replaced the control module for HVAC or did you replace this after you started experiencing the issues?

Quote Originally Posted by computerman View Post
    Did this start after you replaced the control module for HVAC or did you replace this after you started experiencing the issues?
    We bought it in February and replaced that HVAC control in April bc the mode selector was getting stuck, so I'm not sure if it was doing this prior to that or not. We have had that HVAC controller checked and programmed 2 times trying to rule that out as the issue so it "should" be working ok, but im not ruling it out.

We did checked the refrigerant levels Saturday and it was only low by 0.12lbs, read 2.88 and we brought it up to factory spec of 3.00.

Checked all codes and it was throwing this one:

B9333-05 A/C Evaporator Temperature Sensor Circuit Short to battery open

Anyone have any idea where the Evap Temp sensor is? Or how to check/fix this?

It may be the sensor MPLIN was referring to in an earlier post. I have no experience in that area myself. I tried a quick search and found this: http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/5...-problems.html
    It does not give any detailed instructions on locating and changing any sensors, but it may give you some idea on how the HVAC system is supposed to function.
    Hope it helps!

Ghost Deany is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS

This is the same issue i posted about a month ago. Mine is covered in frost. Turning the heat on clears it and it works again. Going to look into recharging or the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Deany View Post
    This is the same issue i posted about a month ago. Mine is covered in frost. Turning the heat on clears it and it works again. Going to look into recharging or the sensor.
    See the problem we are having is finding the sensor, there is no info on it what so ever Anyone know where it is?

B9333-05 A/C Evaporator Temperature Sensor Circuit Short to battery open

I have the official GM service manual for the truck, i will check into it tomorrow. Going to try recharging mine as a first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Deany View Post
    I have the official GM service manual for the truck, i will check into it tomorrow. Going to try recharging mine as a first step.
    That would be great. Let me know if you are able to locate it.

I am wondering if my truck may be throwing this code b/c when we put in the new HVAC control unit (dash controller) instead of the "AUX" button for the rear air it says "REAR". Maybe that replacement unit is designed for 2008+ models? Since mine is a 2007 maybe there is no Temperature Sensor in the 2007's and that newer unit is causing the computer to think there is one? Any thoughts on that anyone?

according to the manual heres the picture

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.