Escalade chrome wheel defect--what is fair?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Escalade chrome wheel defect--what is fair? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; My wife's 2009 Escalade had 2 chrome wheels go bad under warranty. The wheels corrode around the bead and the ...
    caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Escalade chrome wheel defect--what is fair?

My wife's 2009 Escalade had 2 chrome wheels go bad under warranty. The wheels corrode around the bead and the tires lose air. There is a TSB out and Caddy has replaced lots of these wheels. It is an inconveniance. My wife was stranded twice.

When the second wheel went, I asked the dealer to replace all 4 since it seemed a certainty they would all fail.

Sure enough, last weekend when leaving for Labor Day, the third wheel went. The 4 yr period was up and the car has 66,000 miles.

I call the dealer and they say it is out of warrnty. I say it is a latent defect and the warranty period is irrelevent . I also said I had asked for all of them to be replaced under the W period. The conversation got VERY heated with the GM of service--rude in fact. (me too in all honesty)

Ultimately, after much back and forth they wore down and agreed to replace it.

My question is --was I out of line thinking it should be replaced free of charge?? I don't think this (or the heated call) would have happened with Lexus.

I am not complaining--I got the wheel--but way too much hassle--especially from a converted BMW (M5) owner who has had 7 Caddies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

Re: Escalade chrome wheel defect--what is fair?

No, not at all. Especially when It's a known defect. Maybe GM will pull their head out of their ass, and get a different vendor, instead of using China garbage that costs them more in warranty repairs. You hear that GM? Problem is, you have some office idiot who looks at numbers and sees some initial savings, not longevity or what the potential cost could be for faulty products in the future.

good point--this is a vendor problem, so GM should just keep sending the defective wheels back to the vendor. If the vendor is belly up, GM should just do the stand up thing without all the angst and makinga 7 Caddie own consider changing manufacturers

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    I agree you should not have had to work that hard, but I have an '07 with four bad wheels (corrosion) and never got anyone to do anything about it. Nothing. None of my complaining amounted to anything and now I put air in my tires every other day in the winter, less often in the summer.

I travel with a 12v pump in my back all the time and when anyone asks me I talk them it's because GM can't use a decent wheel in a $70k+ truck. My last GM for sure... just can't afford to replace it at this point. How's the navigator, folks? Sad, but I need the cargo space...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Always interesting to see the posts Customer Service responds to and those it ignores . Hmmmm

tug130 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade
    I have an 08 that I bought used last year and I have the same issue with the wheels corroding and loosing air. Looks like one of the wheels were replaced and the rest are originals. I plan on replacing them with some aftermarket wheels. Keep us posted if you get anything out of them also does anybody have any info on the tab for the rims?

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    I think they know the issues and have been told to say nothing so they are not liable to fix anything. You would think, however, GM/Cadillac would be embarrassed to have all of their trucks with "fancy" wheels driving around looking like crap (you know, the peeling issues, too). Says a lot to me about how they really don't care about the product.

I have a local shop that repairs wheels and might finally break down and see if they can do anything. If not, I will probably have to replace them with something of better than GM-Chinese quality. Six years and I don't think I can do one more winter with putting air in every day or two.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

How's the navigator???,,,,, Ugly and under powered!!!

shag766 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 escalade

i have an 07 with the same problem, peeling chrome and slow leakage. when i approached the local dealer here, belleville, ont, i was informed there was no warranty on wheels. sometime later i was tired of the low pressure warning coming on and me having to put air in bi-weekly at this point. i took the car to a local tire dealer to try and fix the problem once an for all. he pointed out how the flaking chrome was creating the problem with the tire off. after some grinding and a sealant applied it seems ok now.
    also he mentioned that a problem such as this is a borderline dangerous defect as it has to do with driving under inflated tires unknowingly at any time. interesting. remember the debacle with one of the big tire companies having a serious problem.

i did buy the esc used with approx 30,000 miles on it and payed the 4000.00 plus for extended warranty. it is my 2nd cadi.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Don't think this is a GM only problem, or shop sees this on many 5-10 year old cars/trucks with chrome wheels, that is because the lowest bidder is getting the contract and making the wheels.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

I've had two wheels fixed so far on my 07 EXT. By me theres a company called "wheel fix it". They actually put it on a lathe and mill off 1/16" of the lip so the tire can seal. Never had any problems with the repair. Im patiently waiting for the next 2. :/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.