Bullet Proof tow vehicle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Bullet Proof tow vehicle in Cadillac Escalade Forums; this summer i towed a 27 foot camper about 2000 miles, my total weight of camper, passengers, cargo and my ...
    hollingass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 ESV ultra luxury

Bullet Proof tow vehicle

this summer i towed a 27 foot camper about 2000 miles, my total weight of camper, passengers, cargo and my 08 ESV was 14,500 pounds. I did not use cruise control and shifted manually, this seemed to keep my transmission temps under control. even when towing in hot weather, pushing wind and going up some good hills. now we are looking to upgrade our camper and will be going up in weight 1000 to 2000 pounds. i know this will be over my GCW limit of 14,000 pounds as indicated in my owners manual. so is there anything i can do to make this thing bullet proof? is there any weak spots in the transmission? is there larger aftermarket trans coolers available? i guess more power would help as well.

if anybody has any experience towing a 7000lb to 8500lb trailer can you give me any tips on what to watch for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    You are going to need at least a 3/4 ton. You are pushing your luck towing that much weight with a half-ton truck.

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

Re: Bullet Proof tow vehicle

That's cutting it awfully close, and for the record we all know no vehicle is absolutely bullet proof. If it were so Germany and Japan would have built it by now.

hemiwin6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade

What is the dry weight of your current 27ft camper?

My current camper dry and empty weighs in at 5500 pounds. Ones we are looking at are between 6500 and 8000.
    According to my manual my ESV is rated to tow that much, but I will obviously be heavier than that with passengers and cargo.

I actually have a 3/4 ton diesel truck but with 5 kids 3 of which are in car seats the truck is no longer an option for long distance trips.

I know I will be pushing the envelope on what I can safely tow, that's why I would like to identify any weak points now and try and mitigate the risk of a breakdown

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I have towed 7k lbs snowmobile trailer many times with many different Escalade's I have had, but it's in the winter, when I tow heavy in the summer I use my 2500 HD, the Allison transmission is bulletproof. I would start with a larger trans cooler, it will help, but if you are towing a lot in the summer you may need a stronger truck

hemiwin6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade

I, also have been looking at several different campers. I think I have decided on one that weighs in at 6k lbs. Mine will never be towed very far though. I don't know of any specific "weak" spots, but I would try to increase power, cooling, and braking.

I have added a Magnaflow catback, and a Cold Air Inductions intake, and I plan to add the following:

Trinity tuner w/ a custom diablew tune
    Long tube headers. (Kooks or ARH)
    Big brake kit
    Additional/larger trans cooler
    All fresh synthetic fluids

What campers do you have in mind? I've looked at a lot, and think I've decided on a Viewfinder 28bhss. I've looked at several that I liked better, but passed because of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by hemiwin6.2 View Post
    I, also have been looking at several different campers. I think I have decided on one that weighs in at 6k lbs. Mine will never be towed very far though. I don't know of any specific "weak" spots, but I would try to increase power, cooling, and braking.

I have added a Magnaflow catback, and a Cold Air Inductions intake, and I plan to add the following:

Trinity tuner w/ a custom diablew tune
    Long tube headers. (Kooks or ARH)
    Big brake kit
    Additional/larger trans cooler
    All fresh synthetic fluids

What campers do you have in mind? I've looked at a lot, and think I've decided on a Viewfinder 28bhss. I've looked at several that I liked better, but passed because of weight.
    i am considering those exact mods, we have looked at that same floor plan in a Cougar, i really want to get a Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs, but its heavy.

check out the Premier 32BHPR, pretty much the same floorplan as the Viewfinder but with a couple cool features. i will be showing the Viewfinder to my wife, thanks!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.