Winter tires: Light Truck or Passenger?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Winter tires: Light Truck or Passenger? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    mfong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade, 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT with sunroof

Winter tires: Light Truck or Passenger?

Hello,

I'm getting close to buying my wife's Escalade a set of winter tires. I bought 4 spare tire steel wheels for the incoming winter tires, but now I'm at another crossroad. Do I get the passenger or Light Truck tires? She’s not going to be towing anything, let alone in the winter. I will most likely put 2 bags of concrete mix on the left and right sides to add some weight to the back. What are your opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Winter tires: Light Truck or Passenger?

Quote Originally Posted by mfong View Post
    Hello,

I'm getting close to buying my wife's Escalade a set of winter tires. I bought 4 spare tire steel wheels for the incoming winter tires, but now I'm at another crossroad. Do I get the passenger or Light Truck tires? She’s not going to be towing anything, let alone in the winter. I will most likely put 2 bags of concrete mix on the left and right sides to add some weight to the back. What are your opinions?
    If it's all wheel drive you do not need any bags of concrete, I drive thru snow over the hood with off road tires, for your wife or your driving look at Blizzak's or Revo's, Revo's are better in deep snow and Blizzak's are good for all around snow and ice, some "light truck tires" like I run are very rough riding because the extra belts in the tires, of course you can not destroy them either. I have used chains on all 4 wheels several times when the snow was window level and had to get to the house to get to the plow, but we live in an extreme area

chakde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade EXT, 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum

I use Blizzaks as well and have had no issues. As hcvone mentioned i have never used any weight in the back either but both of mine are AWD.

mfong is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade, 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    If it's all wheel drive you do not need any bags of concrete, I drive thru snow over the hood with off road tires, for your wife or your driving look at Blizzak's or Revo's, Revo's are better in deep snow and Blizzak's are good for all around snow and ice, some "light truck tires" like I run are very rough riding because the extra belts in the tires, of course you can not destroy them either. I have used chains on all 4 wheels several times when the snow was window level and had to get to the house to get to the plow, but we live in an extreme area
    Thanks for your reply. I talked with someone from Tire Rack and they recommended the P rated tires and you're right about the bags of concrete because she has AWD. What I wish the 2011 had was the option of selecting 2 or 4 wheel drive. I took a look at the load rating for General Tire Altimax Arctic and the LT rating can hold 16% more than the P rated tire of the same size.

I'm looking forward to owning the roads and hills during the winter. AWD + Winters will make a dramatic difference.

%edit

I just looked up the weight distribution and it's 52% front 48% rear. I don't know what I was thinking about with the bags of concrete.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.