Electrical issues/battery cables replaced
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Electrical issues/battery cables replaced in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Long story short, Our 09 ESV (CPO with 29K miles on it) has been in twice now for the electrical ...
    skozzy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS AWD V8 09 Escalade ESV

Electrical issues/battery cables replaced

Long story short,

Our 09 ESV (CPO with 29K miles on it) has been in twice now for the electrical issues. First time I explained to Service advisor to test the battery cables. They had it for about a week, called said batter was bad would not be covered under warranty. I paid and left. A week later same problem. I noticed they never replaced the battery cables. Took it back in this time they have it for a few days and replaced the -neg cable said it tested bad. I picked it up, friday afternoon, got home went to unlock the doors as we were going out. Back doors will not unlock. I had to manually open them. So I know the actuators are probably bad. Then last night getting ready to leave, truck acts hesitates on starting but then I let off the key and try again. Truck comes back on but now the clock is at 1200 again.

Any ideas? I have yet to call the service dept as I am getting a bit annoyed, normally they have been a great shop but they have been having a lot of changes (people) and the service has been less than stellar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

Re: Electrical issues/battery cables replaced

Gonna start off by asking... Do you have any kind of "Lock-Pick" device connected to the NAV system or anything other than OEM installed in the vehicle electronically? If you do, I'd start by eliminating it. I had all kinds of issues with the Lock-Pic crap, and it didn't matter what Gen it was. Complete Garbage in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by K9Caddy View Post
    Gonna start off by asking... Do you have any kind of "Lock-Pick" device connected to the NAV system or anything other than OEM installed in the vehicle electronically? If you do, I'd start by eliminating it. I had all kinds of issues with the Lock-Pic crap, and it didn't matter what Gen it was. Complete Garbage in my book.
    Nope not a big fan of aftermarket equipment. The only thing we have is an aux cable to run the iPods however have XM so really havent used the aux yet.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by skozzy View Post
    Long story short,

Our 09 ESV (CPO with 29K miles on it) has been in twice now for the electrical issues. First time I explained to Service advisor to test the battery cables. They had it for about a week, called said batter was bad would not be covered under warranty. I paid and left. A week later same problem. I noticed they never replaced the battery cables. Took it back in this time they have it for a few days and replaced the -neg cable said it tested bad. I picked it up, friday afternoon, got home went to unlock the doors as we were going out. Back doors will not unlock. I had to manually open them. So I know the actuators are probably bad. Then last night getting ready to leave, truck acts hesitates on starting but then I let off the key and try again. Truck comes back on but now the clock is at 1200 again.

Any ideas? I have yet to call the service dept as I am getting a bit annoyed, normally they have been a great shop but they have been having a lot of changes (people) and the service has been less than stellar.
    Hello skozzy,

I apologize for the electrical issues you are experiencing with your ESV. I understand how bringing your vehicle in for the same issue with no fix can be frustrating. I also am sorry you are not satisfied with the service department currently. I would like to discuss this concern with you. Please reach out via private message and include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of the dealership.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hmmm.. It's hard to narrow down without actually having the truck in hand. Could be many things. Anything from: a battery, cable, alternator, regulator, faulty control module, etc.. There are so many electronic devices to look at.

tug130 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade

OK this is basically the same issue I had and am having again with my 2008 Escalade. I do not have any aftermarket items installed on the vehicle and this is what I dealt with. The first time I took the vehicle in to the dealer I got this:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE VEHICLE WILL NOT START AT
    TIMES, SOMETIHES THE MDIO l/'llLL BLACK OUT WHILE
    DRIVING. CHECK/ADVISE
    C0DES F0UND: RADI0-81325-03, 8000-5A. ECM-P0513-00 p.s. D00R-v0156-00, v0208-00. v0164-00, v0155-00,
    81023-00, V0199-00, V0140-00, 81000-35, 81000-43
    D.S. D00R V0155-00, V0140-00, 80123-00. COULD NOT
    DUPLICATE CONCERN WITH STARTING/ENGINE RUNNING.
    FOUND BULLETIN FOR NAVIGATION CONCERN
    COMPLETED NAVIGATION UPDATE. NAV VERSION-101A

And then the issue happened again and they tried this:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT INTERMITTENTLY AFTER STARTING THE
    VEHICLE WITH THE TRUCK IN PARK IT WILL LOOSE ALL POI,JER
    (ELECTRICAL AND ENGINE) THEN YOU CAN TAKE THE KEY OUT
    AND RESTART VEHICLE. CHECK/ADVISE
    VERIFIED CUSTOMERS CONCERN. FOUND CODE P0513 THEFT
    DETERENT KEY (HISTORY CODE)
    REPROGMI4MED THEFT DETERENT. REFER TO R.O. 512590

That was after a lot of research and a call to Cadillac myself concerning the issue. The vehicle worked great from April to August 17th and now it's doing it again. I think it's a problem with the theft deterrent module and they are slow rolling me on the replacement part. If you disconnect the battery and let it sit over night you probably will not see the problem again for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by tug130 View Post
    OK this is basically the same issue I had and am having again with my 2008 Escalade. I do not have any aftermarket items installed on the vehicle and this is what I dealt with. The first time I took the vehicle in to the dealer I got this:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE VEHICLE WILL NOT START AT
    TIMES, SOMETIHES THE MDIO l/'llLL BLACK OUT WHILE
    DRIVING. CHECK/ADVISE
    C0DES F0UND: RADI0-81325-03, 8000-5A. ECM-P0513-00 p.s. D00R-v0156-00, v0208-00. v0164-00, v0155-00,
    81023-00, V0199-00, V0140-00, 81000-35, 81000-43
    D.S. D00R V0155-00, V0140-00, 80123-00. COULD NOT
    DUPLICATE CONCERN WITH STARTING/ENGINE RUNNING.
    FOUND BULLETIN FOR NAVIGATION CONCERN
    COMPLETED NAVIGATION UPDATE. NAV VERSION-101A

And then the issue happened again and they tried this:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT INTERMITTENTLY AFTER STARTING THE
    VEHICLE WITH THE TRUCK IN PARK IT WILL LOOSE ALL POI,JER
    (ELECTRICAL AND ENGINE) THEN YOU CAN TAKE THE KEY OUT
    AND RESTART VEHICLE. CHECK/ADVISE
    VERIFIED CUSTOMERS CONCERN. FOUND CODE P0513 THEFT
    DETERENT KEY (HISTORY CODE)
    REPROGMI4MED THEFT DETERENT. REFER TO R.O. 512590

That was after a lot of research and a call to Cadillac myself concerning the issue. The vehicle worked great from April to August 17th and now it's doing it again. I think it's a problem with the theft deterrent module and they are slow rolling me on the replacement part. If you disconnect the battery and let it sit over night you probably will not see the problem again for a couple of days.
    Thanks! That makes me wonder. I noticed the theft deterrent message flash right before the power dropped this last time. I will pass that along to the service advisor. I dropped it off again today.

gabe8496 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV, 94 Mustang GT

Mine is acting up again. This past Sunday was leaving the local water park with the family and noticed clock was as 12:00. I turned on my front map light as I was pulling away from the parking space and it was flickering (my indicator that if I turn off the Esky it will lose power). So I pulled into the nearest parking spot, popped the hood and as soon as I turned it off, sure enough all power went out. So I went ahead an opened up the hood and asked the wife to tell me when the map light turned back on. I started to move the negative cable near the terminal where it was factory crimped and the moment I moved it, the power came back. I asked her to start it and it turned right on.

I plan to replace the cables soon but I'm wondering...if I do the dual battery setup, would it even matter since it would still have an alternate power and ground source? I still plan to replace the cables and do the dual battery setup but just curious.

Yes, it would matter. It is not an alternative power or ground source, its shared and ran in parallel to each other. Usually, for the second battery, you'd run the power to the starter and the ground somewhere on the engine. Ideally, the ground to the engine block head, which usually has a nice open hole available just for that purpose. Check out the 'Dual Battery' thread for more info and a parts list.

And its off to the dealership again on Friday. The following is like a choose your own adventure:

Aug. 13th – Wife reported a (stop start event on vehicle) removed key then reinserted and
    vehicle started normally with radio and all other features working properly.

Aug 16th – Vehicle had been sitting since the 13th and not driven. Upon starting the vehicle there Aug 3rd - While towing a pontoon boat for about 30 minutes received a service stabil track flashing light momentarily. Turned stabil track off disconnected negative battery terminal and re attached with vehicle operating normally.was no sound from the radio nor was there an audible tone from the buttons on the touch screen display. Vehicle ran for about 10 min. while I attempted to trouble shoot the problem. Vehicle was shut down and upon re-start I experienced a (stop start). I removed the key re inserted the key and the vehicle was completely dead (as in there was no battery connected at all). I checked the battery and it read 12.67 volts. I disconnected the battery and re attached and the vehicle started normally with all functions working as well

Aug 21rst – Wife drove vehicle to work parked it returned 2 hours later started it up and drove from Dahlgren NAS to Wal-Mart and experienced a flashing service stabil track light. Parked and shutdown vehicle and upon restart the vehicle was completely dead as per Aug 16th. 30 min. later I tried to start the vehicle and there was no power at all to the vehicle. I removed the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds then reattached and started the vehicle. As I began to leave the parking lot I noticed the radio head unit and gauge cluster flickered and the AC was blowing full hot on all settings and after turning the air on and off a couple of times. 15 minutes later I arrived at my house shut down the vehicle and restarted with all functions working normally but the AC was still blowing full hot.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by tug130 View Post
    And its off to the dealership again on Friday. The following is like a choose your own adventure:

Aug. 13th – Wife reported a (stop start event on vehicle) removed key then reinserted and
    vehicle started normally with radio and all other features working properly.

Aug 16th – Vehicle had been sitting since the 13th and not driven. Upon starting the vehicle there Aug 3rd - While towing a pontoon boat for about 30 minutes received a service stabil track flashing light momentarily. Turned stabil track off disconnected negative battery terminal and re attached with vehicle operating normally.was no sound from the radio nor was there an audible tone from the buttons on the touch screen display. Vehicle ran for about 10 min. while I attempted to trouble shoot the problem. Vehicle was shut down and upon re-start I experienced a (stop start). I removed the key re inserted the key and the vehicle was completely dead (as in there was no battery connected at all). I checked the battery and it read 12.67 volts. I disconnected the battery and re attached and the vehicle started normally with all functions working as well

Aug 21rst – Wife drove vehicle to work parked it returned 2 hours later started it up and drove from Dahlgren NAS to Wal-Mart and experienced a flashing service stabil track light. Parked and shutdown vehicle and upon restart the vehicle was completely dead as per Aug 16th. 30 min. later I tried to start the vehicle and there was no power at all to the vehicle. I removed the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds then reattached and started the vehicle. As I began to leave the parking lot I noticed the radio head unit and gauge cluster flickered and the AC was blowing full hot on all settings and after turning the air on and off a couple of times. 15 minutes later I arrived at my house shut down the vehicle and restarted with all functions working normally but the AC was still blowing full hot.
    Hello tug130,

I apologize for the issues you and your wife are experiencing with your Escalade. I see you are going to the dealership for these concerns. If you would like our assistance, please reach out via private message and include your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealership name. I would like to hear about your situation and stay involved throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Neg batt cable?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.