2007 Escalade caught fire today - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2007 Escalade caught fire today in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by wesyder 70k escalade +20k in repairs... My income needs to be fixed like that..... Imo insurance does ...
    blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Re: 2007 Escalade caught fire today

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder View Post
    70k escalade +20k in repairs... My income needs to be fixed like that..... Imo insurance does matter ,it is there to protect your investment as well as cover issues caused by the incident
    Exactly, not only that but they cover the person and medical expenses in the event of an accident or situation unless the vehicle wasn't fully insured and there wasn't a personal injury/medical liability option in place. Was a police report filed? Insurance contacted? Did you go to the hospital or seek treatment from a physician? These should all be documented and sent to your insurance since these are the things they need as they are your insurer. I think the majority of the people on here are trying to help figure out your situation to get things resolved on your end as well as learn more from the incident than jumping into the GM criticism discussion the OP is expecting.

roadog1aj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

Hmmm.....wondering if the OP is related to hannity by any chance

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Leelabell1 View Post
    My last car was a Honda pilot I purchased new drove it for well over 300000 miles never had a problem other then normal wear and tear. Did all regular maintaince. I have put over $20,000.00 of repairs into this car in one year. Don't tell me that this is normal. I have owned several business have had hundreds of cars and commercial trucks......
    I own a 2003 Honda pilot exlres as well and have 209k miles on it. like you I bought it new and it is 10 years and 4 months. maintenance was synthetic oil from the very beginning and after 110k miles use Mobil 1 extended performance and even extended the oil change interval to 15k miles. it's a good thing I bought hondacare to fix the lock actuators(4), emission fix causing CEL light to light at 80k miles(past warranty), leather wrinkling and both rear tail light lens pop-out which Honda doesn't want to replace. other issues like tranny shudder, strict regular VTM fluid change or else it will fail(common issue), drive shaft boot leaks and all shocks shot at 100k miles which is part of maintenance past warranty. I still have it even if it only give 13-14mpg city and 17-19mpg hwy.

So, unlike you I bought my 2009(best year) escalade hybrid new and has exceeded my expectations. it is close to beating my pilot. it currently have 130k miles and going and still have its new car smell. leather is perfect. issues=none. 18mpg city and up to 25mpg hwy, 20mpg hwy if driving between 70-80mph. engine oil changed only with mobil 1 extended performance as well since break-in oil. it's my DD and gives confidence in my travels due to its onstar directions.

75,000 miles of previous ownership by first owner can lead to trouble. the fuse block you are showing was probably used as a fuse tap and since it is ON all the time the wires could have melted. that's why there was no telltale signs.

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium
    Could those wires have come loose and shorted out? Haven't checked for power on them, but they are at least 16Ga. Possibly from the heated wiper system? Possible I fuse was added back by accident while checking fuses for something else and now powered up those two wires and caused the short fire.....

Leelabell1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Yes, the police and fire dept. we're contacted and on site to assist. Dr. Was seen as well. It is not only the fire issue but other mechanical defects with this Escalade. I would expect GM to look into the issue so it does not happen to someone else. Had there been a family in the car and someone passed out due to the smoke they could have gotten killed or if someone was not near by with a fire extinguisher and there was children in car seats in the back and the whole car burst into flames and they couldn't get the children out. This is not only about the financial part of it, it's the safety. I would hate to hear someone's family got killed. Maybe GM needs to look at this issue. This is how they find defective items and make recalls. If they are not made aware many folks would be injured in all kinds of makes of autos. And as far as my income yes it is fixed now due to me having had to go through cancer treatments. Chemotherapy and radiation aren't inexpensive treatments for those of you who want to slam me on my finances and my husband he is a 100% service connected Veteran who did 3 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan and was injured when he was in Iraq. Now maybe you will understand why we need a dependable car and are pissed off about all the issues. We have many Dr. Appointments and would think this vehicle would have been reliable. It's in the shop more then out!

----------

The escalade has been repaired at a GM dealer and they have confirmed the fire was due to a defect. There has been nothing added to this vehicles electric system, everything was original. It was a defective part from the manufacturer. They contacted the manufacturer with the info and A
    m refused to work with the dealer....I did recieve a call from GM finally today and they are going to look into this. I really hope they do so no one else has to go through this and if it is a safety issue they do whatever they need to, to fix all the GM products with the defective parts...

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Are you planning on keeping it??

---Coming here and trashing a brand isn't going to get GM to research this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Ride
    Could those wires have come loose and shorted out? Haven't checked for power on them, but they are at least 16Ga. Possibly from the heated wiper system? Possible I fuse was added back by accident while checking fuses for something else and now powered up those two wires and caused the short fire.....
    Top part of my post is missing for some reason. I have an 09 ESV Plat. If you look down by the fuse box on both sides, in front of Master Cylinder, you will find 2 red power wires wrapped in electrical tape. They are at least 14Ga. Were these wires from the heated washer? Anyone have any idea?

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Leelabell1
    Yes, the police and fire dept. we're contacted and on site to assist. Dr. Was seen as well. It is not only the fire issue but other mechanical defects with this Escalade. I would expect GM to look into the issue so it does not happen to someone else. Had there been a family in the car and someone passed out due to the smoke they could have gotten killed or if someone was not near by with a fire extinguisher and there was children in car seats in the back and the whole car burst into flames and they couldn't get the children out. This is not only about the financial part of it, it's the safety. I would hate to hear someone's family got killed. Maybe GM needs to look at this issue. This is how they find defective items and make recalls. If they are not made aware many folks would be injured in all kinds of makes of autos. And as far as my income yes it is fixed now due to me having had to go through cancer treatments. Chemotherapy and radiation aren't inexpensive treatments for those of you who want to slam me on my finances and my husband he is a 100% service connected Veteran who did 3 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan and was injured when he was in Iraq. Now maybe you will understand why we need a dependable car and are pissed off about all the issues. We have many Dr. Appointments and would think this vehicle would have been reliable. It's in the shop more then out!

----------

The escalade has been repaired at a GM dealer and they have confirmed the fire was due to a defect. There has been nothing added to this vehicles electric system, everything was original. It was a defective part from the manufacturer. They contacted the manufacturer with the info and A
    m refused to work with the dealer....I did recieve a call from GM finally today and they are going to look into this. I really hope they do so no one else has to go through this and if it is a safety issue they do whatever they need to, to fix all the GM products with the defective parts...
    Unfortunately death warrants investigations, in my experience the insurance company would contact arson investigators to see how the fire started if they believe it was a vehicle defect then the insurance company would go after the manufacturer, but it would still be extremely difficult because of the age of the vehicle. What also warrants investigations is multiple cases of the same make of vehicle burning up. I don't think anyone was slamming your income, its just escalade and fixed income don't normally come about in the same situation, maybe to help your case the dealer could give you some documentation as to what they believe started the fire, highly unlikely but worth a shot, many of us on this forum have over 100k on these vehicles with not very many issues... Good luck and i hope it works out for you and your family

----------

Top part of my post is missing for some reason. I have an 09 ESV Plat. If you look down by the fuse box on both sides, in front of Master Cylinder, you will find 2 red power wires wrapped in electrical tape. They are at least 14Ga. Were these wires from the heated washer? Anyone have any idea?
    I believe that maybe the battery charge line for a camper trailer, so the vehicle charges the trailer batteries while in tow

But there are two of them. Its a little odd that its a loose wire just wrapped in electrical tape strapped to the main wire harness. I thought it was only my vehicle, but i checked under the hood of other vehicles, same thing. Not sure if it is before 09.

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    But there are two of them. Its a little odd that its a loose wire just wrapped in electrical tape strapped to the main wire harness. I thought it was only my vehicle, but i checked under the hood of other vehicles, same thing. Not sure if it is before 09.

image-406656804.jpg

AZKlaus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade EXT Premium

I'm really blown away that you didn't have proper insurance. My first car was a 2001 Chevy S-10. The accelerator had an issue where the hardware on the back could get stuck on the plastic pad sewn into the carpet. I of course didn't know this until I was driving in my girlfriend's neighborhood and it got stuck sending me on a crazy ride going 50-60 and eventually into a tree. I was okay but the truck was totaled. My insurance company investigated and did find the accelerator pedal to be faulty and therefore paid my claim as a no fault, I got my deductible back, and they went after GM to recover. Your insurance company absolutely would have done the same for this unless you had bogus insurance or none at all for an expensive vehicle which if that's the case you only have yourself to blame for your losses here. While I certainly don't wish ill of you, I hope that your next vehicle will have a reasonable insurance policy, it's worth the little extra money.
    MrHolland likes this.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

^^^That!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.