New Rotors and Brake Pads, what do you prefer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, New Rotors and Brake Pads, what do you prefer in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I'm starting to hear some noise from my front passenger break, probably time to change the pads. I wanted to ...
    fivepix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Cadillac Escalade

New Rotors and Brake Pads, what do you prefer

I'm starting to hear some noise from my front passenger break, probably time to change the pads.

I wanted to get some advice of which ones to get. I'm not looking for a big break upgrade simply looking to replace the rotors and pads. My overall goal is to find a rotors and pads that will give me better stopping power than my current OEM setup.

So far I'm looking at these EBC 3GD Series Sport Slotted Rotors with EBC 6000 Series Greenstuff.
    I've heard the slotted will wear the pads quicker, so would blank rotors be better? i.e. keep the oem rotors and use the greenstuff pads?

Also, can I simply buy the front rotors and pads and leave the rears for now or should I get all four done at once.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Re: New Rotors and Brake Pads, what do you prefer

I installed the redstuff pads and some r1 concept slotted rotors on my 300c and I could not get the brakes to stop squeaking. I broke them in multiple times and was told to put at least 1,500 miles on them to really get them wore in a little, and this still didn't cure it. I think i'm going to go with cross drilled rotors the next time around and just go with some OEM ceramic pads.

texas1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

OEM ceramic pads.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

EBC dimpled and slotted rotors with 6000 front pads #DP61830 and 7000 rear pads #DP71830, we have put these on over 2 dozen Escalade's including 3 of mine, with stainless brake lines this is a HUGE improvement over stock in stopping distance, no squeal if you follow the brake bedding instructions which is important, been using these since 2009 and the dimples and slots DO NOT EAT UP BRAKE PADS.

hrpatel17926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
    I just installed the Baer slotted and dimpled rotors matched with their pads. Wow what a difference it made. Bought them from auto anything with discounts for around $700. Very simple to install and they look great also.

I have always used Napa ultra premium stuff in my cars and trucks and usually get around 50-60k out of them however since one of my calipers got stuck it killed the rotor and I just replaced with the Baer stuff.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hrpatel17926 View Post
    I just installed the Baer slotted and dimpled rotors matched with their pads. Wow what a difference it made. Bought them from auto anything with discounts for around $700. Very simple to install and they look great also.

I have always used Napa ultra premium stuff in my cars and trucks and usually get around 50-60k out of them however since one of my calipers got stuck it killed the rotor and I just replaced with the Baer stuff.

Good luck.
    Baer is a good choice, have had them on several corvette's I own/have owned.

soulsea is offline defector
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Ice Escalade Premium All Win Drive

I've heard nothing but great reviews for R1 Concepts rotors and pads.

Stay away from Hawk pads imo.
    r1concepts likes this.
    2012 Black Ice Escalade Premium All Win Drive (sold 3/14)

Build Thread: Drop BBK Corsa and 24s

fivepix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Cadillac Escalade

@blackex - do you think it was the pads you had issues with or the rotors?

Also, does it matter if you use the Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors in areas with a lot of snow? I'm in Canada but I'm not sure if that matters or not?

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Yeah I heard nothing but great reviews also thats why I spent the extra money and went with their rotors and EBC red stuff. I could not figure why I was constantly getting a slight squeaking noise at low speeds. It may have been the pads because they apparently take some time to finally begin to wear? Just posting my experience, i'm interested in upgrading the brakes on my escalade eventually since the new OEM ceramic pads and rotors don't seem to have lasted as long as I hoped with commuting to work everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
    I've heard nothing but great reviews for R1 Concepts rotors and pads.

Stay away from Hawk pads imo.
    I have used Hawk pads on 7 of my last Corvette's, they are great pads if you bed them correctly, I have never had a squeal from them ever and beat them pretty good.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackex View Post
    Yeah I heard nothing but great reviews also thats why I spent the extra money and went with their rotors and EBC red stuff. I could not figure why I was constantly getting a slight squeaking noise at low speeds. It may have been the pads because they apparently take some time to finally begin to wear? Just posting my experience, i'm interested in upgrading the brakes on my escalade eventually since the new OEM ceramic pads and rotors don't seem to have lasted as long as I hoped with commuting to work everyday.
    You need to following their bedding instructions on the pads and rotors, it makes all the difference in the world

soulsea is offline defector
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Ice Escalade Premium All Win Drive

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    I have used Hawk pads on 7 of my last Corvette's, they are great pads if you bed them correctly, I have never had a squeal from them ever and beat them pretty good.
    I had PNs HWK-HB561Z-710 (front) and HWK-HB568Z-666 (rear) installed and broken in properly on my Tahoe, they started squeaking something awful within two months of installation. Also, if you search around GMT900 forums, many people have complained of this same issue and about them wearing out rotors at a much greater pace ... although admittedly I cannot vouch for others' installation and usage methodology.

But based on my own experience, I will never buy Hawk products again. Just my 2c in a thread which solicits as much.
    2012 Black Ice Escalade Premium All Win Drive (sold 3/14)

Build Thread: Drop BBK Corsa and 24s

Quote Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
    I had PNs HWK-HB561Z-710 (front) and HWK-HB568Z-666 (rear) installed and broken in properly on my Tahoe, they started squeaking something awful within two months of installation. Also, if you search around GMT900 forums, many people have complained of this same issue and about them wearing out rotors at a much greater pace ... although admittedly I cannot vouch for others' installation and usage methodology.

But based on my own experience, I will never buy Hawk products again. Just my 2c in a thread which solicits as much.
    I have not used their ceramic pads, I need way more stopping power than ceramic pads provide on my corvette's, I use HPS or DTC-60's, in ceramics our shop has really good luck with ebc pads, we have them on about 30 Escalade's including mine

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

do you mind me asking? how many miles now? time for brake change I mean.

mikeg1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    EBC dimpled and slotted rotors with 6000 front pads #DP61830 and 7000 rear pads #DP71830, we have put these on over 2 dozen Escalade's including 3 of mine, with stainless brake lines this is a HUGE improvement over stock in stopping distance, no squeal if you follow the brake bedding instructions which is important, been using these since 2009 and the dimples and slots DO NOT EAT UP BRAKE PADS.
    I used the same setup on my '08. Improvement over stock. Slight "grinding" on hard stops (front). No squeaking at all (in all fairness, just got hearing aids (LOL). The fronts will need new pads soon (50K total miles). Slight warping of the front rotors (only noticeable when braking on long downhill freeway sections). I don't see a reason to get anything else but the 6000 front pads again. Any other suggestions?

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid
    anyway did not want to wait for parts. local caddy dealer quoted me $219.00 total for all 4 wheels. using Oem acdelco shouldn't be bad? works for ms and I ask them not to cut or change rotors. 1200 miles away it doesn't shudder. replaced for the first time at 146k miles!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.