Which oil to use for a oil change on a 2008 Escalade?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Which oil to use for a oil change on a 2008 Escalade? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just bought a 2008 Escalade and was looking around to find the best price for an oil change. Need to ...
    Bengal313 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Black Ravon Utra Luxury Package

Which oil to use for a oil change on a 2008 Escalade?

Just bought a 2008 Escalade and was looking around to find the best price for an oil change. Need to know what kind of oil i should use. There is a dramatic price difference between synthetic and regular. What should be used with this truck? I looked on the cap and it say "SAE 5W-30".

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Which oil to use for a oil change on a 2008 Escalade?

your owners manual will tell the full story but the cliff-notes version is that any "starburst" labeled 5w30 will do
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rich08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT

Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a ac delco pf48 oil filter. You need 6 quarts, Walmart has the best price for oil. The whole thing will run you about 35$ to 40$ I change it my oil every 3k miles
    MrHolland likes this.

From what I understand the cap say to use regular, "SAE 5W-30". But someone told me to use "Dexo". Some sort of semi-synthetic. The truck as 70k. Should I start using synthetic, semi-synthetic or stick with regular? Using these more expensive oil, is it worth it? Should I do it?

there is no reason to use semi syn, full syn or anything more than plain conventional oil

your Oil Life Monitor is calibrated for conventional oil and any better oil that you use will still have way more life left to it than the OLM says it does so you'll basically be wasting money (and precious natural resources) on the better and more expensive oils
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Also I heard that the synthetic oils are thinner and has a better chance of sipping through the gaskets on older cars. Is that true? I guess I will stick to regular and change it religiously every time the warning pops up. TY

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Thats a myth. It's actually not easy to find conventional oil anymore since most of them are partially blended and mixed with synthetics now anyways.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

They come from the factory with full synthetic oils everywhere on the truck, use at least Mobil 1 or better.

Damndirtyape is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

All the boutique oils always compare themselves to Mobil 1 synthetic. So guess what I use. Seems to be the standard, available everywhere, including at wally world where it's (relatively) cheap.

Mines a 2008. I thought it came with regular. There is nothing on the cap to say it's synthetic. I just don't want to spend $70 on a oil change when I can get the regular for $25. What are the benefits of synthetic to justify the cost? I plan on changing the oil on a timely basis.

It came from the factory with conventional oil ... again, read the owner's manual

if you don't have one they are available online in PDF form ... if you can't find it i'll get you a link
    i can even pull up the relevant page for you and post it here if you want

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich08 View Post
    Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a ac delco pf48 oil filter. You need 6 quarts, Walmart has the best price for oil. The whole thing will run you about 35$ to 40$ I change it my oil every 3k miles
    The pf-63 can be used, many on bob is the oil guy say it is preferable due to its larger filter media and slightly larger capacity. It is the same as the pf-48 only about 22mm longer.

plus it's easier to grab ahold of when you're installing and removing it ... we still use the PF48 though

The cap says nothing about synthetic but I pulled up the manual online and on page 5-16

"Your vehicle’s engine is filled at the factory with a
    Mobil 1® synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for
    your vehicle."

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/...esv_owners.pdf

i stand corrected

i thought 2009 was the first year the escalades switched to the Mobil1/GM4718M spec
    apparently it was 2008

just double checked in my parts catalog and recommended fluids page for oil says Mobil1
    and the oil filler cap is a Dexos oil filler cap (the mobil1 advertising/cross-promotion deal ended in 2011 when Dexos came out)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.