2010 AWD towing issues - Need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2010 AWD towing issues - Need help in Cadillac Escalade Forums; We took a trip to the lake a couple of weeks ago & pulled our trailer for a nice relaxing ...
    bobbyjack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2010 AWD towing issues - Need help

We took a trip to the lake a couple of weeks ago & pulled our trailer for a nice relaxing camp/fishing trip. It was sure nice when we arrived, but I was white knuckled the drive to & from. It seemed as though it "road walked" and almost like the front end was "lighter" than the rear. I had to fight it the whole trip. Virtually no cross wind either. Our trailer is a "pull behind" , weighs around 4400 lbs loaded. I have the weight distribution hitch & had tow/haul turned on. The only suggestion in the owners manual was to take before & after measurements from the ground up to the fender well & they were to be very close. I did & they were precise. Could the Air Ride suspension be the issue? It almost seemed like it was fighting the load. I'm beside myself as this Escalade has a 8100 towing cap & my 1/2 ton Chevy P.U. is 7200 & the Chevy never performed this bad. Oh, and I stopped 1/2 way and attached the anti sway bar also. No difference! Any suggestions? Please advise, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

roadog1aj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

Re: 2010 AWD towing issues - Need help

You stated that you have the weight distribution hitch. Does that mean you also have the anti sway bars installed? I have the same type of hitch, and also use the anti sway bars. No swerving or steering issues at all. HUGE difference between pulling my tow behind camper with my '11 EXT, and my '97 Dodge 4x4!! Night and day!! My EXT makes it seem effortless, and almost as if the camper is not connected to the truck. I know it would be a whole different story without the anti sway bars tho.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I have had many of these trucks and towed things around the US and Canada, you really need aftermarket sway bars like Hotchkis as said above, because it was scary without them, wouldn't want to do that again, sway bars are my second mod after window tint.

As stated in the last part of my post "I attached the sway bar". No difference. So I'm still at a loss of explanation or what else to try.

roadog1aj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjack View Post
    As stated in the last part of my post "I attached the sway bar". No difference. So I'm still at a loss of explanation or what else to try.
    Sorry....I missed that part of your post somehow. Your truck should be rock solid then. Might want to have a look at any sway bars on the truck and make sure there are no broken, cracked, or otherwise defective areas that might allow it to do what you describe? That's all I have in my narrow band of experience. Some one else with more experience may be able to throw you some advice too.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

If the front end felt light as if it were higher, your load was too close to the hitch... thats all i can think of

andre_outlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

you might be talking about a different sway bar... HVCONE is talking about the sway bar on the trucks suspension, you might be talking about the sway bar on your towing system.

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by andre_outlaw
    you might be talking about a different sway bar... HVCONE is talking about the sway bar on the trucks suspension, you might be talking about the sway bar on your towing system.
    Exactly, there are the load leveling bars that have the chains and then there is a single anti sway bar, it should have a friction adjustment on it

Never thought about sway bars on the Escalade. I'll look into that, but seems strange that an 80K vehicle that is rated to pull twice my trailers weight would require an aftermarket solution, but... Oh well, ha ha. Now, srgc had mentioned the load weight being too close to the front of the trailer. At first I thought....sure, but I've not changed or rearranged anything in the trailer since pulling it with my 1/2 ton Chevy P.U. & as I mentioned, that truck never had the issue that the Escalade has. So, there goes that theory I guess. BTW, I talked to the Cadillac Service Mgr & he suggested that I turn off the "Stabilatrack" or whatever it's called. Thanks so much for the input!!

andre_outlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

it might be an 80k vehicle.... but it's not worth 80k IMO. they could of done more to make it worth the 80k asking price.

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjack
    Never thought about sway bars on the Escalade. I'll look into that, but seems strange that an 80K vehicle that is rated to pull twice my trailers weight would require an aftermarket solution, but... Oh well, ha ha. Now, srgc had mentioned the load weight being too close to the front of the trailer. At first I thought....sure, but I've not changed or rearranged anything in the trailer since pulling it with my 1/2 ton Chevy P.U. & as I mentioned, that truck never had the issue that the Escalade has. So, there goes that theory I guess. BTW, I talked to the Cadillac Service Mgr & he suggested that I turn off the "Stabilatrack" or whatever it's called. Thanks so much for the input!!
    Imo the stabilitrack shouldn't have anything to do with that, the last thing i wanna do is turn off something that could possibly help avoid an accident

I agree it's not worth the 80K, point is my 25K 1/2 ton is out right a "towing machine" compared to the Escalade. Just too bad I can't haul 5 people in the P.U. with cooled seats when it's 105. har har!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

It just depends on how you want to tow, sure it will tow stock, but it will really tow good if you do a few small things, sure my 2500 HD will tow circles around an Escalade, but kind of sucks on 6 hours drives in the mountains as far as comfort compared to an Escalade.

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

you need to tighten up on the load bars, and tighten down on the anti sway bars. And pump up the tires.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjack View Post
    Hello bobbyjack,

Welcome to the forum! I apologize for any trouble you had while using your trailer. I see you have been interacting with the community and they have offered good insight and advice to your situation. Let me know if you would like to further discuss this or have any other concerns or questions. I can be reached via private message!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.