has anybody done transmission program update?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, has anybody done transmission program update? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Does it help any with the noisey shifts and gear selecting noises. What was the cost associated with it...
    Crijan11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade

has anybody done transmission program update?

Does it help any with the noisey shifts and gear selecting noises. What was the cost associated with it

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RichieRich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Cadillac EXT

Re: has anybody done transmission program update?

I did... It didn't stop the noises... Changing the transfer case did.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Crijan11 View Post
    Does it help any with the noisey shifts and gear selecting noises. What was the cost associated with it
    If you have noise that is another problem, the reprogramming fixed the bang on the downshift, it was mostly for 2007-2008 trucks

Crijan11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade
    I don't mind the noise as much as I hate the clunks on the down shift. Thats the only thing I'd like to get rid of

Maliburider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

I have the same "clunk" problem. I have an 08 EXT and if I am on the highway say 60 mph and step on the gas a little and it downshifts the whole truck like clunks like the engine is to slow for the lower gear change. I would like to take it to the dealer and pay get the transmission software update only. I took it to my local dealer today and they want $120 to diagnose and another $160 for the software update if needed. I want to be able to just get the software update if needed. How do I know for sure that my vehicle would benefit from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Maliburider View Post
    I have the same "clunk" problem. I have an 08 EXT and if I am on the highway say 60 mph and step on the gas a little and it downshifts the whole truck like clunks like the engine is to slow for the lower gear change. I would like to take it to the dealer and pay get the transmission software update only. I took it to my local dealer today and they want $120 to diagnose and another $160 for the software update if needed. I want to be able to just get the software update if needed. How do I know for sure that my vehicle would benefit from it?
    You would need to know what update your truck has compared to what update they are up to, of course you can only get that from the dealership or someone with a Tech II tool, they want too much money, the update would take 15-30 minutes and that includes downloading the latest program from the GM computer, do you have any other dealerships in your area, you may want to find one that does not want to take all your money.

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

I figure my software is probably out of date however since i'm not getting any banging noises unless I tap on the gas from slowing down at low speeds I get a clunk from the transfer case it sounds like, I figure I won't change anything or update the software since it could create some issues I didn't have before. I learned many times if it's not broke don't try and fix it because it just creates more problems, expensive problems.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello Maliburider,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle and may need a Transmission program update. Can we be of any assistance?

Jennifer T. (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

hollingass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 ESV ultra luxury
    I think it is wrong for any dealer to charge for these updates, the fact that there is an update says the original programming is not acceptable. I have these same symptoms but if its going to cost me hundreds to fix it i will consider another brand next time

mycaddi408 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade Lux Edition

this is why they call the dealer the "stealer"

Quote Originally Posted by hollingass View Post
    I think it is wrong for any dealer to charge for these updates, the fact that there is an update says the original programming is not acceptable. I have these same symptoms but if its going to cost me hundreds to fix it i will consider another brand next time
    Any manufacturer is going to charge you for this no matter what brand of auto you purchase, most dealerships will do this if you tell them you are not buying their used truck without this service performed, and you can also get them to print you out all the service performed on that car/truck before you buy it, these are all tools you can use to make sure you are getting the most up to date info in your new purchase.

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

I was able to fix the clunking problem by changing the u joints

Maliburider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

Assuming my 2008 has original transmission programming, is it worth spending the $160 to get the update? I don't mind paying for it if its a known fix or TSB etc that would help me. Granted I know there could be something else wrong like u-joints or transfer case. But assuming all the parts on the truck are good, then would it be worth it to just take it to Cadillac and just say "do the update"?

Assuming my 2008 has original transmission programming, is it worth spending the $160 to get the update? I don't mind paying for it if its a known fix or TSB etc that would help me. Granted I know there could be something else wrong like u-joints or transfer case. But assuming all the parts on the truck are good, then would it be worth it to just take it to Cadillac and just say "do the update"?
    Only if you have the banging when the truck downshifts when you come to a stop, that is what it fixed in 2007-2008, there maybe other updates that will make your trans perform better as well, but that is just a guess without driving your truck and knowing what updates it has had done to it.

wwceaton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade base

Hear is another TSB for your SUV

•A/T Controls - Hesitation/Lack of Performance

Bulletin No.: 07-07-30-030

Date: November 21, 2007

TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    6L80 Automatic Transmission - Hesitation, Lack of Performance, Difficult to Obtain Downshifts (Reprogram TCM)
    Models:
    2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2008 GMC Sierra Denali, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

with 6L80 Automatic Transmission (RPO MYC)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle has a hesitation or lack of performance when attempting to accelerate with moderate throttle apply in the 56-113 km/h (35-70 mph) range. They may also comment that it is difficult to obtain transmission downshifts in the same 56-113 km/h (35-70 mph) range.

Correction

A revised transmission calibration has been developed to address these issues. Reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS) application. As always, make sure your Tech 2(R) is updated with the latest software version.

These calibrations will be "selectable" and should only be used to correct a customer concern as detailed above. Use of this calibration in a vehicle without these concerns may result in comments of busy shifting.

Warranty Information

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.