Remote Start + Delayed Ignition
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Remote Start + Delayed Ignition in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I am still working through a few quirks in my new to me 2007 ESV. The remote start would not ...
    vhariable is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV

Remote Start + Delayed Ignition

I am still working through a few quirks in my new to me 2007 ESV. The remote start would not work when I first purchased the ESV and it returned a P0442 code. At first it wasn't even displaying the check engine light during normal operation, just when I actually tried to do the remote start would the check engine light come on and then go off once I next manually started the ESV. So I replaced the fuel cap, the valve assembly in the engine compartment, and then the entire evaporative emission canister ventilator assembly. After I changed the evap assembly I cleared the codes and the remote start worked for the first time. I thought all was well! A few days later I tried the remote start and now it behaves like it did before where I here a click in the engine compartment (sounds like the passenger side area), but then the check engine light comes on and that is it. I checked for codes, but no codes this time.

The other thing that has been happening since day one is that if I hop in, put the key in, and then turn the key to the start position, there is a 1-3 second delay before it actually starts to turn over. I'm now wondering if these two issues could now be related. Is this normal? I'm about to check the battery next.

I would really appreciate any information!

Thank you,

Todd

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Remote Start + Delayed Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by vhariable View Post
    I am still working through a few quirks in my new to me 2007 ESV. The remote start would not work when I first purchased the ESV and it returned a P0442 code. At first it wasn't even displaying the check engine light during normal operation, just when I actually tried to do the remote start would the check engine light come on and then go off once I next manually started the ESV. So I replaced the fuel cap, the valve assembly in the engine compartment, and then the entire evaporative emission canister ventilator assembly. After I changed the evap assembly I cleared the codes and the remote start worked for the first time. I thought all was well! A few days later I tried the remote start and now it behaves like it did before where I here a click in the engine compartment (sounds like the passenger side area), but then the check engine light comes on and that is it. I checked for codes, but no codes this time.

The other thing that has been happening since day one is that if I hop in, put the key in, and then turn the key to the start position, there is a 1-3 second delay before it actually starts to turn over. I'm now wondering if these two issues could now be related. Is this normal? I'm about to check the battery next.

I would really appreciate any information!

Thank you,

Todd
    Hello Todd,

Welcome to the forum! I hope you are enjoying your Escalade ESV minus the few quirks you seem to be experiencing. I understand how vehicle issues can be frustrating. If you are thinking about bringing your vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message so I can continue to work with you throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I had several 2007 escalade's, from time to time when you would turn the key there would be maybe a second delay, not longer, have not had that issue on my other escalade's. It's been a while but I seem to remember some issues with the rubber vent line, right next to the fuel fill line, some were kinked causing a error code, but most happened when the truck was new

I'll check out the vent line, thanks for the info. The delay is frustrating as it feels like it is not going to turn over. I checked out the battery and it read 12.26v. It hasn't been sitting log periods of time without use and the battery is a fairly new ACDelco (< 6 months old). Time to look further, but will probably be installing a new Die Hard Platinum as I have read too many forum threads about issues related to the ACDelco batteries. Might still be a drain when it is off.

I'll check out the vent line, thanks for the info. The delay is frustrating as it feels like it is not going to turn over. I checked out the battery and it read 12.26v. It hasn't been sitting log periods of time without use and the battery is a fairly new ACDelco (< 6 months old). Time to look further, but will probably be installing a new Die Hard Platinum as I have read too many forum threads about issues related to the ACDelco batteries. Might still be a drain when it is off.
    I have had my share of problems with delco batteries, I would change that, it maybe some of your issues.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    At least pull the negative cable for a couple hours to reset the computer.

Okay, so a bit of an update. I bought a Die Hard Platinum 34/78DT to replace a fairly new looking ACDelco 48PS. I have only had this ESV for about 1.5 months. If anyone is interested the Die Hard Platinum 34/78DT fits perfect. The positive and negative cables don't fit as nicely as the OEM type battery, but don't require any modification.

So, first test was to crank up the vehicle to see if there was the annoying delay that was happening every time (1-3 seconds). There was NO delay and it started up immediately when I turned the key without any hesitation and fired up strong.

Then I hopped out, pressed the key fob lock button twice fast (the old battery had been out of the ESV for about an hour or so), and then pressed the remote start button. The lights flash, and then I hear a click in the engine compartment, but it doesn't ever even try to turn over more than the sound of that single click. The check engine light is on, but goes off as soon as you turn the key to the on/off position. I used my code reader (Actron CP9575) to see if there were any codes, and there are 0 codes. It is really odd that the check engine light comes on, but no codes?

When I installed the new evap valve assembly I just hung the top filter almost exactly where the old one had been. So strange that it worked the first time after installing the evap valve assembly and resetting the codes with my tool, but since then no go and the same old annoying behavior. I haven't checked the vent line yet, but will later. I assume you are talking about the line that is part of the evap valve assembly I just replaced. I strapped it up to the other hoses as the old one was up towards the gas cap area. Maybe it moved though and wasn't properly fastened.

I am monitoring the battery volts now and will over night to see if there is any drain on the battery. If no drain then I might have the alternator tested for good measure. Maybe it was just a bad battery that wasn't properly holding a charge, but that would be too easy. This new battery is excellent and hopefully will perform as others have reported.

Does anyone know what the expected draw is on the battery and all of the timings of when things sleep/wake up? So far I have observed the following with doors locked (double fob lock press).

- Draws 3.94 for the first ~1.5 minutes.
    - Then draws 0.25 for the next ~13.5 minutes.
    - Then draws 0.07-0.08 (haven't seen an end to this even after 30 minutes from the start of the test).

I've read on a TSB that the dual zone HVAC controls can stay on 4.5 hours. I'm not doing a completely true test in that I didn't install the recommended tester and drive the vehicle, but instead unplugged the battery and then inserted the meter so this might all still be within reason. I also have no clue if the BCM has been reflashed as it looks like there is a TSB on that. Maybe a higher that .05 draw is "normal" on these vehicles or why so many people just install a second battery?

Does anyone know what the expected draw is on the battery and all of the timings of when things sleep/wake up? So far I have observed the following with doors locked (double fob lock press).

- Draws 3.94 for the first ~1.5 minutes.
    - Then draws 0.25 for the next ~13.5 minutes.
    - Then draws 0.07-0.08 (haven't seen an end to this even after 30 minutes from the start of the test).

I've read on a TSB that the dual zone HVAC controls can stay on 4.5 hours. I'm not doing a completely true test in that I didn't install the recommended tester and drive the vehicle, but instead unplugged the battery and then inserted the meter so this might all still be within reason. I also have no clue if the BCM has been reflashed as it looks like there is a TSB on that. Maybe a higher that .05 draw is "normal" on these vehicles or why so many people just install a second battery?
    I started the dual battery thing in 96' when I saw a police Tahoe with the hood open, we spend more than half the year in upstate NY, and we are about 7 miles from the nearest neighbor, so your truck needs to start because you are on your own, about 3 weeks after getting my first 2007 escalade I was doing some work with the radio on for about an hour, the battery was stone dead, called the dealership and they said "you need the new battery rundown program installed" so I went and they down loaded it and said "It will not happen again" yea I week later the same thing, and the same dead battery. Went to the local Chevy dealer and got the part numbers and ordered the cables. I have put this in all 12 escalade's and never had another battery issue

Yeah, I am starting to think that would be the safer and less expensive route to go and just add another battery. Just annoying that there is less information available about how these systems should draw when off. I'll just throw my Battery Tender Plus on it when I have it parked in my garage for extended periods of time, until I find a solution or decide to go the 2nd battery route.

Yeah, I am starting to think that would be the safer and less expensive route to go and just add another battery. Just annoying that there is less information available about how these systems should draw when off. I'll just throw my Battery Tender Plus on it when I have it parked in my garage for extended periods of time, until I find a solution or decide to go the 2nd battery route.
    That will work too. We keep an escalade in the garage upstate and sometimes it does not get started for 2-4 weeks, it always has started.

The Die Hard Platinum 34/78DT has been performing like a champ. I am not pretty sure the delay start doesn't have to do with a low battery, but is related to the P0442 issue. I have replaced the following parts.

+ ACDelco 20995472 Evaporative Emission Canister Ventilator Assembly
    + ACDelco 19257603 Evaporative Emission Canister Valve Solenoid Jumper Wiring Harness Assembly
    + ACDelco GT330 Fuel Tank Cap
    + ACDelco 214-1680 Valve Assembly

After replacing all of those I have been able to remote start exactly 1 time after clearing the P0442 issue. When I put my key into the ignition and turn it to on (not start) the check engine light shows, regardless of if it shows when you turn the key to the start position. This might be normal? If I try to turn the key from off to start there is a delay and it is different amounts of time. However, if I first turn the key to the on position, let it sit for a second, and then turn to the start position it fires up.

I almost always have a P0442 (not confirmed) code in the system (no check engine light), and then after a 2-3 weeks the check engine light will come on with exactly two P0442 codes (one not confirmed and one confirmed).

Any ideas why the P0442 is sticking around. I have filled up the gas tank 4-5 times since doing these repairs and each time I turn the gas cap 4-5 full rotations. Seems like it should be an easy fix, just not sure what other parts need to be replaced/checked?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.