Cynlinder de-activation.... is it programmed?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Cynlinder de-activation.... is it programmed? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just wanted to touch base and see how the cylinder de-activation works in our Esky compared to others. Used to ...
    sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

Cynlinder de-activation.... is it programmed?

Just wanted to touch base and see how the cylinder de-activation works in our Esky compared to others. Used to drive a couple other vehicles that had cylinder de-ac and noticed on the esky it doesnt like to go into 4 all that much... when crusing, a very slight incline/long range hill (over pass ona road etc) it goes back into V8, rather than just staying in V4. Im not punching the gas or anything, just cruise control on. ANyone else notice it rarely goes in toV4? Should it go int V4 more than it does.. not too sure, so thats why i am looking at how it works for tohers and if its a programming change that could possible be done etc.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Cynlinder de-activation.... is it programmed?

I have done a lot of work with this feature in aftermarket tuning, I can get the 4 cylinder mode to come in at 40 mph and last up to 72 mph, this has increased my fuel mileage by 4-5 mpg on the highway, the biggest problem is keeping it in the 4 cylinder mode, because this requires a very light push on the pedal, I usually use cruise control for the 1 mph jump, it takes a flat road because these shoe boxes are tough to punch thru the air.

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

I just made a 3500 mile trip to Texas from North Carolina and back. On the way I was pulling a trailer so I wouldn't expect it to go into 4 cyl. mode but on the way back I never noticed it either. Can you tell when it goes in and out of the fuel saver mode?

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

Physically i dont feel the change.. so a plus on that.. but if you scroll through your guage settings its in there... shows V4 or V8 mode and instantaneous mileage.

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sdgc View Post
    Physically i dont feel the change.. so a plus on that.. but if you scroll through your guage settings its in there... shows V4 or V8 mode and instantaneous mileage.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check the DIC.

Yes that is the key, you need that screen because you really can not tell any other way when you get in the 4 cylinder mode, try your cruise control because you can do 1 mph at a time and keep it in the 4 cylinder mode, you still need fairly flat roads

roadog1aj is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

I have to say....I'm impressed with how seamlessly the 4-8 mode works. It's a huge leap for GM if you recall the 4-6-8 fiasco they introduced back in the early 80's. We had two caddys that had that "technology". Egads!!! At least it was easy to circumvent with a simple jumper wire! I think it was such a disaster that it took this long for GM to stick their foot in the ring again. I'm sure there are other car makers that use this type of technology on their engines, so it's not new for the times, but it is a big leap for GM to introduce it again,and make it work as well as it does. You do have to have the 4-8 & instant mileage showing on the DIC in order to even see it in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by roadog1aj View Post
    I have to say....I'm impressed with how seamlessly the 4-8 mode works. It's a huge leap for GM if you recall the 4-6-8 fiasco they introduced back in the early 80's. We had two caddys that had that "technology". Egads!!! At least it was easy to circumvent with a simple jumper wire! I think it was such a disaster that it took this long for GM to stick their foot in the ring again. I'm sure there are other car makers that use this type of technology on their engines, so it's not new for the times, but it is a big leap for GM to introduce it again,and make it work as well as it does. You do have to have the 4-8 & instant mileage showing on the DIC in order to even see it in operation.
    Yea had an old Seville with that 4-6-8 and it sucked big time, nothing like that crap anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.