Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to Play Front DVD thru Back DVD screens

33K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  CajunSaint 
#1 ·
Hi all! I'm a relatively new Escalade owner and there are lots of things to learn!! My husband and I have tried literally everything we can think of to get the headrest DVD players to show what is inserted into the main, front DVD player. Nothing works. Seems like an obvious thing for it to do, easily, but nothing does it. We want to be able to put a DVD in up front, have it play on the back two screens, while having the sound playing throughout the car. Any help or advice on this? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
You can only play the DVD movies from the radio if you have the ceiling tvs not DVD headrests. The DVD headrest has its own separate DVD players and you cant put a DVD in the changer and watch on the DVD headrest. I wanted to do a modification to use the AV out from the head unit to the DVD headrests but there is no AV inputs in the HUB that comes with the DVD headrests. If you have after market and can find a AV input in the wiring you can wire it easily buying the multimedia kit from oemautopartsco.com for 50$. This comes with AV in and out and the out can be use to play the DVDs in the changer to the headrests. If you have original monitors your out of luck.

#5 ·
It is definitely possible but as spyshops said it depends on the headrests. I'm a new 2012 Escalade Luxury w/o Rear Seat Ent owner and researched for a few weeks to find the specific instructions on how to do this without much luck.
Kids wanted dvd in the rear so I decided to give this a try and asked my local car audio shop if this was possible and after a little research this is what we decided on; PAC GMRVD2 (GMRVD for up to 2011) to output the A/V from the SuperNav, NavTV Barracuda to be able to control while driving and Vizualogic A1260CL DVD headrests (had to special order the control box with the aux input). After install the system did not output the signal to the rear since it didn't have the factory RSE option.
The service dept at my Caddy dealer said it wasn't possible and didn't want to touch it. I brought it to the local Chevy dealer and the service writer had experience doing the same thing and was able to flash the SuperNav w/ the Tech2 and turn on the RSE for $90.
I've got about $2K invested but everything is working as it should and kids are happy.

#6 ·
Hello markbiv,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you part of the Cadillac community on here. I am glad you were able to find a local dealer that had experience with this. I see you were able to have the rear system installed and that it is working properly which makes your children happy. Continue to enjoy your Escalade! If any other concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
I just bought a 2011 Escalade ESV Platinum with 2 overhead flip down monitors and 2 headrest DVD/Monitors.

I JUST DISCOVERED A WAY TO GET ALL 4 MONITORS TO DISPLAY THE SAME DVD AND SOUND THROUGH THE HEAD UNIT.

Here's what you do:

First, go to Best Buy or whatever and buy a $8 stereo to audio cable. It looks like a headphone jack on one end and has the white and red audio/video cable on the other end.

You plug the headphone jack side into the (audio/video out hole) on the DVD headrest monitor located behind the Driver's seat; then plug the RED plug into the (RED rear aux input); then plug the WHITE plug into the (YELLOW rear aux input)- both are located on the floor console in between the driver & passenger seat.

Go ahead and start playing the DVD on the headrest monitor; now go to the passenger headrest DVD player and power it on and choose the source that allows the picture to be displayed from the other headrest monitor. At this point, you should have 2 monitors playing the same video and no sound.

Now go to the head unit in the front seat. Go to the "DISPLAY" tab; now touch the tab "REAR DISPLAYS" located 3-4 items down; now change it from "DVD" to "REAR AUX" for both rear monitors. You can also chose "IPOD" as an option. Don't do that. Chose "REAR AUX" for flip down 1 & 2. Now touch back.

Finally, go to the main page on the headunit that has "AM" "FM" "DVD"....and "AUX". Touch "AUX" and
Crank it up.

You've got 4 monitors playing the same movie AND sound through the head unit.

NOW the trick is you have to use the DVD player on the Driver's side head rest.

Also, you can pick "DVD" on the rear overhead monitor 2 instead of "REAR AUX" to allow a person in the 3rd row to watch a DVD from the head unit and sound through the head phones.

Cheers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.