clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st in Cadillac Escalade Forums; My wife and I have just purchanced our 1st american vehicle(coming from a line if bmws)a 2008 Cadillac Escalade and ...
    Crijan11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade

Unhappy clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st

My wife and I have just purchanced our 1st american vehicle(coming from a line if bmws)a 2008 Cadillac Escalade and its fantastic. We love the space and the ride is absolutely wonderful. This weekend driving it I noticed a clunk in the transmission as it down shifts from 2nd to 1st. It also clunks when I put it into gear from park or any sort of gear selection. After hearing this I went and did a transmission fluid change as the vehicle has just under 80k this did not help much. Driving thru the gears its still smooth and no noises at all. I'm a little worried as I just picked the vehicle up last week and a transmission repair is definatley not on the agenda. Is this normal noise in a GM or signs of bad things to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Crijan11 View Post
    My wife and I have just purchanced our 1st american vehicle(coming from a line if bmws)a 2008 Cadillac Escalade and its fantastic. We love the space and the ride is absolutely wonderful. This weekend driving it I noticed a clunk in the transmission as it down shifts from 2nd to 1st. It also clunks when I put it into gear from park or any sort of gear selection. After hearing this I went and did a transmission fluid change as the vehicle has just under 80k this did not help much. Driving thru the gears its still smooth and no noises at all. I'm a little worried as I just picked the vehicle up last week and a transmission repair is definatley not on the agenda. Is this normal noise in a GM or signs of bad things to come.
    Hello Crijan11,

Welcome to the Cadillac family! I am glad to hear you and your wife are enjoying the space and ride of the Escalade I am sorry you are experiencing a clunking noise. Have you thought about taking the vehicle back to the dealership for a possible diagnosis?

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I called in today to tell the sales rep that sold us the vehicle and he said he never heard the car make any sound like that. He claimed he drove the car on my occasions for personnel use. The dealership is about 2 hours away so if I can avoid a trip up I would but I definatley have a option to go back if need be. He said that gms are usually noise when selecting gears, I don't know maybe I'm used to our x5 it was pretty quiet. I've read on other forums about flashing the transmission or even maybe a motor mount being broken can cause a sorts of clunks or thuds??

Rich08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT

My ext does on the the way up 2 to 3, I took it to the dealer a couple months back and nothing was found. I started using my ext as my daily driver and found a sweet spot in the RPMs to get rid of the clunk or hop. It seems like it happens less and less everyday.

RichieRich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Cadillac EXT

It's the transfer case. I have had to put 2 in my Escalade. I also have 235,000 miles. The transmissions are bullet proof according to a few trans shops in my area. There is absolutely positively no doubt that it is the transfer case. A rebuilt case with a 3 year warrant cost me $1300 from a company called LKQ, they are out of North Jersey. That price is just for the part. I'd say installed you are looking between $2000-$2500.

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

I also have a 08 esky and I have the exact same problem it drives me nuts to the point I was going to sell the car it takes all the pleasure of driving away. And I refuse to pay 5 grand for two transfer cases I have only had the car for less than 3 months

----------

I now have 115000km on the odometer I got it with 107000km

Ran-Dom32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

I thought this was caused by a broken motor mount?? I've noticed mine does it once an a while, really disappointing for a truck that is so expensive new.. maybe that's why the depreciate so fast

Oh man that's not the answers I was hoping to hear. Thats a little dissapointing on Cadillac behalf, having these kinda of issues before 150k. The should have spent some more time at the drawing board. I'm going to contact the dealer I bought it from, I'm not dealing with this kinda headache already.
    hannity likes this.

Caddy2489 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

This seems to be a problem a ton of escalade owners have had they have a TSB out that could not describe the problem that we are having anymore clearer TSB #09-07-30-004B it looks like some fluid seal rings need to be changed ... problem im having now is because the truck isn't showing an error code they said everything is ok clearley it is not what can we do?

I'm going to look into it. How can they not acknowledge there is an issue it sounds like a freakin tank while driving it down the street clunking at every stop .

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

I'm going to look into it. How can they not acknowledge there is an issue it sounds like a freakin tank while driving it down the street clunking at every stop .
    I know the feeling.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Welcome to the forum. I have had 12 Escalade's, what you are hearing/feeling is not normal. How many miles? Did you have it checked by a pro before your purchase? Did you buy it from a dealer?

Well the truck now has just under 70k on it and yes we did get it from a dealer. He had atleast 10 escalades on the lot. I did not unfortunately bring a pr o to look at it as the dealership looked leggit and he was selling a lot of high end vehicles hummers caddys land rovers . I called them and they said to bring it in they'll take care of it. " we keep our customers happy" he said over the phone so I'm go just in tomorrow morning . I hope for the best

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Well the truck now has just under 70k on it and yes we did get it from a dealer. He had atleast 10 escalades on the lot. I did not unfortunately bring a pr o to look at it as the dealership looked leggit and he was selling a lot of high end vehicles hummers caddys land rovers . I called them and they said to bring it in they'll take care of it. " we keep our customers happy" he said over the phone so I'm go just in tomorrow morning . I hope for the best
    Hello Crijan11,

I apologize it is an inconvenience to take your vehicle into the dealership since they are 2 hours away from you, but I’m happy to hear that they are going to take a look at it. Did you get a chance to take your vehicle in today? What did the dealership say about the noise? Thank you for keeping us updated on the situation. We will be looking for your future updates as well.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

I can't take it anymore I'm calling my warranty Monday ams if they don't pay to Fix it I'm selling the truck this clunk sound is definitely not something I'm willing to live with that's for sure. .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.