clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Mr.SWAG I can't take it anymore I'm calling my warranty Monday ams if they don't pay to ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: clunking noise when transmission downshifts from 2nd to 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SWAG View Post
    I can't take it anymore I'm calling my warranty Monday ams if they don't pay to Fix it I'm selling the truck this clunk sound is definitely not something I'm willing to live with that's for sure. .
    Hello MR.SWAG,

I apologize you are experiencing the same clunking noise in your Escalade. I believe that MTL is referring to Montreal in your location. Have you reached out to our Canadian team regarding this issue? Here is their number if you would like it: 800-263-3777. Please continue to keep us updated on your situation. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Crijan11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade
    Idid go in today and what he told was that this is a fairly common thing amongst escalades and he thinks that our first step be to take it into the dealer and get the tranny flashed or some sort of update that can be don't so I will try that early next week. In the mean time I'm going to get all the fluids changed in the diffs and transfer cases and see if that also helps.I think I'm do for that kind of maintenance any how.

Quote Originally Posted by Crijan11 View Post
    Idid go in today and what he told was that this is a fairly common thing amongst escalades and he thinks that our first step be to take it into the dealer and get the tranny flashed or some sort of update that can be don't so I will try that early next week. In the mean time I'm going to get all the fluids changed in the diffs and transfer cases and see if that also helps.I think I'm do for that kind of maintenance any how.
    Hello Crijan11,

Thank you for keeping Gregory and I posted on your current situation. I see you are going to perform some maintenance to your vehicle. Let us know how everything goes. We can also be contacted via private message to further discuss any concerns or issues and to continue our interaction with each other.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

Im bringing mine in tomorrow anyhow my warranty does not cover this problem I will sell the car.. there is no way im willing to pay 5 grand to fix a suv that I have had for less than two months

Update... after bringing my car in yesterday they told me my U joint needs to be changed ams this is why I'm being the clanking soundand shifts hard has anyone done this repair? And Did it help?

I have an appointement on monday at the cadillac dealership and they are going to do a drivetrain inspection so they can hopefully address the problem. Ill keep you posted on the verdict

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

I have an appointement on monday at the cadillac dealership and they are going to do a drivetrain inspection so they can hopefully address the problem. Ill keep you posted on the verdict
    Good luck

Goldwing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007-EXT

Well Cadillac EXT seem to have this problem and my 2007 has always had this, my truck has 132K on now and still has this. I have always waited for a big Bang and this would be it, but never happened. I even tried driving a new pick-up off the lot and still felt it.
    Well a couple of months ago we bought a 30' travel trailer and I took truck into a corner garage and had all fluids changed . The difference in shifting and clunking noise is very minimal now that I hardly feel it and have put on 3K since change over. The treatment was BG oil!! Yes the cost was $625.00 and well worth it!! This proves that you can buy a luxury vehicle and the manufacture uses low grade fluids just to get it out of the door.
    look up - http://www.bgprod.com/company.html
    I am really pleased with product!
    Now looking up replacing front rotors and pads for towing
    hannity likes this.

Soo today I had the car in at the cadillac dealership and had a diagnostic done on the transmission. There are no codes no errors or glitches with it. They test drive the vehicle and said that it was only occasional that they heard it and that it was very minor. They stated that because of the 6 speed transmission and being awd is the reason I could be possibly hearing "some" noise. So long story short no issue. I'm confused either I have a good sence of hearing or the tech is partially deaf. I ended up changing all the fluids in the diffs and transfer cases and it didn't do anything to help the clunking. I am planning to follow up with the dealership as I did see a note that said possible transmission program update. Has anybody had this update done? What where the results after

Soo today I had the car in at the cadillac dealership and had a diagnostic done on the transmission. There are no codes no errors or glitches with it. They test drive the vehicle and said that it was only occasional that they heard it and that it was very minor. They stated that because of the 6 speed transmission and being awd is the reason I could be possibly hearing "some" noise. So long story short no issue. I'm confused either I have a good sence of hearing or the tech is partially deaf. I ended up changing all the fluids in the diffs and transfer cases and it didn't do anything to help the clunking. I am planning to follow up with the dealership as I did see a note that said possible transmission program update. Has anybody had this update done? What where the results after
    Crijan11,

Your update is highly appreciated! Feel free to keep us up-to-date on this concern and don't hesitate to message us privately if you need further assistance.

William R. (assisting Greg & Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

ddivinia is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Our 2008 esv awd had a very similar sounding issue. Th transmission got reprogrammed, serviced, etc. none of that fixed it.

It was a broken motor mount.

D.

Check your ujoints
    lousy_investor likes this.

Suicidalbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV
    Motor mount is very easy to diagnose in your driveway. It takes two people : first person depresses brake firmly and puts escalade in gear. Keeping brake firmly depressed, first person presses throttle gently. Second person watches the engine where it attaches to motor mount (from the driver side of the truck, not the front!). If the mount is broken the engine will raise off the mount. To check passenger side mount, repeat process while trans in reverse.

lousy_investor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.SWAG View Post
    Check your ujoints
    I had the exact same issue a year or so ago and it was the u joints in my case. They replaced some parts and the shifting was smooth as silk. It seems to have come back though as I am starting to feel/hear that again... whoops! Hope that's not the case.

There are more than one ujoint have them all checked

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.