2013 Escalade - Experiencing poor build quality
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2013 Escalade - Experiencing poor build quality in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I love my escalade, but should I keep ignoring the poor build quality?! I ordered my Escalade in December 2012 ...
    Singh G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade
    I love my escalade, but should I keep ignoring the poor build quality?!

I ordered my Escalade in December 2012 and I picked it up toward end of Feb 2013. It had 2 miles on the clock when it arrived to the dealer for delivery.

The first thing that caught my eye was peeling chrome trim on the passenger side. I pointed it out and dealer was nice about it as expected. The service rep jotted it down and ordered me a new piece. I took delivery of the vehicle and we get ready to drive off. As my wife closes her door, the triangle pastic trim on the inside of the mirror falls off on the dashboard. I step back out and get the service rep again. He tells me that probably the mirror was loose during assembly at the plant and they had to hand tighten it. The plastic trim was probably loose from that. Well, he gets one of the techs to put it back in place. The tech tried it a couple of times and said the clip was bent and he needed to order a new one. So they order the chrome trim and plastic trim at the same time. Wife and I finally get home.

The Escalade is our third vehicle and sees driving time usually on weekends when wife and I are both off. Two days later, we get ready to drive the escalade to dinner, and she spots a scratch on the chrome trim piece on the gate. I swear I must be blind to the blemishes because I was so excited about the actual truck. Well, I call my sales guy and he tells me that they cannot do anything about that because it is not a manufacturer defect. I expected that answer, but I thought Id give it shot. I have no idea when it happened and I seriously doubt someone maliciously scratched just the chrome piece and nothing else. A few days later, all the trim arrived, and they replaced it.

About a month ago, I noted gaps in the rear bumper as it attaches to the body. The bumper was lined up on the outside, I just figured maybe thats how it mounts. You cannot see it when the gate is closed, but when the gate is open, it is still unappealing for a 70k vehicle.

Yesterday, again my wife, noted a big gap on the interior trim. Should I just have my wife close her eyes when driving in the escalade?

I will be contacting my dealer about this tomorrow, because today is a Sunday. Sorry for the long rant, anyway no thread is complete without pics.

problem with the rear bumper

problem with the interior trim

mirror trim that fell off

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rich08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT

Re: 2013 Escalade - Experiencing poor build quality

That sucks. A 70k plus truck shouldn't have those problems fresh out the lot especially new.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

All brands have have issues with fit and finish. Just because you spend a little more money doesnt mean you'll have any fewer issues, but rather more expensive issues. We are all human and prone to mistakes. Not to be insensitive to your plight, but just as there may have been some mistakes made during the assembly process, there may have been some mistakes made during the process of taking possession of your new car. My brand new Escalade arrived with peeling chrome and window molding issues but my dealer made it right. Good customer service is all you can hope for. Congrats on your new car and good luck. I hope everyone can enjoy their Escalade at least half as much as I have enjoyed mine.

----To those that will say "this is unacceptable for a car that costs this much" at what price are these issues acceptable?? Those who are able to only afford a car in the that price range would probably disagree.
    DATDAMNGOOD likes this.

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

I have the exact same problem with my interior trim like in the second picture, anyone know how to fix it?

People make mistakes, that's fine, they should also correct mistakes. That is what truly makes people human. I do expect my dealer to make it right.

So, does your rear bumper look like that as I posted above?

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

If mine does look like that I have not noticed it. And, I wouldn't be happy either.

gdirty5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

For those saying that people make mistakes etc and there's always trim issues etc, I drive a 2010 and my sister drives a 2009 gl550 Mercedes and many family members with Porsches, Mercedes and Lexus' and they are all better put together, with higher quality materials and smaller panel gaps than my escalade. The gl550 is an all around better car, and if I would have known that when I was shopping for a new car, I would have came home with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post
    All brands have have issues with fit and finish.

----To those that will say "this is unacceptable for a car that costs this much" at what price are you these issues acceptable?? Those who are able to only afford a car in the that price range would probably disagree.
    I would be ok with all of these issues had they occurred in my '12 Nissan Altima. It will be 2 years in September. Have not had any problem with fit and finish. I almost want to keep it after the lease is up because it has held up so well.

I'm curious to see if others are having similar build quality issues. I have higher standard for Cadillac because Cadillac is a premier brand.
    jlt1699 likes this.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

My rear bumper looks exactly the same.

The rubber around my left rear door wasn't quite as bad as yours, but similar.

Just checked and the same front door trim piece is loose on mine, doesn't feel like it is loose enough to fall off anytime soon.

Otherwise, everything is put together very well. Compared to competitors, I find the build quality is fine its just the cheapness of the materials used that irks me. But then I remind myself that this is a Chevy truck with Cadillac badges. Does that excuse any of these away? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

These few complaints aside, mechanically the truck has been bulletproof. In 2 years I've had the usual oil changes and tire rotations. (But then I only have a 3 year lease.)

Having experienced the new ATS, XTS, and CTS, I have every expectation Cadillac has rectified these in the new Escalade.

777flyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Platinum

I ordered my 2013 ESV Platinum in Nov, 2012

Took delivery on March 8, 2013.

Absolutely love the truck, but issues (all fixed by the dealer )

1. The drivers seat cover was COMPLETELY replaced, due to it coming apart at the stitches.
    2. Console cover would not close, defective locking mechanism replaced.
    3. Annoying, and I mean annoying squeak in instrument cluster....fixed by adding padding and reseating.

As I said, all items quickly repaired/replaced, but I am somewhat disappointed that these types of things happen on a luxury SUV.

S

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

All I have really had (and still) is the glove box looks crooked, and i adjusted to the max to fix, but it looks like thats how it fits. Secondly, the gaps around the front hood were adjusted and fixed. and 3, the lights at the back dont have the same gap spacing around them (I have super duper OCD and notice these small things).. otherwise, best driving vehicle I have EVER had. Hands down. But i do agree that it comes down to the dealer to provide the help. I just took apart and re-adjusted myself (except that freakin glove box...!!!)

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

SG everything you mention is pretty standard stuff on these trucks, and most of it is easily rectified. Some other minor stuff will manifest soon, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. I'll give you a hint ... the chrome trim on the outside door sills won't line up tween the front and back doors forever. And if your steering wheel points to 12 0'clock and your center console doesn't creak when you put weight on it, you sir are blessed by the gods. Every vehicle out there has these little issues, and on the whole, these are solid vehicles, especially in the engine and drivetrain where it really counts ... plus you own a beast of a vehicle that can easily take on the Zombie apocalypse in style.

Except for that bumper, that'd really piss me off if it were like this on a new vehicle I purchased, be it an Esky or a Chevy Spark. If it wasn't a new vehicle I'd tell you to check the rear end of the truck for hidden collision damage. I've owned two Eskys, a Denali, and a Tahoe, two of which had that bumper from factory and the Tahoe on which I installed one myself, and none of them had this issue. Make them make it right with a new bumper.

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

there are gaps and the fix can just be a double sided moulding tape.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Cost has nothing to do with it, it's design and materials.

As far as fit, finish, and durability goes, the interior of both my '91 Accord, and '94 Vigor (~$18K and $30K new, respectively), as well as 5 or 6 other fairly old imports that have been in my family over the past couple of decades (other than a crappy 626), have not had any of the trim problems that I read about on here, or have experienced on my own Cadillacs.

Nothing has ever fallen off, sagged, shrunk, peeled, lifted, or delaminated. Nor has anything ever broken while removing/disassembling it. I have never removed a part, looked at it, and thought to myself that it looked easily broken, or that it could have been slightly better with minimal effort.

Never had one rattle in the Accord (150K+ miles), to this day have no rattles in the Vigor (82K miles). Just as an example, the '01 Seville has front headrests and seatbelt covers that click and creak when touched. Nothing wrong with them, that's just how they are, the same in every one I've been in. With inflation, the selling price of this car today would be just over $80K!!!

It doesn't bother me too much with my car, but I bought it used. If I had paid for it new, I'd be pretty ticked off.

Ghost Deany is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS

I have this same thing in my 07, i pull the panel in to get rid of the gap and then a few months later it comes back out.
    Singh G likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.