2013 Escalade - Experiencing poor build quality - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2013 Escalade - Experiencing poor build quality in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Singh G I love my escalade, but should I keep ignoring the poor build quality?! I ordered ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2013 Escalade - Experiencing poor build quality

Quote Originally Posted by Singh G View Post
    I love my escalade, but should I keep ignoring the poor build quality?!

I ordered my Escalade in December 2012 and I picked it up toward end of Feb 2013. It had 2 miles on the clock when it arrived to the dealer for delivery.

The first thing that caught my eye was peeling chrome trim on the passenger side. I pointed it out and dealer was nice about it as expected. The service rep jotted it down and ordered me a new piece. I took delivery of the vehicle and we get ready to drive off. As my wife closes her door, the triangle pastic trim on the inside of the mirror falls off on the dashboard. I step back out and get the service rep again. He tells me that probably the mirror was loose during assembly at the plant and they had to hand tighten it. The plastic trim was probably loose from that. Well, he gets one of the techs to put it back in place. The tech tried it a couple of times and said the clip was bent and he needed to order a new one. So they order the chrome trim and plastic trim at the same time. Wife and I finally get home.

The Escalade is our third vehicle and sees driving time usually on weekends when wife and I are both off. Two days later, we get ready to drive the escalade to dinner, and she spots a scratch on the chrome trim piece on the gate. I swear I must be blind to the blemishes because I was so excited about the actual truck. Well, I call my sales guy and he tells me that they cannot do anything about that because it is not a manufacturer defect. I expected that answer, but I thought Id give it shot. I have no idea when it happened and I seriously doubt someone maliciously scratched just the chrome piece and nothing else. A few days later, all the trim arrived, and they replaced it.

About a month ago, I noted gaps in the rear bumper as it attaches to the body. The bumper was lined up on the outside, I just figured maybe thats how it mounts. You cannot see it when the gate is closed, but when the gate is open, it is still unappealing for a 70k vehicle.

Yesterday, again my wife, noted a big gap on the interior trim. Should I just have my wife close her eyes when driving in the escalade?

I will be contacting my dealer about this tomorrow, because today is a Sunday. Sorry for the long rant, anyway no thread is complete without pics.

problem with the rear bumper

problem with the interior trim

mirror trim that fell off
    Hello Singh G,

I am sorry for these concerns you have had and are currently experiencing with your Escalade. I see you are contacting your dealership to discuss your current issues. Please keep me informed of the progress and dealership visit. I can be reached via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by 777flyer View Post
    I ordered my 2013 ESV Platinum in Nov, 2012

Took delivery on March 8, 2013.

Absolutely love the truck, but issues (all fixed by the dealer )

1. The drivers seat cover was COMPLETELY replaced, due to it coming apart at the stitches.
    2. Console cover would not close, defective locking mechanism replaced.
    3. Annoying, and I mean annoying squeak in instrument cluster....fixed by adding padding and reseating.

As I said, all items quickly repaired/replaced, but I am somewhat disappointed that these types of things happen on a luxury SUV.

S
    Hello 777flyer,

I apologize for these issues your Escalade had. I understand how it must have been annoying and frustrating. I would feel the same way as you if I were in your shoes. Glad you love the truck and the issues were fixed. I hope you continue to enjoy your Escalade. If there are ever any questions or concerns you would like to discuss, we can be reached via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by sdgc View Post
    All I have really had (and still) is the glove box looks crooked, and i adjusted to the max to fix, but it looks like thats how it fits. Secondly, the gaps around the front hood were adjusted and fixed. and 3, the lights at the back dont have the same gap spacing around them (I have super duper OCD and notice these small things).. otherwise, best driving vehicle I have EVER had. Hands down. But i do agree that it comes down to the dealer to provide the help. I just took apart and re-adjusted myself (except that freakin glove box...!!!)
    Hello sdgc,

I am happy to hear that your Escalade is the best driving vehicle you ever had. I am sorry for the troubles of the glove box in your vehicle. I hope you still enjoy your Cadillac Escalade! If any concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

None of those problems on my '07, except for the door sill. You bought a brand new truck, so take it into the dealership.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Wow, I have had (12) of these trucks since 2003, and I have only had (4) of them that every went back for any warranty repair, of course one of my 2007 that exploded in my garage, it was 27 days old with 900 miles on it, beside that really minor things like my 2003 blew an HID bulb in the first week of delivery, one 2008 bad gas cap, and 2010 that needed a fuel tank wire harness replaced in the first week of ownership. Now I will say this, THERE CAN NOT BE ANYONE AT THE CADDY PLANT IN TEXAS THAT LOOKS AT TRUCKS BEFORE THEY LOAD THEM ON CAR CARRIERS FOR DELIVERY, because if there was I would not see chrome peeling off my platinum wheels as the brand new truck is being backed off the car carrier, that happened on (2) of my 2012 platinum trucks, one truck had (2) bad wheels, and the other truck had (1), which of course was replaced very quickly. Your molding issue on the rear doors is very common, I fixed several of mine with a heat gun and glue. Don't think these are just Caddy problems, my wifes 2013 grand Cherokee hemi had issues because the one cylinder head looking like it was machined with a chain saw, this was causing coolant to pour out, this happened the second day after delivery, of course because of that issue she is driving an srt8 grand Cherokee. Went to pickup my new jag last week, now understand I do not let the dealerships prep my cars, EVER, so I looked at the car, brand new I ordered it, and I find (2) door dings on the drivers door, now understand the car has 2 MILES on it, and if you can believe this, the sales manger told me "I was being to critical" and said I should just take the car "because you can not see the dings when you are driving" it was hard to walk away from a car you ordered in NOV, but walk is what I did. Any car manufacturer can disappoint you in a second by poor quality, and it seems there is less control as the price of these cars and trucks gets out of control. Now understand I am old, but does anyone think paying 80k plus for a truck is a good thing? I remember saying "I will never pay over 50k for a truck" , yea well just spent 118k of the last one so you can see how that goes.

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    The door molding can be replaced with a new part that has a better designed tab system to keep the molding tighter to the metal. I had to buy the part for my 07 Avalanche. You would think a new truck would be using the new part but the point is it can be fixed. I replaced mine a couple years ago and it is still fine.

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

I see nothing has changed since 2010 with my Platinum Nightmarelade. I am sorry for your issues, I had cosmetic and mechanical problems with mine. Although for the cost of these trucks we should not be experiencing such issues be glad yours are somewhat correctable. I hope for the sake of gm that they at least try to upgrade their quality standards. I was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about the city of Detroit and how they may file bankruptcy and what this means for the big 3 ( Although they only really talked about gm). Good luck getting your issues corrected.

evois is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    ........yea well just spent 118k of the last one so you can see how that goes.
    2013 range rover S/C?

Quote Originally Posted by evois View Post
    2013 range rover S/C?
    2014 GL63, 571 hp

evois is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    2014 GL63, 571 hp
    how is it compared with the platinum? drive and size wise? not build because I can live with it.

zam2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV, GL, S class

I have an S550, a GL450, and Escalade ESV.

In term of build quality, the S is about 1000 times better than the GL, and the GL is about 500 times better than the Escalade. I have replaced pretty much all the trims, door handles, dash board within the big Caddy truck. Most due to crack or chrome peel off. The alignment & material & fitment of the Caddy fit right into stuff for rental fleet.

That said, it's still the favorite car within our family: roomy, lot of power, and such a cool look. Haven't encountered any problem with the drive trans nor electronic.

As for the Benz, no problem with trims whatsoever, but couple problems problem with all of the computer or air-matic (lucky are all covered under warranty) somehow make us "prefer" the problems with the Caddy.

We see the Caddy as a big truck that can also carry our family comfortably & go anywhere, and that's how we love it.

Quote Originally Posted by zam2000 View Post

In term of build quality, the S is about 1000 times better than the GL, and the GL is about 500 times better than the Escalade. I have replaced pretty much all the trims, door handles, dash board within the big Caddy truck. Most due to crack or chrome peel off. The alignment & material & fitment of the Caddy fit right into stuff for rental fleet.

That said, it's still the favorite car within our family: roomy, lot of power, and such a cool look. Haven't encountered any problem with the drive trans nor electronic.

As for the Benz, no problem with trims whatsoever, but couple problems problem with all of the computer or air-matic (lucky are all covered under warranty) somehow make us "prefer" the problems with the Caddy.

We see the Caddy as a big truck that can also carry our family comfortably & go anywhere, and that's how we love it.

----------

[/COLOR]

I just traded a 13' GL550 for the GL63, there is a huge difference between these two trucks. I got tired of the standard seats and after 7 Escalade the last 3 have/were platinum models, more comfort in the seats and the dash and door panels look nicer, but as you said FAR from the MB.

Singh G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

thanks everyone for the replies. I have not posted in this thread because I was waiting for my day off to go to my dealer. I called on Monday and made an appointment for yesterday. I met with my sales person and we took a look at my escalade. He proceeded to tell me that this was a common problem and the plastic trim just needed to be pushed back in place "because there is a joint there." He also said that someone must have kicked it out of place. I had to bite my tongue because my daughter's seat is placed there, and all we do is put her in her seat from that side. Next, as promised, we took a look at one of the new trucks on their lot. I guess it was a premium, because it did not have the platinum badge, but had the dual exhaust and clear lights. Low and behold, it had the same bumper problem. There was also wiggle room with the trim on the same side as mine. So, I walked away from my dealership disappointed, but content, in that my escalade is not the only one with these problems.

I enjoy the ride of my escalade very much. I plan to keep this rig until I drive it to the ground, and I hardly ever say that about my vehicles. I have purchased/leased 5 since 2008. My wife is in the market for a new car, and I was pushing her towards an ATS. I have reconsidered cadillac as a brand, and I think she is more more set on the CLA 4matic.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Deany View Post

I have this same thing in my 07, i pull the panel in to get rid of the gap and then a few months later it comes back out.
    thats the response I got from my salesperson.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

I agree 100percent.. I dont own the other 2 cars, but we bought the caddy for size and power, and beleive it or not preferred the look over many others. Test drove a few tohers out there (not the GL63) and the Caddy won hands down for ride and smoothness/comfort. But it IS ridiculous... the shit box kia we have has a better/fit finish than the cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by sdgc View Post
    I agree 100percent.. I dont own the other 2 cars, but we bought the caddy for size and power, and beleive it or not preferred the look over many others. Test drove a few tohers out there (not the GL63) and the Caddy won hands down for ride and smoothness/comfort. But it IS ridiculous... the shit box kia we have has a better/fit finish than the cadillac.
    I have only have two MB suv's and I got to say they ride 1000000000 times smoother than my Escalade's, the seats are 10000000 times more comfortable than the platinum seats, but I will put my Escalade against anything in 3 ft deep snow that's why I still have one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.