New guy with a couple dumb noob questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, New guy with a couple dumb noob questions in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have searched and apologize if this is a repeat question. I will delete it if so. Yesterday we purchased ...
    Holaday is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade ESV

New guy with a couple dumb noob questions

I have searched and apologize if this is a repeat question. I will delete it if so.

Yesterday we purchased a 2008 ESV to replace our Jeep Commander. It does not have an owners manual and I have never had a DVD player in a vehicle. Is there any way to have the DVD going and still be able to use the radio. I can only listen to Thomas so many times on a road trip. I ordered the owners manual, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the new to me truck:

Also, this is the wife's DD 99% of the time. However I tow my Jeep out to go wheeling once a month. I don't want to burn up the transmission and would appreciate any advice on keeping everything happy while towing. Total weight is about 6500-7000 lbs.

Old setup:

Thanks for any advice on these questions, and sorry if they have been covered before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Singh G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade
    Nice truck.

I cannot chime in on the DVD issue, although I'm sure others will. My daughter is 16 months and I plan on using a tablet to keep her busy as she grows up.

Nice jeep as well. I have a jk. Its lightly nodded so I can drive it to the trail. I will be using the escalade to tow it in the future and I have no doubt that it will be fine. Being that you have an ESV it should be a piece of cake.

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Re: New guy with a couple dumb noob questions

What I did was purchase some aftermarket headrest dvd players that have the dvd player and monitor built into them. This way my daughter and anyone else sitting in the rear seats can put a movie in and watch their own movies separate or they can watch one movie on one headrest and the other can view it as well. They have their own built in speakers as well which makes it a lot easier than having it tied into the radio. This has been my experience trying to figure out a good rear dvd option for kids in my 07 escalade. It also didn't have a rear dvd option either.

surburban99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Platinum Escalade ESV

Congrats on the purchase of your ESV. You will find it to be a great vehicle.

Is the DVD player factory installed? If so, do you have the headsets that come with the player?

Quote Originally Posted by Singh G View Post
    Nice truck.

I cannot chime in on the DVD issue, although I'm sure others will. My daughter is 16 months and I plan on using a tablet to keep her busy as she grows up.

Nice jeep as well. I have a jk. Its lightly nodded so I can drive it to the trail. I will be using the escalade to tow it in the future and I have no doubt that it will be fine. Being that you have an ESV it should be a piece of cake.
    Thanks man. I am thinking my 3 year old will handle road trips better now. Kind of wish I hadn't taken the Jeep beyond road friendly but its an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by surburban99 View Post
    Congrats on the purchase of your ESV. You will find it to be a great vehicle.

Is the DVD player factory installed? If so, do you have the headsets that come with the player?
    Thanks!

Yeah it is the factory setup with the 2 monitors. The headsets come in next week as well as the remote. I take it that is the only way to use both?

Found the tow button to turn off the OD. Sorry for the dumb thread

Got the DVD working correctly. My kid loves it.

Also, truck tows great. Got 12.4 mpg for the round trip, and it held 75 mph fine. Only concern was the tires so I think I will upgrade to a higher load rated set to be safe. Overall though it was great.

Next year, Missouri to Moab should be a true test

texas1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase of your ESV did you find out how to get the DVD going and still be able to use the radio. I had issuse with my monitor going out so i just bought two tv headrest with built in dvd players

Quote Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    Congrats on the purchase of your ESV did you find out how to get the DVD going and still be able to use the radio. I had issuse with my monitor going out so i just bought two tv headrest with built in dvd players
    My wife did. Once we got the headphones from the dealer she figured it out.

AZKlaus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

Congrats, I also upgraded from a Commander (indirectly, had a Lexus sedan in between) and while I did like the commander (2006 limited fully loaded) the Escalade is a HUGE step up in terms of luxury features, power, styling, comfort, technology, etc. Very happy with my switch! The only thing that grinds my gears is NO built in bluetooth, I have to mod something to make it work. Don't get me wrong, I love modding (other car is a 94 Supra) but this is a car I did NOT want to touch but I have to have my bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by AZKlaus View Post
    Congrats, I also upgraded from a Commander (indirectly, had a Lexus sedan in between) and while I did like the commander (2006 limited fully loaded) the Escalade is a HUGE step up in terms of luxury features, power, styling, comfort, technology, etc. Very happy with my switch! The only thing that grinds my gears is NO built in bluetooth, I have to mod something to make it work. Don't get me wrong, I love modding (other car is a 94 Supra) but this is a car I did NOT want to touch but I have to have my bluetooth
    Couldn't agree more. I didn't even think to check for Blue Tooth, just figured it would be standard.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.