Smooth ride in '07 ESV is gone. Help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Smooth ride in '07 ESV is gone. Help!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I bought my '07 ESV brand new from the dealer a little over 5.5 years ago and I absolutely love ...
    see4real is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smooth ride in '07 ESV is gone. Help!!!

I bought my '07 ESV brand new from the dealer a little over 5.5 years ago and I absolutely love it. However, I have been so close to trading it in several times over the last few months due to the rough ride I am experiencing. It now has 83,000 miles on it and it seems like every bump has a residual shaking effect. Even on what appear to be smooth roads, there is a degree of shaking, where something on the passenger seat will rattle or vibrate.

I searched the forums and asked the dealer to check everything that could be related --- shocks, struts, balance, etc. No issues found. I just put brand new tires on it as well, hoping that would solve the issue. Unfortunately, it didn't. Any suggestions? I would love to pinpoint this problem and have it fixed, so I can keep the vehicle for at least a few more years. But, in its current driving state, it is making me crazy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Smooth ride in '07 ESV is gone. Help!!!

There are no struts on an Escalade , but at 83k miles your shocks are shot, we just went thru this with a customer, he purchased the Arnott replacement shocks and we installed them, the difference in the ride before and after was night and day, he too replaced the tires, and that made it better, but he was glad he did the shocks, he said it saved him 50k from buying a new one.

Thanks for the reply! I was reading posts and grabbing any possibilities I could find... What kind of ballpark price-wise will I be in to replace shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by see4real View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I was reading posts and grabbing any possibilities I could find... What kind of ballpark price-wise will I be in to replace shocks?
    Here is a link to the web site
    https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...d6_pid180.html

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Can you install these on a escalade with a drop kit?

Awesome! Thanks again for the help. In reading some other posts/websites along the way, is there any concern about the electronic ride control or airbag type system? I really do not know much about these and want to get as much info as possible.

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

If you scroll down you will see the OEM replacements they offer, at the top of that page you see their conversion kit which is just one of a few options. I used Arnott shocks to replace my front shocks and rear shocks and I got my ride quality back to where it should be.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

see4real,

It looks like you're getting some great input on which direction go in from hcvone. We'll be watching for updates - let us know if you need for us to do any follow up with the dealership you were working with.

Regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

BigN8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by see4real
    I bought my '07 ESV brand new from the dealer a little over 5.5 years ago and I absolutely love it. However, I have been so close to trading it in several times over the last few months due to the rough ride I am experiencing. It now has 83,000 miles on it and it seems like every bump has a residual shaking effect. Even on what appear to be smooth roads, there is a degree of shaking, where something on the passenger seat will rattle or vibrate.

I searched the forums and asked the dealer to check everything that could be related --- shocks, struts, balance, etc. No issues found. I just put brand new tires on it as well, hoping that would solve the issue. Unfortunately, it didn't. Any suggestions? I would love to pinpoint this problem and have it fixed, so I can keep the vehicle for at least a few more years. But, in its current driving state, it is making me crazy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I got arnott's front and rear OEM shocks and I find the rear bounces a lot. With 20/20 hindsight I should have paid for stock ones. You get what you pay for arnott's are cheap and that's what you get in return

jlt1699 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    There are no struts on an Escalade , but at 83k miles your shocks are shot, we just went thru this with a customer, he purchased the Arnott replacement shocks and we installed them, the difference in the ride before and after was night and day, he too replaced the tires, and that made it better, but he was glad he did the shocks, he said it saved him 50k from buying a new one.

I was just told that my right front strut needs to be replaced on my 08 with 32k on it.
    So Escalade's don't have struts???? The cadillac service department made that determination????

Quote Originally Posted by jlt1699 View Post
    I was just told that my right front strut needs to be replaced on my 08 with 32k on it.
    So Escalade's don't have struts???? The cadillac service department made that determination????
    I would find another dealership if you were told that, because the GM service manual clearly calls them shocks, as do all the manufacturers that offer replacements, even the GM sales brochures call them shocks. Not trying to be a dick but we work on these daily, do a search on the difference between struts and shocks and you will see GM full size trucks all use shocks.

Struts are a type of suspension system present in many cars. MacPherson struts are the most common form of strut suspension that use a shock absorber as the steering pivot. In this system, when the steering wheel is turned, the strut is actually rotated as well. This rotation provides turning capability to the wheels.

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

Struts are a type of suspension system present in many cars. MacPherson struts are the most common form of strut suspension that use a shock absorber as the steering pivot. In this system, when the steering wheel is turned, the strut is actually rotated as well. This rotation provides turning capability to the wheels.

correct, struts used to be used exclusively in cars but now are used in trucks and SUV's as well for weight savings and less moving parts compared to the wishbone suspensions, etc. So, technically it is a strut. but GM calls it a shock hence it is not covered by majorguard gm warranty. they will cover strut, but not shocks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.