Grinding noise when Accelerating on my 2007 Cadillac Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Grinding noise when Accelerating on my 2007 Cadillac Escalade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've had my Escalade for a while now with no serious problems other than minor electrical glitches here and there ...
    lmarin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade

Grinding noise when Accelerating on my 2007 Cadillac Escalade

I've had my Escalade for a while now with no serious problems other than minor electrical glitches here and there covered by my extended warranty with GM but just a few days ago I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front end when I accelerate. There is also a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. I popped the hood and saw that steering wheel fluid seemed to be leaking from a corroded pipe and I'm taking it to the dealer for that tomorrow. However, I'm not convinced that is what the grinding noise is when I'm accelerating. It sounds like its coming more from the engine. Has anyone experienced this? And is the corroded pipe covered under the GMPP Total Plus warranty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Grinding noise when Accelerating on my 2007 Cadillac Escalade

Welcome to the forum. How many miles? How many times have you changed the front diff oil? Common issue because many owners never do this and then before long you are replacing the front diff bearings and many times the gears too

Thanks for the Welcome. I'm getting close to 93,000 miles. As for the front diff oil, I've always left everything to the dealer and I go service it a few times a year but the service technicians haven't mentioned this recently and I have put in about 20k miles into the car last year. I'll bring it up tomorrow when I have the dealer look at it. Thanks for the info.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by lmarin View Post
    I've had my Escalade for a while now with no serious problems other than minor electrical glitches here and there covered by my extended warranty with GM but just a few days ago I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front end when I accelerate. There is also a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. I popped the hood and saw that steering wheel fluid seemed to be leaking from a corroded pipe and I'm taking it to the dealer for that tomorrow. However, I'm not convinced that is what the grinding noise is when I'm accelerating. It sounds like its coming more from the engine. Has anyone experienced this? And is the corroded pipe covered under the GMPP Total Plus warranty?
    Hello lmarin,

I see you are taking your vehicle in for diagnosis at the dealership. They are the best people to discuss your vehicle concerns with. We rely heavily on our certified GM dealerships for their technical expertise and advice. Please keep me updated on the outcome, and if there are other concerns or questions you have, don't hesitate to reach out. I can also be reached via private message.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello lmarin,

I see you are taking your vehicle in for diagnosis at the dealership. They are the best people to discuss your vehicle concerns with. We rely heavily on our certified GM dealerships for their technical expertise and advice. Please keep me updated on the outcome, and if there are other concerns or questions you have, don't hesitate to reach out. I can also be reached via private message.

Laura M.
    Thank you for offering your assistance. I did take it to the dealer and the problem was with the power steering pump. There was a hole in the pump due to the corrosion and that is what was causing the loud grinding noise when accelerating and a whirling noise when the engine is running. These noises were all connected to the faulty pump. The warranty did cover the issue and I'm happy with the service.

Thank you for offering your assistance. I did take it to the dealer and the problem was with the power steering pump. There was a hole in the pump due to the corrosion and that is what was causing the loud grinding noise when accelerating and a whirling noise when the engine is running. These noises were all connected to the faulty pump. The warranty did cover the issue and I'm happy with the service.
    You are welcome Imarin. Thank you for responding back to me and updating me on your current situation. I am happy to hear the dealership was able to provide their service and find the problem to fix. That is good news to hear the warranty will cover the issue and we are glad you were satisfied with your dealership experience. Don't hesitate to reach out to us in the near future with any other concerns or questions.

Laura M.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Was the hole near the fittings? Just saw a truck from Denver that was leaking there too, the metal was just eaten away, looked like a salt issue from the underside of the truck. We towed the truck to the local Chevy dealer for warranty replacement, glad they got yours fixed and that's all it was.

SpyShops NY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade

Engine Mount

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    Was the hole near the fittings? Just saw a truck from Denver that was leaking there too, the metal was just eaten away, looked like a salt issue from the underside of the truck. We towed the truck to the local Chevy dealer for warranty replacement, glad they got yours fixed and that's all it was.
    There was a hole in the tube leading to the pump which the dealership sealed but they replaced the entire pump so there might have been a problem with that as well. There was heavy corrosion on the pump and the tube. The salt and snow really do a number on cars here in Canada. I use to live in Atlanta and never came across problems like this.

mrgoat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had a very similar noise last year on my 08 ESV. Turns out that one of the bolts holding the torque converter to the flywheel had backed out and was making contact with the bellhousing. The repair was covered under the powertrain warranty.

TAM79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1966 Mustang, 2000 Chrysler Sebring Coupe, 2007 Escalade EXT

Imarin, Don't know if this will help but I had a grinding noise with my 2007 EXT. When ever I would accelerate it created a vibration, felt like it came from the front diff. No one could find the problem until the Transfer failed, once it was replaced the vibration and grinding went away. If you have all wheel drive I would check the transfer. At this failure I was over 140,000 miles, That's just my experience.

brenner08cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    I did an iol change on my car two days ago when I finished up and dropped it to take for a test drive it started making this dragging noise like if something is dragging on the bottom of the car but it only makes the noise the when I speed up to about 15 mph then goes away and I cant figure out what it is does anyone maybe have any suggestions where to start looking ??

Quote Originally Posted by brenner08cts View Post
    I did an iol change on my car two days ago when I finished up and dropped it to take for a test drive it started making this dragging noise like if something is dragging on the bottom of the car but it only makes the noise the when I speed up to about 15 mph then goes away and I cant figure out what it is does anyone maybe have any suggestions where to start looking ??
    Hello brenner08cts,

I apologize that you are hearing a dragging noise after you changed your oil the other day. Have you had a chance to take your vehicle in for service at a Cadillac dealership? If you would like any assistance setting up an appointment or working with the dealership, please feel free to reach out to me via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

GLH
    GLH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV 2008 white diamond, 2005 X Type Jag

My car just started doing this. Did you ever figure it out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.