escalade 2012 hood damage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, escalade 2012 hood damage in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi, worst luck with my new escalade, it has less than 2000 miles and my neighbors tree fell across hood, ...
    annlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade 2012

escalade 2012 hood damage

Hi, worst luck with my new escalade, it has less than 2000 miles and my neighbors tree fell across hood, lots of dents throughout hood. I am wondering if it's possible to get replacement hood with factory finish, it is the white diamond. Has anyone ever heard if that's possible. I was in a body shop once and there was a brand new Lincoln towncar that had dealer plates and when I asked the guy about it he said it had been damaged coming off of trailer. Probably new owner never knew about that at time, but I wondered in instance where damage is isolated like mine to hood if it might be possible to replace it. Thanks and any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: escalade 2012 hood damage

Should be able to be repaired. Id take it to the dealer. Your neighbors home owners insurance should cover it. Good luck.

Cadsrfun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Silver Escalade ESV Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by annlee View Post
    Hi, worst luck with my new escalade, it has less than 2000 miles and my neighbors tree fell across hood, lots of dents throughout hood. I am wondering if it's possible to get replacement hood with factory finish, it is the white diamond. Has anyone ever heard if that's possible. I was in a body shop once and there was a brand new Lincoln towncar that had dealer plates and when I asked the guy about it he said it had been damaged coming off of trailer. Probably new owner never knew about that at time, but I wondered in instance where damage is isolated like mine to hood if it might be possible to replace it. Thanks and any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I think you are asking if you can order a new factory hood in white diamond. I think the answer to that is no because the paint will be slightly off depending where the truck was originally constructed and painted. In theory it should be the same using the paint code but it isn't. When you go to a body shop they have cards with different hues and level of metallic in the paint and hold up to the vehicle in the sunlight to get the best match. Then they mix the paint and try it on a card then place it next to the paint and see how close it is. I think you would be happiest by ordering a new hood and have it painted at a body shop that is really on top of it. That might be a dealer but in my experience a body shop that does this for a living can do a better job than a dealer.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

^ This.

I know it's more expensive but it's the right way to do it. You can also go to an off dealer qualified body shop and ask them to use either a OE refurbished or a quality aftermarket OE replacement hood, as both are a lot cheaper than a new OE hood.

You can also find primered unpainted hoods of the ebay at good prices ... but just make sure the body shop deals with the ordering of the hood, cause the last thing you want is to be trying to schlep a hood around town trying to find the best deal on a paint job, these things are huge.

----------

Btw, on a side note: If you use a private body shop you can try to sweet talk them into either not entering your vin or entering a different vin in their database. The dealer will definitely enter your vin in his. The difference is that once it's in, it'll definitely show on the vehicle's service record and probably on services like carfax, which might obviously hurt the resale value. There are not many advantages to be doing this out of pocket as opposed to the insurance route ... having the work done 'off the books' is one of them.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

If you go to a 'good' bodyshop, they should have a bunch of shades of white diamond in their GM paint book. I was looking at getting some work done on an Escalade I had, and I was impressed that they had 10-12 shades on that we could hold up next to the car to find the best match. Had I done the work (a fuel door), the match looked like it would have been decent.

The painter can even fine tune it from there. Try to find someone that has experience with pearls and candies.

Pearl paint colors are very hard to match and even the best efforts may result in a mismatch. This will be less noticeable on a hood, so hopefully it will be close enough.

annlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade 2012

Thanks to everyone for those replies, appreciate the time. Learned from a repair on my Navigator that body shop work is very much a second to factory paint job. Appreciate the input and think I've found really good garage, from the website I can tell they are not in business with the insurance company. I was hoping to magically just change out hoods, but now see that was naive thinking. We have high deductible and learned from neighbor and insurance agent that tree falling is considered act of God, unless it's dead, and that it falls under our auto comprehensive, so we decided to pay out of pocket since our daughter recently had accident. Hope no one else has this happen to their Escalade and wish we'd kept our garage cleaner.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

Erm, I would get another opinion on this 'act of god' thing. I know for us, we have to keep our trees trimmed and even maintain the sidewalk which is city property, for if something or someone gets hurt by or on either one of them (for our lack of clearing limbs, ice, etc) we are liable and our insurance pays out. We went through these hypothetical scenarios with our agent to be sure. I just can't see any possible way that your neighbor isn't liable for his/her tree falling on your vehicle. Heck, they should just pay for the repairs out of principle. Would you be so willing to let it go if god forbid someone was in the esky and got hurt when the tree fell?

2 cents.

CUTiger78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 ESV Premium

Re. Soulsea's 2 cents - while he makes what seems to be a reasonable argument, that's not the way it is across the river here in VA. My tree fell & took out my neighbor's shed. He was responsible for damage on his property. This tenet was confirmed by both his & my insurance agents. In a case like mine, it would set a bad precedent to offer to pay for damage that I'm not legally liable for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.