2008 with 2500 miles... Maintenance Opinions Needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2008 with 2500 miles... Maintenance Opinions Needed in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Quick Question, I recently bought an 08 with 2500 miles from original owner, who purchased in late 2008 and didnt ...
    clk199 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2008 with 2500 miles... Maintenance Opinions Needed

Quick Question,

I recently bought an 08 with 2500 miles from original owner, who purchased in late 2008 and didnt drive it much. This truck is like new, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything concerning maintenance.

So far I changed the engine oil, he had changed it once, and I used Mobile 1 with an amsoil filter. Plan on changing it pretty quick in a few thousand miles just to run a sample on it. So the main question is should I go ahead and do the diffs and transfer case now, or perhaps wait until I put some miles on it? Does sitting and being driven so rarely over the past years justify a change? I may also put in a new battery just in case, and of course clay bar and give it a fresh coat of sealant. After that I need to run it, as I only have 1.5 years of GMPP extended warranty remaining.

So should I tackle the diffs and transfer case now or hold off? Opinions wanted!!! THANKS!

-nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 2008 with 2500 miles... Maintenance Opinions Needed

If youre asking the question, then you probably should. I am a little OCD when it comes to my cars. Servicing or cleaning is a perfect opportunity to really inspect your car.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Change the coolant also ... there's a time limit on that stuff not just mileage
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks for the reminder about coolant! Is this a DIY as well? I'm gonna start on front diff today- hard to get much done with a new baby--- but day by day I'll get it done!

Changed the front diff, transfer case, and rear diff. All went silky smooth and is worth the piece of mind! Sure glad I did it !

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

2500miles that's a brand new car... That is insane . Or is that a typo and you meant 25000 miles?

^^No typo... 25 HUNDRED miles. The issue in my mind was the age--- a 2008 with 2500 miles. I like knowing what I have for a baseline, and everything is now switched over to MY favorite oil brand. I think those who have low miles, like 10-20k on their rides would be shocked at the condition of the oil in their front diffs. Mine looked good, but not what you'd think from that low of miles. Also chaged the oil. Didnt bother with a blackstone test, just swapped it and it ONLY took an hour to pry off the old filter! Maybe overkill, but I like knowing all is sound on my vehicles,,,, and really, its cheap... easy.. and good insurance IMO!-Thanks for reading,-n8

2500 miles on a 5 year old car just dont make no sense at all what happened the previous owner did he die shortley after he bought it or what.

^I was skeptical as well, but can assure you the mileage is legit! Monthly onstar mileage records show it was never driven, and of course the vehicle is spotless inside and out, and underneeth as well! No wear on the driver seat, door handle or step. Buyer bought it new in 2009 as a leftover, wanted to use it as a "truck", but did not want to get it dirty. He then bought a GMC pickup, a SUV for his wife, and decided to sell this in order to fund an ESV and some type of bus/camper thing.I was shocked to find it, and figured it was too good to be true----but I put it on a lift and inspected it with a fine tooth comb and all looked good, so I pulled the trigger------- and then local dealer confirmed the condition. At 2500 miles it was evident it was not driven!!!! Sure glad I found it! Even the guy that tinted it thought it was brand new!!!!THis is how I strive to buy my vehicles... my last few have been very simular. I dont have the budget to buy these types of vehicles new, so I wait to find deals like these! Has been working very well for me! Fingers crossed my streak continues!-n8

Ghost Deany is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS

Believe it. My dad leased a brand new ford fusion in 2010, present day the car only has 3600 miles on it.

Great purchase congrats.. do you mind me asking how much you got it for? I also have a 08 that I payed 28 plus tax for mine and mine is fully fully loaded but where I live depending on the milage they run between 30 -36 for a 08

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I change the oil, and be done with it. Everything else is a WASTE of money.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.