who really knows what Tow/Haul actually does to our Escalades...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, who really knows what Tow/Haul actually does to our Escalades... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I brought a boat home today, 250 mile trip. 6-6500k lbs total weight being pulled. Shouldn't be an issue, right? ...
    shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

who really knows what Tow/Haul actually does to our Escalades...

I brought a boat home today, 250 mile trip. 6-6500k lbs total weight being pulled. Shouldn't be an issue, right?

This truck struggled. I stayed out of tow/haul. Tried to maintain 60-65mph and not let the trans and engine get too hot. Good luck with that!

yes, it's 90+ here today but it's flat Florida and these 6.2's should not have this trouble. Gain some speed and let her lock the Tq conv and go. 60mph seemed nice but it would eventually fall off and unlock the tw conv. temp would eventually creep up and the trans would get near 240.

I'd turn the AC off and keep going at 60mph. Everything cooled down an repeat.

About 50 miles from home, I decided to try tow/haul. Usually tow/haul is for accelerating and holding shifts at the cost of mpg. I was holding the same rpm in 6th without tow/haul but the truck was getting hot, then I tried tow/haul, same rpm and gear as prior but the truck settled down, temp ran mid gauge like normal and the trans temp dropped to 201-203 at 65mph and maintained that fairly easily. My temp gauge usually stays right in the middle, today it was creeping about 1/2 to the next mark. No where near to hot but you can feel the truck lose power as the temp increases.

I'm starting to wonder what actual changes they have in tow/haul other than increased line pressure and shifts being held longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Why avoid using the tow button until the end of the trip. Seems like a good idea to just press the button no matter what it does if you have a 6k lb boat hitched up.
    I also wonder what it does. I have played with that button on a few gm vehicles and couldn't tell what was going on. First guess is that top gear is disabled. Also it could change the tc lock up strategy.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by shore
    I brought a boat home today, 250 mile trip. 6-6500k lbs total weight being pulled. Shouldn't be an issue, right?

This truck struggled. I stayed out of tow/haul. Tried to maintain 60-65mph and not let the trans and engine get too hot. Good luck with that!

yes, it's 90+ here today but it's flat Florida and these 6.2's should not have this trouble. Gain some speed and let her lock the Tq conv and go. 60mph seemed nice but it would eventually fall off and unlock the tw conv. temp would eventually creep up and the trans would get near 240.

I'd turn the AC off and keep going at 60mph. Everything cooled down an repeat.

About 50 miles from home, I decided to try tow/haul. Usually tow/haul is for accelerating and holding shifts at the cost of mpg. I was holding the same rpm in 6th without tow/haul but the truck was getting hot, then I tried tow/haul, same rpm and gear as prior but the truck settled down, temp ran mid gauge like normal and the trans temp dropped to 201-203 at 65mph and maintained that fairly easily. My temp gauge usually stays right in the middle, today it was creeping about 1/2 to the next mark. No where near to hot but you can feel the truck lose power as the temp increases.

I'm starting to wonder what actual changes they have in tow/haul other than increased line pressure and shifts being held longer.
    Jacked this from another forum
    as per the manual:

Vehicles with an automatic transmission have a tow/haul mode. The tow/haul mode adjusts the transmission shift pattern to reduce shift cycling, providing increased performance, vehicle control, and transmission cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
    The selector button is located on the end of the shift lever. Turn the tow/haul on and off by pressing the button. When the tow/haul is on, a light on the instrument panel cluster will come on.

See Tow/Haul Mode Light on page 3-51 for more information.

I use on the street but not the highway for fuel savings if i feel the truck is handling the load without struggle

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Re: who really knows what Tow/Haul actually does to our Escalades...

Like I said, I've always had boats and big ones. I traded my 06 duramax for this 07 Escalade, I had an 05 and various others. The Tow/haul was horrible on highway as it would hold rpms too high and murder the mpg and the truck was working the entire time.

Seems on this 0y with the 6sp, that isn't the case. That's all I was saying. It was obviously more happy in tow/haul engaged at 65mph than without. 1st time I've experienced that using tow/haul. My duramax hated for anything other than when fast acceleration was needed, like passing or an on-ramp.

I'll tell you this, if there where hills here, no way would I use the Escalade to tow this weight. It's not a big big boat, 25' center console with twins on a tandem aluminum.

Damndirtyape is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

Re: who really knows what Tow/Haul actually does to our Escalades...

From what I understand, regular mode in our trucks from the factory have a ton of torque management crap in there and nice soft shifts to give us a smooth plush ride. Tow/Haul ups the line pressure, changes the lockup strategy, some shift patterns and all that at the cost of comfort to decrease slipping and handle the extra load. Again, not an expert but what I understand is the heat is from slippage of the bands and such so they have to be held tighter for heavier loads and that's what Tow/Haul does. I think if you're used to towing with a diesel, probably explains your quandry. Diesel drivetrains are naturally more robust than gassers and escalades in particular are going to have a softer feel to it and thusly a tougher time towing. You don't need haul mode on a diesel unless you're pulling something seriously heavy.

Whether or not its right, if I'm towing anything I go to Tow/Haul mode the whole time trailer is hitched up since I have a tune on my truck geared towards performance. I haven't pulled anything heavy yet, heaviest being a 6x12 uhaul loaded down with a big toolboxes, tools and a motorcycle and I had no issues on a 100 mile drive at 70mph. probably only a couple thousand pounds total.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.