High Mileage 08 ESV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, High Mileage 08 ESV in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi All, Im new to the forum, although I've been lurking for a while. I just found a high mileage ...
    dcarl320 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

High Mileage 08 ESV

Hi All,
    Im new to the forum, although I've been lurking for a while. I just found a high mileage 08 ESV, this would be my first Esco and I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or look out for. Any feedback would be appreciated.

-DCARL

06 Denali XL, 07 Audi Q7, 96 Maxima
    Happiness comes before success, not after it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: High Mileage 08 ESV

Have a mechanic check it over. People don't generally sell good cars.

Thats a good point, thanks! Anyone know of a good mech in the Philly area?

Ran-Dom32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

lots of good info on this site, do a few searches, I just got done putting a air ride compressor & new rear shocks at 90K miles, so I would look at that.. this is about a $600 repair if you do it yourself , when I was looking at used Esky's most had some type of "service message " , a good used one should have no service messages or check engine lights on , that goes without saying..

Thanks RanDom,
    Noted... I just found out that there are too many miles on it for an extended warranty... Have there been any tranny concerns?

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Engine and transmission are essentially bulletproof. What is the mileage on that particular Escalade? I would do the following:

1) Check the front struts, rear air shocks, and the air compressor. If you see a black film around the struts/shocks, they should be replaced. You should hear the compressor run for 5 seconds or so after you start the truck, and if you don't, it's likely toast along with the rear shocks.

2) Start the truck when it's cold, and listen for any odd noises coming from the engine (piston slap, belts squeaking, etc).

3) Inspect the exterior gloss trim around the windows as the clear-coat can fade. It's becoming common!

4) Make sure it has had the proper service done to the engine/transmission since it's a high mileage truck.

Good luck!

roadog1aj is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

When you say "High mileage"...just how high are the miles? There is a reason why the extended warranty companies limit their mileage specs. It's because they know it's a costly proposition to warranty a vehicle once it hits a certain amount of miles. These things become a huge money pit for repairs. It would be a shame for you to have a horrible experience with your very first Cadillac, just because you bought one with far too many miles on it, and just in time to be the sucker that spends all his money trying to keep it road worthy. Like MrHolland said: "People don't generally sell good cars" they keep them until they are worried about upcoming repair costs. This Esco may be in nice shape, but be prepared for things to go south in a hurry....and most repairs are going to be costly. Definitely have a respected mechanic give it a thorough inspection (experience with these vehicles a must). I hope you find a good Cadillac, be it this one, or another one, and have an awesome first time experience with it! My wife and I have had many Caddys and loved them all. We are now drooling over the new 2014 CTS with dual turbos...and can't wait to test drive one!!!!!!

Thanks Punmax, Roadog, This one has 150k on it, and just 1 owner who drove the dippity-do-dah out of it in 4 years. LOL. I did see where one of the front shocks were replaced along with the air compressor. But then again, my Denali is not far behind it in miles and I kinda hate to get rid of it but its still, like was said, fairly bullet proof. I will be looking at it tomorrow, but since its not local to me Im going to try and work out some kind of warranty. Im thinking I will be okay if the electrical and drivetrain are reasonable, Im fairly handy so minor mechanical doesnt bother me much.

bigwill1323704 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 EXT
    What's the price of it

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dcarl320 View Post
    Thanks Punmax, Roadog, This one has 150k on it, and just 1 owner who drove the dippity-do-dah out of it in 4 years. LOL. I did see where one of the front shocks were replaced along with the air compressor. But then again, my Denali is not far behind it in miles and I kinda hate to get rid of it but its still, like was said, fairly bullet proof. I will be looking at it tomorrow, but since its not local to me Im going to try and work out some kind of warranty. Im thinking I will be okay if the electrical and drivetrain are reasonable, Im fairly handy so minor mechanical doesnt bother me much.
    Hello dcarl320,

I see people on this forum offered some great insight as to what to do with your situation. Looking at the vehicle is definitely the way to go before purchasing it. Due to the high mileage, there might be more maintenance to be done with it, but after checking it out if you think it will provide you with what you want, then I say go for it. Also because you stated you are a handy person, where minor mechanical issues won't bother you. Good luck with your decision! If there are ever additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Quote Originally Posted by roadog1aj View Post
    When you say "High mileage"...just how high are the miles? There is a reason why the extended warranty companies limit their mileage specs. It's because they know it's a costly proposition to warranty a vehicle once it hits a certain amount of miles. These things become a huge money pit for repairs. It would be a shame for you to have a horrible experience with your very first Cadillac, just because you bought one with far too many miles on it, and just in time to be the sucker that spends all his money trying to keep it road worthy. Like MrHolland said: "People don't generally sell good cars" they keep them until they are worried about upcoming repair costs. This Esco may be in nice shape, but be prepared for things to go south in a hurry....and most repairs are going to be costly. Definitely have a respected mechanic give it a thorough inspection (experience with these vehicles a must). I hope you find a good Cadillac, be it this one, or another one, and have an awesome first time experience with it! My wife and I have had many Caddys and loved them all. We are now drooling over the new 2014 CTS with dual turbos...and can't wait to test drive one!!!!!!
    Hi roadog1aj,

Thanks for reaching out and providing this information. I am happy to hear your love for Cadillac! The new 2014 CTS is an awesome car, huh? I bet you are excited to get your hands on the wheel! Check out this link on the 2014 CTS http://media.cadillac.com/content/me.../0613-cts.html

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Oh well, someone got to it before me. They will probably be posting about it soon! LOL.

SouthernCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

And as far as the bullet proof transmission, someone should have told my ESV with 120K that the transmission was suppose to be bullet proof. After spending 2K on a factory unit and installing it, now I have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on this "BULLET PROOF" tranny. Hope yours last longer than mine did. But I love the truck so much I would replace it again to keep driving it. Nothing like a Escalade!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.