Rear Suspension Popping Noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Rear Suspension Popping Noise in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2008 Escalade and have had a popping noise for over a year now. When I turn left ...
    tgeorge34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Rear Suspension Popping Noise

I have a 2008 Escalade and have had a popping noise for over a year now. When I turn left I can hear the popping sound from the right rear of the vehicle. I have taken it to two different dealerships, and another shop and nobody seems to know what the problem is. Kinda odd, but it seems to do it primarily when it is hot outside. I have tried rocking the vehicle from side to side from the outside and can't get it to pop, so I don't believe it is the suspension. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Tyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC (Z), '97 SS Camaro

Re: Rear Suspension Popping Noise

Is it a 2 rear wheel drive and possibly a limited slip differential? I'm not sure about how the Escalade rear end is set up but most GM cars with a limited slip differential have a tendency to pop when the rear wheels are turning at different speeds such as when the vehicle is moving and turning.

Its an AWD, and it only on the right rear side. Don't see how my rear wheels are turning at different speeds...its not like I am peeling out or something. Also, my wife and brother have the exact same vehicle and neither of them have this issue. If this was a common thing with GM's limited slip differential, I would assume that somebody at the dealership would have figured it out by now.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by tgeorge34 View Post
    I have a 2008 Escalade and have had a popping noise for over a year now. When I turn left I can hear the popping sound from the right rear of the vehicle. I have taken it to two different dealerships, and another shop and nobody seems to know what the problem is. Kinda odd, but it seems to do it primarily when it is hot outside. I have tried rocking the vehicle from side to side from the outside and can't get it to pop, so I don't believe it is the suspension. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Tyler
    Hello tgeorge34,

I apologize that you are experiencing a popping noise in your Escalade. Could you private message me the names of the dealerships you have spoken with, along with your name, contact info, VIN, and mileage? I would like to look further into this issue you are having. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC (Z), '97 SS Camaro

I Don't see how my rear wheels are turning at different speeds...its not like I am peeling out or something.
    When turning the inner wheel is not turning at the same rate as the outer wheel since it doesn't have as much ground to travel as the outer wheel.
    If this was a common thing with GM's limited slip differential, I would assume that somebody at the dealership would have figured it out by now.
    It's the clutch packs allowing the inner axle and the outer axle to turn at different rates.

Cadsrfun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Silver Escalade ESV Platinum

Just for grins GM makes an additive for limited slip differentials. I don't have the pn but it works great and might be worth a try. I have used it in corvette rear ends when they made a clunking noise. It's about $15 a bottle and you only need one.

nixonride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had a similar thing happen after I lowered my 07...i tried rocking it manually and it didnt make the noise either but it was the suspension. The rear springs have a bushing cap on the end and the end of the spring sits in a slot...they werent set in properly and werent in the slot so every know and again they would pop in and pop out. My guy took the caps off and aligned them properly and it hasn't happened since...something that shouldnt cost to much and worth looking at.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. I will make sure to have them check the busing caps and make sure they are aligned properly. Hopefully thats all it is! I will check back tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. I will make sure to have them check the busing caps and make sure they are aligned properly. Hopefully thats all it is! I will check back tomorrow.
    Hello tgeorge34,

Thanks for updating us on your situation. I see you are planning on taking your vehicle into the dealership. I assist Gregory W. on these forums and I am familiar with your interactions with him. Please continue to interact via private message with any updates and other concerns.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Well I took the ride in to the dealership today to have them look at it. They were not able to locate the cause of the noise. I kind of suspected this, as it has not been making the noise for the last two days. They told me just to drive it by without an appointment the next time it is doing it, and hopefully then they will be able to locate it.

Well I took the ride in to the dealership today to have them look at it. They were not able to locate the cause of the noise. I kind of suspected this, as it has not been making the noise for the last two days. They told me just to drive it by without an appointment the next time it is doing it, and hopefully then they will be able to locate it.
    Hi tgeorge34,

I am sorry your issue was not able to be duplicated at your most recent dealership visit. I also hope that when it happens again you can go straight to the dealership and they can see the issue, in order to help resolve this for you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.