2010 ESV shuts off while doing 80mph and won't restart...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2010 ESV shuts off while doing 80mph and won't restart... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; After trading in our 08 ESV for a conversion van a few years ago, we finally traded back into a ...
    Blade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 ESV Plat;10 ESV Lux; 08 Suburban LTZ; 08 ESV-sold

2010 ESV shuts off while doing 80mph and won't restart...

After trading in our 08 ESV for a conversion van a few years ago, we finally traded back into a 2010 ESV on Saturday! Wife happy, kids happy, all is good, until....

The drive home. At 11:30pm, on the interstate, some guy in front of me starts swerving all over the road, so I honk the horn and floor it to get in front of him. Just after I pass him I start to decelerate, and I see the RPMs are at zero...

So, luckily the median was wide enough to pull off with plenty of space. So I turn off the power, and try to restart... The engine grunts, and all things electric start acting bizarre... Onstar won't work, HVAC displays fade in and out... Nav screen comes on late... Etc. I stop turning key, think maybe its the alternator, but notice that I have full power to everything. Turn off everything and try again... Sme thing happens.

I try multiple times over the next 90 min while we are waiting for the tow truck.... Always the same thing.

So, I would love the get some opinions and advice on what could have caused this. I was thinking it was any thing from a loose grounding wire, to some type of controlmodule failure to onstar hacking my engine immobilizer

Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Alegre323 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade
    Check the negative battery terminal. Mine did it to Me in the middle of nowhere coming back from San Francisco to Los Angeles. It said service battery charge system. I pulled over to the nearest rest stop and the negative battery terminal was almost broken.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2010 ESV shuts off while doing 80mph and won't restart...

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    After trading in our 08 ESV for a conversion van a few years ago, we finally traded back into a 2010 ESV on Saturday! Wife happy, kids happy, all is good, until....

The drive home. At 11:30pm, on the interstate, some guy in front of me starts swerving all over the road, so I honk the horn and floor it to get in front of him. Just after I pass him I start to decelerate, and I see the RPMs are at zero...

So, luckily the median was wide enough to pull off with plenty of space. So I turn off the power, and try to restart... The engine grunts, and all things electric start acting bizarre... Onstar won't work, HVAC displays fade in and out... Nav screen comes on late... Etc. I stop turning key, think maybe its the alternator, but notice that I have full power to everything. Turn off everything and try again... Sme thing happens.

I try multiple times over the next 90 min while we are waiting for the tow truck.... Always the same thing.

So, I would love the get some opinions and advice on what could have caused this. I was thinking it was any thing from a loose grounding wire, to some type of controlmodule failure to onstar hacking my engine immobilizer

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Hello Blade,

I am sorry you had to experience this malfunction with your vehicle. I am happy to hear you and your family are okay. I see Alegre323 did offer some insight on a situation he encountered with his Escalade. Please let me know how things go. I can be contacted via private message so we can continue to interact and discuss additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks to both of you for the replies... I checked the battery cables that night, and they seemed ok, and the battery looked new, but I didn't have much of a light other than my cellphone.

Dealership called and said the tranny dropped a couple bearing... Doesn't make sense to me that the tranny caused the oddball electrical behavior when I tried to start it though. I'll have to get them to explain that one.

Also I appreciate Cad Customer Service being online here. I have sent you a PM to discuss this, thanks!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the replies... I checked the battery cables that night, and they seemed ok, and the battery looked new, but I didn't have much of a light other than my cellphone.

Dealership called and said the tranny dropped a couple bearing... Doesn't make sense to me that the tranny caused the oddball electrical behavior when I tried to start it though. I'll have to get them to explain that one.

Also I appreciate Cad Customer Service being online here. I have sent you a PM to discuss this, thanks!
    Hello Blade,

You are welcome. I wanted to let you know I received your PM and we can continue to interact that way.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

wyoescalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Your right to question the connection between the electrical to the transmission, but what's also possible is that the ECU detected a problem with the transmission and shut down the vehicle to prevent further damage. Our current vehicles are more advanced and just like you stated Onstar can turn it off remotely, also your vehicle computer can turn itself off to protect/limit damage, the protection mode of some transmissions can even limit the speed of the vehicle and it goes into a mode called "limp home". I definitely would like to know what you find out I own a 2010 also. Maybe a loose wire or bad module like you stated hopefully your dealer discovers the problem because that is odd, I could understand if the vehicle continued to run slow but normally the drivers information center would state something.

For anyone interested in this:

Service tech stated that the tranny siezed, and because of this, it burned out the Transmission Control Module, which likely caused all the oddball electrical activity. They got a new tranny installed and my wife will have to drive an hour to the dealership to pick it up. Praying no other issues come up as a result of this. We'll see how it goes. My thanks to those who replied to this thread!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.