Please Help, Advice Needed, 07 ESV Intermittent Starting/Dying Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Please Help, Advice Needed, 07 ESV Intermittent Starting/Dying Issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    tenminutes is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Please Help, Advice Needed, 07 ESV Intermittent Starting/Dying Issue

2007 Escalade ESV
    133K Miles
    Recently replaced Battery, spark plugs, wires, and fuel pump (Fuel Pump Replaced in last 48 hours)
    Issue: Since I bought the truck it had a little “bouncy” idle at times, but I always thought that it could be a little rough due to some worn engine mounts. Well, on Monday of this week I was headed from Lubbock to Austin and around two hours outside of town I had to take a detour and come to a stop sign. As we approached the truck started acting like it was going to die, as if it was starving for gas, I tried to give it throttle to keep it alive but it died and wouldn’t restart. I smelt a little gas as a few seconds after. After having a local person town me about 30 minutes down the road, and me continuing to try to start it, it eventually turned over. I hauled back to Lubbock and dropped it off at a Christian Brother automotive. I want to note that when I was trying to start it, the starter was running and trying to fire the engine, but it just wouldn’t catch. I was not getting a clicking noise or anything that would make me think it was the battery. It was about 102 outside so my initial thoughts were Fuel Pump.
    The next morning the mechanic hooked it up and checked the fuel pressure. He said it was fine at cold start but lost pressure as it heated up. That being said the shop told me they were 100% sure it needed a fuel pump. I took their word for it and $800 later I was back on the road. The truck ran awesome and the “bouncy” idle that I always experienced was gone 100%. I was confident that the issue was resolved but 5 hours into the trip home to Austin….I pulled in for gas, turned off the truck, went to restart it, same situation as the day before.
    After being really pissed off and trying to start it with my keyfob, and different throttle placement starts, I waited it out for 20-30 minutes in the shade, with the hood open. Put my foot down about halfway on the pedal, turned the key, and it caught. I hauled ass back to Austin and now it is BACK at Christian Brothers Auto (Mechanic) where they spent ALL DAY yesterday trying to get the thing to fail without any results. This place wants to fix it and make it right since which is wonderful, but how do you diagnose an intermittent issue!?!?!?
    In all of these situations the tank was overfull, so I don’t believe that it was the Charcoal Canister..but I’m open to any suggestions.
    My hope is that one of you has some ideas that I can share with this shop. Fingers crossed because this is my wife and 1 year olds truck and I do not want this happening when I am away!!!! Frustrating.

Thanks and sorry for the novel.

Cody

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

Re: Please Help, Advice Needed, 07 ESV Intermittent Starting/Dying Issue

Do you still have the stock battery in it?

No, my battery died last month and it has a brand new battery in there now.

Mr.SWAG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RRS S/C

Try cleaning the throttle body for a start. . And check your mass air flow sensor

jt321 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Esky

Sounds like your truck is having the same problem as mine awhile back. Check out this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...dies-idle.html

Sounds like the camshaft actuator. Do you get a check engine light or a service traction control light?

jt321- Thanks for the note. When I changed the battery last month, a week after the service traction control warning came on. It went off after 24 hours and hasnt come back on. When I had my plugs and wires changed I had the throttle body cleaned so I dont think that's it. I read your forum and I'm pretty sold on the idea that the camshaft actuator is the issue. I have a couple questions if that's ok? 1. Did yours tend to fail when the truck was warm and running? 2. Was it pretty Intermittent too? 3. Did you ever find a Cadillac service bulletin and could you share that? 4. What was the part number you bought? 5. Did you install it yourself or was it dealer installed? The mechanic that has it now is telling me they won't replace the camshaft actuator because it's showing to be working fine right now. I think he is just being prideful that I am calling him and telling him his job based off a forum responce. They drove the truck for three hours yesterday and couldnt get it to fail. No codes currently.

Damndirtyape is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

I had a very similar issue with an old chevy vortec big block. turned out to be crank position sensor. Dont know if these motors have one but that was my issue. intermittent failures, no start condition, let it sit, then fine, etc. No codes thrown either which was very odd.

jt321 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Esky

1. Did yours tend to fail when the truck was warm and running?

Yes, it only happened when the truck was running for awhile. Like when i would go on a 30 min drive. Once it died, and i let it cool down it would start right back up. But if i tried to crank it over when its warm, it would just crank and wont fire.

2. Was it pretty Intermittent too?

Yes, very intermittent. That's why it took so long for the dealer to replicate the problem. I actually let one of the service tech drive it home, and that finally did the trick, he had a obd reader when it died so he read the code once it died.

3. Did you ever find a Cadillac service bulletin and could you share that?

I did not, Sorry.

4. What was the part number you bought?
    Not sure on part number, its the "camshaft actuator." The dealer first thought it was the camshaft position sensor so they replaced that first, but it died when i was driving home from the dealer.

5. Did you install it yourself or was it dealer installed?
    Dealer installed it.

Honestly with your symptoms, it sounds like the camshaft actuator to me.

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escilade 2009 ESV Platinum
    If you overfill the tank, truck will run rough or stall right after you gas up. For some reason in the winter mostly, if i fill up and top off till she cant take anymore, it is guaranteed to happen. After restart, may do it again after a few miles its fine.

Punmax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Had the same issue, and it turned out to be a camshaft actuator/camshaft positioning sensor (one of the two, can't remember).

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

Check your grounding cables! They corrode from the inside, hard to see. Put a DMM on it and check resistance or the dealer can do it in 5 minutes as well.

As PM keep vasoline or dielectric grease on the ground attaching to the engine block to keep moisture out of the copper strands.

Remember that normally "no codes" = electrical gremlins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.