Picked the wife up a 2007 Escalade. Hoping it wasn't a mistake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Picked the wife up a 2007 Escalade. Hoping it wasn't a mistake in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Anyways, I think I got a decent deal on it.. By no means a steal, but was one of the ...
    Whiterob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Thumbs up Picked the wife up a 2007 Escalade. Hoping it wasn't a mistake

Anyways, I think I got a decent deal on it.. By no means a steal, but was one of the cheapest ones in the area.

has 150k, but has one of those crappy aftermarket warranties that will cover the major components (was thrown in as I would never pay for one.)

It is sitting on some 23" falken's with 305/?/23's

So far I am guessing it needs front struts as there is a definite bump steer. Is that what you guys think? I am new to these.. more of a european car guy.

Can hear the compressor is quite loud for a few seconds when first starting it up? Could it be a bad compressor, which is in effect not putting air to the shocks, making it so bad of a ride?

Needs Passenger front door handle

Also the wheels rub in the fender liner when fully turned, so really would like to get something different for wheels.

Plans so far are new:

tie rod ends (because they are cheap and easy)
    2/3 drop spindles and rear springs (Mcgillicuddys or something
    Shocks/struts (BIG QUESTION HERE!!! should I just convert to a standard shock, or get the auto blah blah ones?????
    Tune Up - Plugs, (Air, Oil, Fuel, Cabin filters)
    Tranny Flush and filter
    Rear Diff drain and refill
    Door Handle
    Coolant Flush

If anyone has any suggestions on what to get, where to get, or what not to get etc. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Picked the wife up a 2007 Escalade. Hoping it wasn't a mistake

How did you give for it?

Door handles are common
    The 23's are probably too wide, offset is wrong for them to hit, stock 24's fit these. Odd size wheel and finding a replacement when you get a flat might prove tough. Clean the wheels up and sell them is an option, someone will buy them.

The front shocks aren't air ride only the rears, that compressor running after start-up is normal for the most part. As long as it only runs for a matter of seconds.

we see a pic of the wife but she's in the truck so you're gonna have to do better than that!..

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

my 2012 ive always heard the compressor the first few seconds to level out the vehicle... so not sure if its 'bad', but there are some people on here that have repalced with an aftermarket one and commented on how much quieter it is. If my windows are down I can hear it, otherwise you would have to pay attention to notice it inside the vehicle.

THere are some nice wheels on tirerack.com for the Escalade as well, and some people swear by USA rim. I bought mine on tirerack and shipped them to Canada and love them
    Zinik Z29s (they are 22 inch, not 29)

haha.. Once we get her back in the gym I will post some haha. (Just had another baby 5 weeks ago, hence going from an XC90 to this)

I also forgot to mention it has I believe every option offered in 07.

It runs amazing, no ticks or weird noises, unlike others we looked at with nearly half the miles, this one is much cleaner (no buttons faded on the dash or anything)

I paid 20.5k out the door (so roughly 19k before tax title license blah blah blah)

any suggestions for a decent price on front struts, or am I going to be stuck paying $300 a piece or so (which isn't really that bad compared to the $5-600 a piece for my Volvo)
    DanShields likes this.

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

$19k is not bad.

That was my thought as well.. ONly other one near that price was an ext of which my wife didn't want. There were a couple others around $20- 22k with similar mileage but I figured this one had all the bells and whistles and that extra $500-1000 I got off will pay for doing the tune up I like to do do to all my cars. (usually replace all the bushings I can as well.. Its amazing how much of a difference the bushings can make)

Excited to dig into this thing though. Should be an adventure and learning process.

LowNslow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Looks damn clean! Congrats, 6.2's a solid motor if maintained properly. Where are you getting the tie rod/ball joints? Im getting a very faint pop sometimes in mine pulling out of the driveway with a decent cut on the wheel.
    Whiterob and Whiterob like this.

I buy a good 75% of my ar parts through rock auto (don't want to link it as they are more than likely not a site sponsor) They are as cheap as $13 a piece through them.

And thank you, Yes she is surprisingly clean for having 150k. Only one small dent (about an inch or so) on the hood. Haven't even found a single door ding.... yet

Other plans I would like to do soon is get it wet sanded and buffed. I am starting to remember how bad keeping a black car nice is... its been a while since I have had black.

texas1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

stock shocks run you $500 each was what i paid plus labor at the dealer looks good for the miles would def sell those wheels soon because of the rim size been odd would be hard to replace a tire since most shops wont have it in stock and your are missing the power assist running boards the fully loaded ones have those

ELUSIVE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE

Looks real nice. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

There are alternative front strut replacements on Arnott's website that is also a sponsor of the forum. They run $400~ for the complete set. I purchased new rear air shocks and compressor from them and the rear suspension rides a lot smoother now.

Thanks for the comments and advice.. $400 a pair is not too bad. My compressor is quite loud when it comes on, so if I stick with the stock type system, I will be replacing it. (almost as loud as my Viair 380's in my old bagged Sonoma)

To Arnott's site I go.....

Also what is the best navigation I can get for this thing? Dealer is paying to replace it since the current one's changer is bad.

I had a bagged blazer xtreme about 8 years ago but I had an engine driven air compressor. As long as the compressor kicks on for a few seconds when you first start your vehicle up then you shouldn't have a problem. As soon as you don't hear it anymore kicking on and your rear end starts sagging, then you will want to assume something happened.

For navigation see if they will replace it with the latest supernav system with bluetooth and USB.

Quote Originally Posted by blackex View Post
    I had a bagged blazer xtreme about 8 years ago but I had an engine driven air compressor. As long as the compressor kicks on for a few seconds when you first start your vehicle up then you shouldn't have a problem. As soon as you don't hear it anymore kicking on and your rear end starts sagging, then you will want to assume something happened.

For navigation see if they will replace it with the latest supernav system with bluetooth and USB.
    Do you know the model number of it? The deal is, they were going to have it fixed (which would have cost them like $900) so I told them I would just find a second hand unit and install it myself if they pay for it. So that being said I am looking on ebay etc. for one. I did offer a guy $800 for a 20955278 who is supposed to be getting back to me.. Is that the latest?

Not sure, there are recent threads of others looking for supernav units on here. Bluetooth isn't a big deal to me and I had an iSimple installed to plug my iphone into the radio and listen to music anyways.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.