Good dealer bad dealer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By 17Oaks
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Good dealer bad dealer in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Odd clicking sound in our Escl, sounds similar to a lifter, but more of a lower pitch than the typical ...
    17Oaks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade-ESV-Platinum

Good dealer bad dealer

Odd clicking sound in our Escl, sounds similar to a lifter, but more of a lower pitch than the typical click they give. Goes away after engine warms up. I am sure its not a lifter, appears to be coming from right front of engine.

Drop off car at old established dealer with a great service rep. Tell him story and he says can you leave it. Sure, call me when you guys figure out what it is.

Get call, things are fine, noise is normal for a high mileage engine like yours (92,000 mi).

Weather gets colder, noise gets louder, wife can now hear it but goes away as engine warms up.

Time for second opinion.

Go to another dealer here in San Antonio called Batchelor Caddy: http://cadillacsanantonio.kenbatchelor.com, 2012 Dealer of the year for Customer Service.

Drop off car, get call 2 days later: Sir, you engine has a slapping piston in the right front bank as you said. We have ordered a new engine that will be here by the end of the week and we should have your car to you by the middle of next week, its all covered by warranty.

I picked up the car, runs perfect and have put 2500 miles on it since, no leaks, no issues, no problems.

Take away: 2nd dealer and 2nd opinion should be your mantra...
    David2008ESV and David2008ESV like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Re: Good dealer bad dealer

Mine has 61k and has this pronounced tick in the right front outside. It's loud when cold. You can hear it inside if the radio is off. Doors open? for sure can hear it. Walk around the truck outside and if you don't hear it, you're deaf.

I just bought it and have their 30/day and the extended warranty.

I've had LS1's and piston slap is common but never heard of a dealer covering it.

Quote Originally Posted by shore View Post
    Mine has 61k and has this pronounced tick in the right front outside. It's loud when cold. You can hear it inside if the radio is off. Doors open? for sure can hear it. Walk around the truck outside and if you don't hear it, you're deaf.

I just bought it and have their 30/day and the extended warranty.

I've had LS1's and piston slap is common but never heard of a dealer covering it.
    They sure did, thank goodness as the total cost on that is about a $6k and beyond bill. Very comprehensive job, they replaced short block assembly, all the fluids hoses, belts you name it, I saw the list and was amazed. Friend of mine went thru the same same on his and they only replaced the pistons in a couple of cyl, bolted it back up and it never ran as good as it did. the other dealer just claimed it as normal and not to worry about it....

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 17Oaks View Post
    Odd clicking sound in our Escl, sounds similar to a lifter, but more of a lower pitch than the typical click they give. Goes away after engine warms up. I am sure its not a lifter, appears to be coming from right front of engine.

Drop off car at old established dealer with a great service rep. Tell him story and he says can you leave it. Sure, call me when you guys figure out what it is.

Get call, things are fine, noise is normal for a high mileage engine like yours (92,000 mi).

Weather gets colder, noise gets louder, wife can now hear it but goes away as engine warms up.

Time for second opinion.

Go to another dealer here in San Antonio called Batchelor Caddy: http://cadillacsanantonio.kenbatchelor.com, 2012 Dealer of the year for Customer Service.

Drop off car, get call 2 days later: Sir, you engine has a slapping piston in the right front bank as you said. We have ordered a new engine that will be here by the end of the week and we should have your car to you by the middle of next week, its all covered by warranty.

I picked up the car, runs perfect and have put 2500 miles on it since, no leaks, no issues, no problems.

Take away: 2nd dealer and 2nd opinion should be your mantra...
    Hello 17Oaks,

I am so happy to hear the second dealership you went to was able to properly diagnose and fix your issue! Glad to know you have put a lot of miles on the vehicle since your engine replacement and have no problems with it. Enjoy driving the Escalade around!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks Laura, just goes to show the value of a second opinion can be worth its weight in gold...

Thanks Laura, just goes to show the value of a second opinion can be worth its weight in gold...
    You are welcome 17Oaks! I agree with second opinions, especially on a vehicle issue. Glad it worked out for you. If there is anything else you need assistance with in the future don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,

Laura M.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    You are welcome 17Oaks! I agree with second opinions, especially on a vehicle issue. Glad it worked out for you. If there is anything else you need assistance with in the future don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,

Laura M.
    WOW, I see you work for the BIG Caddy in the sky.

If you wish, you may shoot them a note about this. Our service advisor was Kristen who did a job over and above what is typically experienced at an auto dealer. Ken Batchelor on Hubner Rd/I-10 in San Antonio Texas is a true stand up company. My wife's (Sally) car was a 2009 White Pearl Caddy Esclade EXT Platinum model. Cannot thank them enough for their customer service.

WOW, I see you work for the BIG Caddy in the sky.

If you wish, you may shoot them a note about this. Our service advisor was Kristen who did a job over and above what is typically experienced at an auto dealer. Ken Batchelor on Hubner Rd/I-10 in San Antonio Texas is a true stand up company. My wife's (Sally) car was a 2009 White Pearl Caddy Esclade EXT Platinum model. Cannot thank them enough for their customer service.
    Thanks for letting us know this information 17Oaks. I have documented a dealership compliment and will also make contact with the dealership to let them them know

Sincerely,

Laura M.

My truck is in the shop today. Told service manager about tick and he heard it faintly this morning when he picked it up. I just got the call that it's a non issue. Tech looked at it and said it requires no attention right now..lol. SM said since it's intermediate. They happened to have another 07 escalade today and they both made the same sound.

Guys, I have this on my phone in a vid. It takes about 5 min of the truck running and then it starts getting louder and louder. Once fully warmed up/driving, it's gone and when cold, it's quiet.

not sure what else to say about it. Might try the local Cadillac dealer next. I want to hear another one make this tick.
    I'll upload a youtube of it doing it a few days ago. This isn't the loudest it gets.
    http://youtu.be/RlF_Im23LhE

My truck is in the shop today. Told service manager about tick and he heard it faintly this morning when he picked it up. I just got the call that it's a non issue. Tech looked at it and said it requires no attention right now..lol. SM said since it's intermediate. They happened to have another 07 escalade today and they both made the same sound.

Guys, I have this on my phone in a vid. It takes about 5 min of the truck running and then it starts getting louder and louder. Once fully warmed up/driving, it's gone and when cold, it's quiet.

not sure what else to say about it. Might try the local Cadillac dealer next. I want to hear another one make this tick.
    I'll upload a youtube of it doing it a few days ago. This isn't the loudest it gets.
    Allow me to add a few thoughts.

The driving force or thinking if you will behind my taking my rig to another dealer was the nature of the sound. It was a MECHANICAL sound. And of all the things that can go wrong under the hood and require attention mechanical tops the list. Mech sound = unusual wear and when this is coming from the engine itself the results will sooner or later be catastrophic!

Looking at a base engine its rather simple and composed of only a few parts. If its making noise out side of leaking down lifters the sound can only lead to ugly sooner or later. Other than leaking lifters I can think of no sound that is normal...its metal on metal!

Get a second and third opinion until someone tells you what is wrong. The answer 'its a normal sound' is BS.

Allow me to add a few thoughts.

The driving force or thinking if you will behind my taking my rig to another dealer was the nature of the sound. It was a MECHANICAL sound. And of all the things that can go wrong under the hood and require attention mechanical tops the list. Mech sound = unusual wear and when this is coming from the engine itself the results will sooner or later be catastrophic!

Looking at a base engine its rather simple and composed of only a few parts. If its making noise out side of leaking down lifters the sound can only lead to ugly sooner or later. Other than leaking lifters I can think of no sound that is normal...its metal on metal!

Get a second and third opinion until someone tells you what is wrong. The answer 'its a normal sound' is BS.
    did you watch my youtube vid? It's public now.

Hello shore,

I am sorry the shop which you took your vehicle to was unable to diagnose your issue. I do agree with 17Oaks that a second and sometimes third opinion can be to your benefit. Are you thinking of taking your vehicle into the local Cadillac dealership?

Regards,

Laura M.

blackex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade Base

did you watch my youtube vid? It's public now.
    I watched the video and nothing really popped out at me as a problematic ticking noise. The noises sound like a normal 6.2l and all the valves idling as they should unless there's a sound that isn't being picked up in the video.

I had an issue with my engine making a loud ticking noise on startup and it would eventually fade away once warmed up however the ticking would speed up when driving. This was after I sucked in a can of seafoam and immediately after the can was sucked in through the vacuum line it began ticking so I shut it off. After that the ticking remained. I took it to my local trusted shop that i've worked with for years and they pulled the upper manifold off and noticed that for some reason oil was just trickling to the upper part of the engine instead of a heavy flow. They wanted to address that issue before doing anything else. Long story short, I ended up having the AFM replaced and a new oil pump installed which didn't fix it. They called into GM and they said to install all new valves to correct the issue. After replacing all the valves they said that oil was now flowing to the upper part of the engine like it should but the noise remained. After working on it some more they noticed a rod had bent from the seafoam and the cylinder was hydrolocked. After a new piston and rod was put in the noise was gone. I'm just curious if these engines have issues with oil flowing to the upper part of the engine because they would not have noticed that without getting into my engine.

Yes I listened to the video and pickup the ticking. That said that could be coming from almost anywhere. What you need to do is isolate the sound to an area. I was able to tell the dealer that my sound was coming from the right cyl bank and it was my guess it was the 2nd or 3rd cyl area, most likely the 2nd. Ok I have a LOT of time under the hood of stuff. See if you can pin it the engine itself at least. There is no shortage of stuff that will cause the sound I heard...

Seafoam: Growing up on a ranch with ranch trucks, tractors and various equipment that burned gas and run low and slow, carbon build up in the values and cyl was always an issue. There are all kinds of 'miracle' cures out there, some work, some work well, some are just a waste of money,

If you are having an issues with carbon build up then you need 'Valve job in a can', NOTHING works better, NOTHING costs less and NOTHING has been around longer.

That's right folks, get yourself a `12 oz can of Water! The safest and most effective cleaner out there. How good, so good we did this as a part of annual spring make ready around the place on anything the burned gas. I learned it from my dad. More difficult today with cars without carbs where we could just remove the air cleaner and pour a can of water down the carb. Not needed as much due to lead free gas.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.