Aftermarket Headunit vs. original
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Aftermarket Headunit vs. original in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me what solution might be the best: A) replacing my Radioheadunit with ...
    Alpha.Romeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Aftermarket Headunit vs. original

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what solution might be the best:
    A) replacing my Radioheadunit with a Navi Headunit and putting in some extras (rear cam, lockpicks) as seen on OEMAUTOPARTS
    B) replacing my Radioheadunit with a aftermarket system (Alpine/Pioneer)
    My problem is that I need a European system because I live in Munich. The other thing is that I have Sport Luxury model and would like to remain my rear seat entertainment system installed an would like to use it for example with an alpine system

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Re: Aftermarket Headunit vs. original

I don't know about tying a factory DVD system in with an aftermarket head unit but I'm sure it's possible. If it were me, however, I would just go with a factory system because I like the clean factory style look. Especially on a $70k-$80k vehicle. Plus, the lockpicks are pretty sweet for overriding limitations and adding multiple cameras.

I'm just not an aftermarket person so personally I recommend the 2012+ Nav system with the CF card reader and USB support (although any nav 2010+ will have USB). Then you just obtain the European version CF card for your map data. You'd have the lock pick and rear camera for some cool new features, full factory USB/iPod integration, reverse camera with color guidelines, and more. And it is guaranteed to work with your factory rear seat entertainment with no advanced wiring needed.

And if you desire aftermarket sound, then just change out your speakers, although the Bose system is pretty powerful and it is hard to find aftermarket speakers that beat it without spending a ton.

franknitty69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade

i would go aftermarket. more features and better navigation. if you use a metra or pac interface you will be able to retain your rear seat entertainment. the only caveat is that you won't be able to control RSE from the back, only from the front.

for instance, from the rear, you will no longer be able to switch between fm, xm, etc. you have to set the rear source from the new head unit.

eljefe7070 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

Crutchfield does offer a PAC interface to help with maintaining the stock SUB, AMP, Steering wheel controls, back up camera, and onstar features. IMHO i prefer it that the folks in the back were not able to change inputs. I'm searching for a screen that I can install above the new headunit. So I can roll with two screens in the dash, 1 over head and two headrest monitors.

Did a search and the only working setup I have seen was in Japan. Anyone else seen this type of setup done before?

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefe7070
    Crutchfield does offer a PAC interface to help with maintaining the stock SUB, AMP, Steering wheel controls, back up camera, and onstar features. IMHO i prefer it that the folks in the back were not able to change inputs. I'm searching for a screen that I can install above the new headunit. So I can roll with two screens in the dash, 1 over head and two headrest monitors.

Did a search and the only working setup I have seen was in Japan. Anyone else seen this type of setup done before?
    Ive installed that interface in a buddy's 2012 yukon xl, it made the install sweet

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.