DRL leds
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, DRL leds in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've come to conclusion I want to switch the DRL's to LEDs, What/where are you guys getting the right bulbs ...
    shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

DRL leds

I've come to conclusion I want to switch the DRL's to LEDs, What/where are you guys getting the right bulbs for this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

Re: DRL leds

Something like this will work: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...4w-1-pair.html

Just be mindful whatever bulb you choose to be uber careful when swapping it out, cause the retaining clip is very fragile and very easy to break. Don't try to remove the bulb straight out of the housing. Twist and pull both the bulb and clip together, then carefully detach the bulb from the clip, then reverse the process.

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

I tried "pure white" 68-SMD LEDs that I had laying around before changing my headlights out to Platinum headlights, but they sucked and I went straight back to halogens.

Definitely don't buy yours off eBay, even from a US seller who says they should be a bright pure white, because they're not. It's much more worth the few extra dollars to get them from someone reputable like V-LEDS. Especially since you're putting these on an Escalade!

As soulsea said those clips are super fragile...I broke mine on one side but it still worked fine as a clip when reinstalling.

the prices sure do vary as do the instructions on changing the drls.

I'd like to do the drl and the parking lights. Then maybe tackle the inside lights.

ELUSIVE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE

I went with 6K LEDs from VLEDs. At night I much prefer the 5K to the 6K (The 6K is too blue for me), but during the day I really like how the 6K looks.

VLEDs has these listed as vehicle specific for the Escalade:
    http://www.vleds.com/cadillac-escala...16-1-pair.html

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Changing the DRLs and parking lights is very simple. Here are some instructions based on how I did it:

Apply masking tape to bumper area around and below headlights to prevent scratching the paint.

Open the hood. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts visible on the headlight assembly (one on top, one to the side).

Turn your wheels all the way to one side. Using a 7mm socket and flathead screwdriver, remove the bolt(s) and clips of the front wheel well/fender liner on the side you are working on. You do not need to remove the liner, just the bolts and clips in the front of it so you can bend it backwards and reach in there.

Using a flashlight, look for the 3rd headlight bolt. It should be very close to the liner and bumper cover. It is not hard to reach. Use the 10mm socket to remove the bolt.

Your headlight is now loose, so wiggle it out. You do not have to remove it, as you should be able to clear enough room.

Then, just twist the bulbs counter-clockwise out of their sockets. Change the bulbs, and reverse the procedure.

Honestly, the worst part is the 3rd bolt, but to me it was only because I decided to use a manual ratchet so it took some time lol. If you use an electric or air ratchet it's much faster but not necessary.

I already gave you the DRL link ... this is the park light: http://www.vleds.com/5k-white-10-led...25-1-pair.html and this is the fog linkie: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...45-1-pair.html

You can always achieve almost the exact same 5000K color temp at a much lower price point by doing it like I did with blue coated filament bulbs: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3274132

As you can see in the linked post, there's a couple of ways to achieve the same effect, I did all VLEDs on my white esky and a combo of vleds and filament bulbs on my current black one.

ok, where should I get the blue coated for the fogs/drls/parking?

I see the LED path will be north of $300 for those 3 pairs.

Well, the leds are $60 (fog), $16 (park), and $60 (drl) ... so around $150 with shipping for all three sets.

The filament bulbs are $17 (fog), $15 (park), $20 (drll) ... s like $60 shipped for the whole thing.

drl: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    park:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    fog: http://www.amazon.com/Nokya-Arctic-W...rds=nokya+9145

You can always try the filament bulb setup like I have on the black esky right now, and if you're not happy with it upgrade to the led.

It's just two different approaches to similar results.

----------

One thing to keep in mind tho ... in the case of both the led and filament setups, they match closest the 5000K Osram CBI HID bulbs I had on both trucks. If you keep your stock Osram 4300K bulbs, your low/high beam will be slightly yellower than the ones in my truck pics. I'm thinking if you choose to keep your existing HID bulbs, the filament bulbs will be a closer match than the led ones.

$62 shipped for the Halogen Vs, $140 shipped for the LEDs. I'm keeping the stock HIDs.

----------

I'm not real concerned about the "closet" as long as it's in the ballpark, I'm more concerned about the better choice in the long run.

Well, you know the price and you have comparison pics with them on on two different Eskys.

What do you do?

cheap me says just do the halogens but that's not going to accomplish LEDs all around. I think LED just have a better appearance. They are also more hit or miss to issues.

again, I'm on the fence. I have both orders open and can't pull the trigger...lol

----------

oh the hell with it, I ordered the LEDs.

The filament bulbs will radiate a lot less heat than the leds, which is better for the overall health of your lamps, but they will not be as bright as the leds. Brightness however isn't really key in this regard because these are all marker lights, except for the fog lamps, but even fogs aren't considered critical lighting ... especially our fogs which are all but useless. So all of this is really more about the 'look' than anything else.

Honestly it's going to be a personal preference thing ... having had both I decided to go with a combination of the filament park and drl, and the led fogs. But that's just me matching the K temperature of my HIDs, with the least likelihood of a led bulb overheating, and not caring about having the brightest drl/park bulbs possible.

----------

lulz, there you go ... congrats on the purchase.

yup, guess we'll see how it goes.

Ghost Deany is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS

I got mine from here. They look pretty good and match the HIDs

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/5202-H16-LE...202_sku_4e.htm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.