Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New 24" Wheels on my ESV

17K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  pktrusty 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a set of 24x10 (+31) replica wheels off ebay and then ordered Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asim's from discount tire in size 305/35/ZR24.
Tires arrived yesterday and today Discount Tire got me all setup. I'm happy with the looks. Stocking looking but larger. Don't know about the ride yet as I haven't really driven it more than 2 miles and with the stock wheels in the back.
Have noticed that at full lock the tires seem to hit the auto running boards.

A pic:

See less See more
#8 ·
Yeah that will happen a little, especially if you're backing up on a hill with the wheels turned, or if you turn in at an angle up a parking ramp and such.

It won't hurt anything but if it bothers you it should be pretty easily remedied with a heat gun on the liner. As long as you're not rubbing on the power assist step you're good.

I want to use 305/35s but I'm worried about rubbing on the assist step so I was gonna go 295/35. But if you're good on the PAS and only rubbing liner then I'll go ahead with the 305s.

-------------------

ETA: For those who may not know, the PAS intrude more into the front wheel wells than the regular running boards, hence the above comment.

----------

Damn, I re-read your OP ... I missed it that you were hitting the PAS and thought it was only liner. :(

How bad is it?

#15 ·
Damn, I re-read your OP ... I missed it that you were hitting the PAS and thought it was only liner. :(

How bad is it?
It's not super bad...but bad enough that I need to do some mods to remedy it as i'm paranoid to fully turn the wheel.

I love the way it looks.
They are balanced very well and have no vibration in the steering wheel so far up to about 75 mph.
Tight turns and compressions I can hear it hitting the liner and really tight turns it hits the PAS.

Here are a few additional pics:

----------

The center cap is the same chrome one as on the rest of the Esky 22s. I'm guessing they kept those to match the other chrome elements on the truck.
Just a note that the center caps on these 24" wheels are very different than the stock 22" center caps. The stock 22's would not fit. I had some issue with the new center caps staying in place so I bought some thin sticky felt pads and stuck them to the inside of the caps it worked great.

----------

E, would a taller tire maybe more 295/40r24 clear to be able to drive it or would that be to big ?

In retrospect, I wish I would have gone with a 295/35/24...but I had real difficulty finding a tire that I liked in this size. I really wanted the Yokohama Parada Spec-x, but they were on national backorder for quite a while. I wasn't willing to go with a cheaper tires so i went the 305 route with the Pirelli's. I'll make some mods and it will be fine...i hope!

----------

Can you not adjust the PAS back a little? I'm in the process of trying to work a deal with a buddy for his 26s (fit fine with 305's on his but he has regular steps) and I've read that you can adjust the steps back a little for clearance. The mount bracket is apparently slotted so you can move it a little.
I'm really hoping that I can. Just 1/2 inch would make a huge difference.

#17 ·
I just did some research on the differences between stock (285/45/22) and these two 24" options (305/35/24 & 295/35/24). I probably should have done this before. :D
You can notice that the 305/35/24 is .8" wider than the stock 285/44/22.
The 295/35/24 looks to be closer to the same outer size as the stock 285/45/22. Interesting stuff:

----------

A couple other pics for those that are interested:

#21 ·
The ride quality isn't all that much different actually. Maybe a tad harsher due tot he lower profile tires.
The tires are also considerably wider (305's), so there is a more responsive feel and it's more prone to following the road grooves.
I'm having some issues with rubbing of the wheel well liner and power assisted steps, but only at 80%+ turn of the wheels.
Haven't had any issues under normal driving conditions...in fact..I really like them. So does the wifey!

#23 ·
S -
My plan is to try and reshape the liner with a heat gun and with regards to the PAS...i'm going to attempt to slide them back 1/4 -1/2 inch. I'm hoping that's possible as i've read on here about some that have done it. I'll explore it this weekend. I can't say for certainly that the 295/35's wouldn't have had the same problem.
In the meantime, i'm just driving really carefully and amidst the reason snow we've had just driving a different vehicle.

#24 ·
Eek, sliding them back, if somehow possible, means they wouldn't line up to the edges of the fenders/q. panels ... this would result in immediate OCD implosion for me. :(

If it's not that significant can't you just trim little of the plastic off the PAS at the inner corner?

#28 ·
Sweet whip! I purchased some 24" replica wheels back in Dec Andrade the same mistake... I went with 305 instead of 285 and have been experiencing some rubbing only when fully locked. It has not been a problem for me, I adjusted my driving a little to avoid u turns etc... Never gave much thought to any sort of modifications to fix the rubbing.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

#29 ·
Sweet whip! I purchased some 24" replica wheels back in Dec Andrade the same mistake... I went with 305 instead of 285 and have been experiencing some rubbing only when fully locked. It has not been a problem for me, I adjusted my driving a little to avoid u turns etc... Never gave much thought to any sort of modifications to fix the rubbing.
Andyou75 - Any longer term affects on the inner liner from the rubbing? Do you feel/hear rubbing on any compressions?
I notice you don't have the power assisted steps. That's probably a good thing for these larger wheels.

#30 ·
Elusive... I don't hear any rubbing other than during sharp turns (which I rarely do anymore). I visually check for any sign of wear today on the tires and front wheel well (did not notice any damage or signs of wear). I think you are right the absence of power running boards is a plus. Like someone mentioned before a 285 or 295 may eliminate the rub all together.

#36 ·
OK, i seriously just laughed out loud quite a bit.
I've driven the Caddy a few times as the weather has finally started getting nice here in Colorado just the past few days.
We seriously have had more snow in April than we have had all year. It's nuts!

I'm still rubbing the liner and the side steps so i've been really really cautious when turning. I really wish i would have gone with the 295/35/24..but I do like the Pirelli tires and they are not available in 295/35/24.
Even being cautious, I've already ripped out one liner clip on the right side.

I'm hoping this weekend to crawl under there and see if I can slide the steps back just a tad to prevent them from hitting.

You're gonna have to stay in your rocker a few more days S!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.