Vcim
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Vcim in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Is there any blue tooth vcim's that won't work in my 08? Seems to be a wide price variance on ...
    hollingass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 ESV ultra luxury

Vcim

Is there any blue tooth vcim's that won't work in my 08? Seems to be a wide price variance on popular auction sites. For plug and play stay away from new?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Vcim

unless you get either lucky or have some very nice friends at a dealership you will lose your onstar system to gain the bluetooth

check this out
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/191111-who-knows-where-find-part-20783877-a.html
    i know it's a long thread but there's a lot of good information in it
    part numbers, diy info, etc
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

From my experience in doing this to my 2008 CTS, if you don't care about OnStar, then any VCIM with the same ports will be fine. You would just lose OnStar. If you want to retain it you would need a used VCIM. Otherwise the if you buy a brand new one it must first be installed in a newer vehicle (where Bluetooth was factory-installed) to be "activated" and then it will be possible for the dealer to program it to your own vehicle.

yeah... getting onstar to work is possible but very tricky and almost nobody that can do it for you will be willing to
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I'm not concerned with having onstar, just frustrated that 2008 Cadillac does not have Bluetooth and my old 2006 dodge pick up truck does!!

Is there an external antenna required for most vcim's or is it built into the box?

it's built into the box ... the box either has a bluetooth antenna port or it doesn't

It has a separate antenna that you will need to purchase if it does not come with it. At least this was the case on my CTS VCIM bluetooth upgrade, and someone here installed a CTS VCIM in their Escalade so that tells me you will need it as well.

often the antenna comes with the VCIM as a package deal ... but it is a separate part technically

Found a couple for a reasonable price, one is a LG out of a sonic, pic only shows one coax plug, no antenna visible or included, another one a Continental out of a camero, has 3 coax with external antenna in one of them, either one will work?

I am 99% sure the Continental one does not have Bluetooth. All the Bluetooth ones I've seen are LG and have one coax plug excluding the antenna port. The Continental one I removed from my CTS that was not Bluetooth sounds exactly like the one you described.

This continental is advertised as having Bluetooth, it comes with the antenna, anybody have any experience with these?

Hm. So it must be the other way around, the LG one from the Sonic probably does not have Bluetooth. There should be a Bluetooth logo on the sticker on the Continental one (although the external antenna is a clear indication). Can you post a pic of the VCIM with its ports visible?

Well I bought the continental, it has a Bluetooth logo on the sticker and a antenna, even with the antenna plugged in there is still 2 open coax connectors. It was installed in a 2010 camero. Once it shows up I will report if it works.

Well I did the swap tonight, everything went smooth, took 15 minutes tops, lots of good info on here had me prepared. Turns out my original vcim is a continental as well. All the plugs matched up, there were no left over plugs or cables, both the blue and purple antennae cables plugged in. Fit the bracket perfectly.
    But......
    When I press the voice button on my steering wheel and say "Onstar" it replies "onstar call" then voice recognition shuts off.
    I will do some more research but I think it is not looking good. Anybody have any hints?

hugozoon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx escalade deville

Not if you get a used unit from a 2010 part#20829984 and mylink will work also

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.