Sneak peek at a work in progress - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Sneak peek at a work in progress in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by SpyShops NY Its pretty cool if this works I am buying the barracuda first should I order ...
    IgotGAME is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyShops NY View Post
    Its pretty cool if this works I am buying the barracuda first should I order it now or wait for you
    It works man...and is actually pretty simple. I am going to try and make a brief walkthrough video tomorrow even though it's not where I want it to be yet, installation wise.

mycaddi408 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade Lux Edition

Re: Sneak peek at a work in progress

What is it??? Car PC with android

Original post updated with a kind of "How to Guide" video.

Hope this works for you guys. Enjoy!

I found this
    http://www.customgadz.com/store/prod...p?id_product=1

It turns your stock OEM Navi screen like your phone or tablet screen

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Thanks for the video update. Definitely like the setup, so I'm trying to come up with a way to install it and make it look as clean as possible. I had no idea those Android TV sticks existed until you showed us lol.

It would also be cool to integrate a mobile hotspot into the truck. I know they have an accessory kit for that.

Very cool idea, man. Being able to check e-mail, browse the web, stream video and audio, etc. really makes the vehicle more connected and fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mycaddi408 View Post
    I found this
    http://www.customgadz.com/store/prod...p?id_product=1

It turns your stock OEM Navi screen like your phone or tablet screen
    Buy that...get it working..and make a video how to.

I did some reading on it and I guess the unit hooks up to our existing OEM Navi screen and it should work.I contacted customer service to see if we actually have to buy the touchscreen overlay "digitizer"or not to get the full experience like our touch screen phones or tablets. Don't know how fast this company will be replying back to me.

For right now, I am going to go your route with the $70 stick. I was thinking of putting mine in the glove box since there is already power there (cig lighter). I was thinking of using an A/V splitter off of the rear entertainment and run A/V wires (red, white, yellow)to the glove box.

Lets let Soulsea tackle this from website below. I want to see this working in the truck before I take the leap of faith.
    http://www.customgadz.com/store/

I did some reading on it and I guess the unit hooks up to our existing OEM Navi screen and it should work.I contacted customer service to see if we actually have to buy the touchscreen overlay "digitizer"or not to get the full experience like our touch screen phones or tablets. Don't know how fast this company will be replying back to me.

For right now, I am going to go your route with the $70 stick. I was thinking of putting mine in the glove box since there is already power there (cig lighter). I was thinking of using an A/V splitter off of the rear entertainment and run A/V wires (red, white, yellow)to the glove box.

Lets let Soulsea tackle this from website below. I want to see this working in the truck before I take the leap of faith.
    http://www.customgadz.com/store/
    Yea I would like to see someone get that working. Pretty cool if it could work like that.

One thing I will say about "where to locate my install", I chose the cigarette lighter area because I have already pulled the ash tray out and drilled a hole in the bottom of the plastic a while back because I had run a 3.5mm audio cable to my kenwood switch for my cell phone. Plus it's clean and I can close it up and no one will ever know it's there. It's also easy for me to just swap that 3.5mm audio cable cable with a 3.5mm RCA one plus that location allows me to easily unplug the device. Being able to unplug the device is important to me because of what I am going to talk about below.

One thing I don't know is this, once you plug the device in, it comes on...when you shut the device down using the shutdown option that's built into in the Android software, the device powers off, but the light is still on. I don't know if it's safe for the battery to leave this device plugged it all at times. I am not sure how much drain it's puts on the battery. Not to mention if you do leave it plugged it all the time, well once it powered on..it would never power off if you didn't shut it down or unplug it. So for now, I've been shutting it down via the built in software option, then just pulling the cigarette charger out just a little to cut the power. This is easy to do if the device is in my ash tray area, but in a glove box...not so much. That's something to think about. I've been wondering if it's just safe to pull the charger out to just power the device off without shutting it down via the software option. I am pretty sure it would be, but I've just been shutting it down and then pulling the cigarette lighter power. When I want to use the device (which isn't all the time), I just push the lighter back in to power it up.

Just some things to think about

I get what you are saying about the install. So the device just piggy backs off of your wifi hotspot on your phone.

I get what you are saying about the install. So the device just piggy backs off of your wifi hotspot on your phone.
    Yes.. when i activate my phones hotspot/mobile access point option...the android device connects to my phone and uses my cell phones 3g/4g signal to access the internet.

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

According to their FAQs you don't need it whatsoever.

Q. My OEM display and headunit already has a touchscreen, do I need to overlay a special on one top of it to use with the MimicsX2?
    A. No, our system has been designed specifically to inteface to almost every factory OEM touchscreen.

I've updated the first post with a link to the device I own and that link also contains the Remote Control APK app you can download and install on your phone to control the device. I didn't buy my device from that site, but since it has the Remote Control APK, I thought it would be best to link to it.

brianvez512 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2006 STS

Is there an option to screencast from your phone? You could run a GPS program like WAZE on your phone and screencast to the dongle. I did a similar hook up for my jailbroken Iphone. i was able to output over the cable directly from the phone to the screen. I put all the wiring in the center console, there is plenty of room under the cup holder/ash tray. I have switched to android and I have been looking for a solution to get that hooked up and this is a great idea. Using the touch screen would be great but any solution may be very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by brianvez512 View Post
    Is there an option to screencast from your phone? You could run a GPS program like WAZE on your phone and screencast to the dongle. I did a similar hook up for my jailbroken Iphone. i was able to output over the cable directly from the phone to the screen. I put all the wiring in the center console, there is plenty of room under the cup holder/ash tray. I have switched to android and I have been looking for a solution to get that hooked up and this is a great idea. Using the touch screen would be great but any solution may be very expensive.
    Yea I am thinking about different things like WAZE...we'll see if I come up with anything viable. If you had an old iphone you could still use it to do this too...of course Android is way cooler though :P

I will say that Rockchip Phone controller app is awesome...I don't even use the keyboard/touchpad thing anymore.

brianvez512 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2006 STS

I ordered the Android stick yesterday. Here is one suggestion about making things more seamless. I installed Tasker on my phone and created a profile that turns on the wi-fi spot when the phone is plugged in and it turns it off when it is unplugged. This saves the hassle of manually turning the hotspot on and off. I hope the manufacture of the Android stick would incorporate GPS at some point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.