Platinum LED Headlamps - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Platinum LED Headlamps in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ah I see. Thank you. Also I edited my post - I was wondering if you think that maybe the ...
    zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Re: Platinum LED Headlamps

Ah I see. Thank you. Also I edited my post - I was wondering if you think that maybe the modified harness has caused the headlamp dropping issue?

I have my dad's body shop, but do you happen to know what steps it takes to get the harness out of there? I know you left yours with the dealer so I was thinking only WaterKing really knows how to do it.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

Let's put it this way ... the harness runs inside the engine bay and has several connection points. Ultimately it connects underneath the fuse box, but to make that happen you will need to actually unbolt and be able to lift the fuse box (or at least the fuse box bracket) so as to access the connection points. From the little I observed it's not that it's particularly difficult, it's just tricky and time consuming work. It has a proper path it must follow.

Hm. I may leave it to the dealership then, if they'll even do that. I was wanting to do it myself when installing the Platinum fascia but it looks like it may be too tricky for me. I'll decide once I get a harness in, modified or original.

mycaddi408 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade Lux Edition

I have a great idea how about when you have the lights and the harness pulled out take pictures of both harnesses and show us the differences between them. If I could see the real thing VS a diagram that would be extremely helpful.

If you could do one great thing, this would be it soulsea

Thank you

Mmm, I'm not doing the swap myself so I won't be there when they're both out side by side.

However, what I can do is take a picture of my HID harness now and take a picture of my LED harness after the swap ... would that work?

I'm not sure the two harnesses will look any different, except for the sockets and the resistor built into the LED harness.

It would at least give us some visuals.

You know, going back through the posts here on this thread, I did technically call dibs first on those lights right after you posted about the falling issue...

Would the set include the replacement lights that have not "fallen"?

lol, well I PMed moekhansa but haven't herd back from him yet.

If he decides to pass on them then you're up next zach. And the set includes the brand new driver's side and the current passenger side lamps.

moekhansa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade
    Hey im sorry i haven't been on the forum but im still interested in then

WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

Like I said I don't get on here very much.....here is a link to some pictures I just posted to flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/candice2010/. The pictures are not really captioned so it will seem confusing and I don't have the time to edit them or find the rest. Once one has done the front fascia removal once or twice you can usually have the fascia off in about twenty minutes but plan on two hours for the first time. With the fascia off it is EASY to change the front wiring harness....as long as the connectors match up with what you had on the HID vehicle. It is also easy to remove the HID's and replace them with the LEDs. Since the innner plastic wheel wells had to be changed when changing to platinum fascia this is done at that time as well. The fuse box will have to removed from its holder and you may have to remove the holding down bracket to get to the front harness connector,...I don't remenber but the job is not hard, particularly if you remove the corner brace at the rear first. CAUTION..DO NOT unbolt the fuse box holding bracket without removing the fuse box first and make sure the battery is disconnected. Tie into the wire going to the DLR relay and run it to the appropriate pin in the front harness connector and run a wire from that same junction via a diode to the ground pin of the connecter of the low beam headlight relay covering it with heat shrink. Reattach the fuse box holder, put the plugs back in making sure that the diode is not crimped or crushed underneath the plug when it is put back in....put the fuse box back in, remove the DLR relay from the fuse box.....Check operation. It will take about thirty mintes or so the reinstall the front fascia....Of course changing to the platinum front fascia requires a little more effort but we are only talking about the headlights here. Although I know it can be done..I would never change out even one headlight without removing the front fascia...it is simply too easy to break something. On the initial install I think it absolutely necessary to remove the front fascia. With tools in hand average time is 30-45 minutes for anyone who has done this just one time before. Note, you cannot go back to HID without removing the LED front harness and reinstalling the HID harness and vicesa/versa. I have done this at least three times and it is NOT hard. If the link not in accordance with forum rules and is removed...PM me for it

P.S. All that blue wire in the one picture is from inside the HID front harness....they used about thirty feet of wire wrapped back and forth in the harness as a resistor ....I took it apart to get the wiring for the extra sensor wire and connector the 2007/2008's have so I could use it in the LED harness.
    zach2011 and zach2011 like this.

So this is the step to get working DRL, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by WaterKing
    Tie into the wire going to the DLR relay and run it to the appropriate pin in the front harness connector and run a wire from that same junction via a diode to the ground pin of the connecter of the low beam headlight relay covering it with heat shrink.
    I assume this is basically saying we tap into the DRL relay and ground it for reduced light. Where is the DRL relay wire located? And the ground pin is found on the same connector as the low beam headlight relay, so is there one for each headlight or one per LED harness?

Okay so a little update ... the lamps and harness are off the truck, so the harness and passenger side lamp are ready to ship. I haven't received the new replacement driver's side headlamp, but I am assured it'll be here today or tomorrow, so when it gets here I'll update those who are interested in purchasing the set.

On a side note, I talked to the tech who did the conversion, and realized that the low beam to DRL hookup wasn't done in the harness, but instead was apparently done in my fuse box. So the harness is exactly stock as it came from GM and will operate the headlamps with all regular functions but the DRL. (sorry zach)

However, the tech was finally nice enough to send me the details of what he did (if you need a bigger version I can email you one):

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Otherwise if you insist on having DRL you can also use the methodology waterking so kindly provided.

I'll post here when the new lamp arrives.

Just wanted to update..

Got my lights for an amazing deal of about $750. Could NOT be happier with them. I do want to note that the front lamp harness I ordered had to be modified, not sure if WaterKing or soulsea's techs ran into that issue. It may be that I ordered a Platinum harness from a different year model than 2010...but I had to swap the airbag sensor connectors which required soldering. Other than that it wasn't all that hard to do, but very time consuming because it has what feels like a million clips to undo.

Also, I don't even really care about the DRL issue enough to modify anything. I remembered maybe once that they weren't running in the times I've driven it since the install and other than that nothing crosses my mind. The point of the DRL is so other drivers can see you coming a bit easier and honestly based on other Platinums I've seen these headlights suck at the DRL functionality standpoint...I can't tell they're on until the vehicle is about to drive past me because of the low intensity and sunlight-type color. So I am OK with no DRLs.

I have to say I love the look at night when it's remote started with just the parking lights on. My previous CTS had the same LED tube thing and the truck looks just as awesome. Also, I can hardly tell a difference between the LED and HID output, except my cutoff line was lower, but I aimed them upwards.

Overall it was $850 with the harness and it was very well spent. Plus, selling my old headlights will cover most if not all of that cost.

Anyways here's the end result:

soulsea and soulsea like this.

chakde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade EXT, 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum

Looking awesome.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Looks great!! You either love it or hate and I love it!!!!

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

I see these LED headlights on Ebay an they are like $1k each. How are you guys getting them for $750 for both or am I missing something?

What would a caddy dealer charger to install these?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.